Closed Thread

Old 12-18-2014, 11:05 AM   #61
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricochet View Post
I bought my 2011 Ram new, and it DOES have a factory exhaust brake, which can be engaged separately from the tow/haul mode. I liked that particular feature better than the Chevy/GMC. Also, NOT having to put cat pee in my truck every 5000 miles makes me a happy camper. Deletes and mods are easier, too.
The GM exhaust brake is also selectable whether in, or out, of tow/haul mode. The difference being that when in tow/haul mode the engine brake works harder. I also noticed a difference between my 2500 & 3500 engine brake, with the 3500 having more stopping power (this could purely be my imagination though). I can't speak for the Fords.

Old 12-18-2014, 11:35 AM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironj View Post
Ironically, when we are all talking "trucks" at my shop, all the big 3 get good praise from owners. But EVERY SINGLE ONE who sees my powerfolds and does not have them wishes they did...and would have paid dearly for em.

As for ease of maintenance, the ford oil is the easiest to change of all my vehicles...I can crawl under it without even jacking it, and the filter is insanely easy to get to. You need a big pan and that 3 gallons of oil shoots out a ways when you pull the plug!

The 2 fuel filters are a pretty simple and quick affair as well..one under truck, and one under hood...just gotta be gentle with the plastic housing. ..I change em every 12000 (only 2x so far lol)

Ive only had to take it in shop to have the coolant additive checked...you can do it at home but I didn't want to mess with or invest in the test strip..
I made my oil change even easier. I added a quick change oil drain valve. It's a brass petcock that replaces your drain plug and has a nipple on the end to add a piece of rubber hose. So, I set up like you under the truck without lifting, put the hose on the petcock and drain into empty gallon oil jugs. When one get's full I just close the petcock and switch to an empty gallon. As for the filter, yes, VERY easy to get to but I found punching a hole in it drains 90% of the oil so it doesn't go flying when you thread it off. This truck is by far the neatest oil change of any vehicle I've ever owned. Agreed on the ease of fuel filter changes too! As for the mirrors, they've been listed as "late availability" on Rams since 2011! Any day now Ram...

Old 12-18-2014, 11:38 AM   #63
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricochet View Post
Deletes and mods are easier, too.
Out of curiosity. ...
What's easier ?
Old 12-18-2014, 12:14 PM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by taken View Post
I made my oil change even easier. I added a quick change oil drain valve. It's a brass petcock that replaces your drain plug and has a nipple on the end to add a piece of rubber hose. So, I set up like you under the truck without lifting, put the hose on the petcock and drain into empty gallon oil jugs. When one get's full I just close the petcock and switch to an empty gallon. As for the filter, yes, VERY easy to get to but I found punching a hole in it drains 90% of the oil so it doesn't go flying when you thread it off. This truck is by far the neatest oil change of any vehicle I've ever owned. Agreed on the ease of fuel filter changes too! As for the mirrors, they've been listed as "late availability" on Rams since 2011! Any day now Ram...
Yes I have thought about a hose on the plug setup....but I use a 17qt pan and I know where to put it now to catch the shooting oil....lol

And also I forgot, but yes..I punch a hole in the filter too to drain it....

One nitrile glove and one cold beer is all it takes....heck its more work putting the used oil back in the jugs and taking it to the recycler! ....

As for frequency, I change mine every 7000 miles...ive had it tested and could go longer....but its no big deal...as I only put 7000-10,000 miles a year on it anyway. ..same with the fuel filters....I know the computer would tell me when it NEEDED it....but I do it on my schedule anyway....
2012 lacrosse 318bhs touring- sold
Old 12-18-2014, 04:36 PM   #65
Phat Phrog Stunt Crew

My 2012 350 never did tell me to change the fuel filters. I just got scared and changed them at 20,000. If my memory serves me correctly the owners manual says 22500 but under 60 for the filters and 20 minutes of my time is pretty cheap insurance.

Old 12-18-2014, 04:39 PM   #66
Phat Phrog Stunt Crew

I take mine in to a Dodge dealer to have the oil changed. My brother is a service writer for them and I get a full inspection and tire rotation for about $80

Old 12-18-2014, 04:50 PM   #67

I'm a Ford guy but ended up with a '14 Ram 2500... and I really like it... The dealer's service department... not so much.
Old 12-18-2014, 05:42 PM   #68
Phat Phrog Stunt Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by schrederman View Post
I'm a Ford guy but ended up with a '14 Ram 2500... and I really like it... The dealer's service department... not so much.
Did you test drive a 6.7 superduty. Was just wondering why you went with ram. As I said my brother works for a Chrysler dealer and I may go with a Ram for my next truck if the circumstances are right

Old 12-18-2014, 05:55 PM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenHwy61 View Post
I'm confused why the truck's computer is telling you to change oil that frequently. Cummins recommends a much longer interval up to 15,000 miles for the Ram trucks. I'm not sure what the Dmax and Powerstroke recommend.
I was wondering the same thing, but I think I have the answer--I think the computer may be set up the same for all the engines, gas and diesel, because mine tells me I need an oil change at 5k but my dealer has told me 10k with synthetic. So I guess I need to have my computer's OCI reprogrammed for every 10, not every 5. I imagine that needs to be done by a tech with the correct gizmo...
2016 Ford Fusion Titanium (gulping gas again, camping support vehicle)
2014 Harley Davidson FLHX (XLR cargo)
2011 Ram 2500 CC 4X4 CTD, B&W Companion (toy hauler hauler)
Old 12-18-2014, 06:04 PM   #70
Phat Phrog Stunt Crew

I change the oil in my 6.7 F-350 every 7500 and the change oil message has never come up I always reset the computer every time I have the oil changed. Guess I am just a little leery about trusting the computer to tell me when the oil needs to be changed. Besides I can't see where changing the oil too often can hurt anything.

Closed Thread

Tags
diesel, truck