Closed Thread

Old 12-18-2014, 06:07 PM   #71

As mentioned, if configuration is important, you may end up with a Ford. I wanted a 1 ton short bed SRW crew cab. Only Ford had that config. readily available for 2014 (I think I could have ordered it on the GM, but I am not sure).

As far as engine choices, GM and Ford Diesels seem to have the least problems. The Ram 6.7 Cummins is still suffering some issues with the newer emissions stuff (at least according to my RAM friends). GM seems to get the best fuel mileage of the three, but Ford seems to have the most power and torque to the ground. If you are looking at Fords in the 2011-2014 range, be sure to check the radiator for leaks. They are still having some issues with the end tanks leaking (seems to be about 1 in 10). My neighbor just had his in the shop getting the radiator replaced.

Interior wise, go with what you like. In the year range you are looking at, I think Ford had about the best interior available (though the MyFord Touch can be quirky if it does not have the current software update). The GM interior was certainly not my favorite; I though it looked and felt cheap, though my wife said it was fine. GM has come a long way with the 2015 truck interiors, but I still prefer the Ford. The Ram interior looks great when it is new, but has some real durability issues long term (also according to my RAM friends).

Lastly, RAM is sort of known for building about the worst body out there. It just seems these trucks can't stay together. My Father in law worked transcontinental natural gas pipelines for years. He just retired. His company had trucks from all of the big three. The Ford and GMs held up very well, but the Dodge/RAM trucks had tons of issues with the body panels rattlings, doors coming out of alignment, etc... They also had lots of issues with ball joints, etc... I have heard some of the same from my RAM friends that have "street queens".

With all that said, you can probably figure out I went Ford when I bought my truck this past summer. I do really enjoy this truck. The power is pretty incredible, and for a 1 ton truck, it rides very nice.

A couple of last pieces of advice:
1. Heated and cooled seats are AWESOME!!!!!!!!!
2. Seriously look at the 1 ton trucks. When I bought mine the F350 was all of $400.00 more than the same F250, and I got 1400lbs of additional payload (upgraded spring packs, thicker axles and ring gears).

Fiver: '15 Puma 295BHSS Anniversary Edition
Past TV: '13 F150 HD Payload SCrew EB, '08 Tundra CrewMax 5.7L, '02 'Burb 5.3L, '97 Dakota 3.9L
Past Trailers: '09 Wildwood LE 27RB, '02 Palomino Yearling RL, '87 Jayco 1006dlx
Old 12-18-2014, 06:14 PM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by campingwilliamsons View Post
2. Seriously look at the 1 ton trucks. When I bought mine the F350 was all of $400.00 more than the same F250, and I got 1400lbs of additional payload (upgraded spring packs, thicker axles and ring gears).
This is incorrect. The SRW 350 and the 250 are identical other than a single overload spring and a taller rear spacer block under the spring pack. As of late 2014, the 250's are now coming with the taller 4" block. They can also be ordered with the camper package which will give you the overload spring. So, in other words, a 250 can be optioned to be 100% physically identical from the factory to a SRW 350. It is underrated on paper and the sticker, but the physical parts are the same. The main spring pack, axles, gears, brakes, frame... etc. are all 100% identical.

Old 12-18-2014, 06:29 PM   #73

In Ohio the license plates are much more expensive on a 350/3500 than a 250/2500.....does not make any sense really since they both have four wheels on the pavement 😞
Old 12-18-2014, 06:33 PM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavynlori View Post
In Ohio the license plates are much more expensive on a 350/3500 than a 250/2500.....does not make any sense really since they both have four wheels on the pavement 😞

This is why Ford still makes a 250 even though it is identical to the 350. Certain states really knock you silly with registration and insurance when you're over certain GVWR. Same reason you can also order a de-rated 350. Same truck, different numbers on the sticker to save the buyer long term fees.
Old 12-18-2014, 07:29 PM   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by TURBS View Post
Out of curiosity. ...
What's easier ?
You don't have to plug the cat pee tank
Old 12-18-2014, 07:30 PM   #76
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricochet View Post
You don't have to plug the cat pee tank
Lol mine don't have it. Never did
Old 12-18-2014, 08:11 PM   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackman1994 View Post
Did you test drive a 6.7 superduty. Was just wondering why you went with ram. As I said my brother works for a Chrysler dealer and I may go with a Ram for my next truck if the circumstances are right
Yes, I drove the Ford, and wanted one. I didn't realize that Ford had already released the '15 models in July and I couldn't find a '14. The Ford was going to be $6K or so more equipped the same way, so I bought the Ram. I'm not sorry, so far. I have 9K miles on it and have towed 3 times with it, for a total of about 2,800 towing miles. I couldn't have been happier with the Ford, so I didn't spend the extra bucks.

Regards... and Merry Christmas!
Old 12-18-2014, 10:52 PM   #78

[QUOTE=campingwilliamsons;752211]As mentioned, if configuration is important, you may end up with a Ford. I wanted a 1 ton short bed SRW crew cab. Only Ford had that config. readily available for 2014 (I think I could have ordered it on the GM, but I am not sure).

As far as engine choices, GM and Ford Diesels seem to have the least problems. The Ram 6.7 Cummins is still suffering some issues with the newer emissions stuff (at least according to my RAM friends). GM seems to get the best fuel mileage of the three, but Ford seems to have the most power and torque to the ground. If you are looking at Fords in the 2011-2014 range, be sure to check the radiator for leaks. They are still having some issues with the end tanks leaking (seems to be about 1 in 10). My neighbor just had his in the shop getting the radiator replaced.

Interior wise, go with what you like. In the year range you are looking at, I think Ford had about the best interior available (though the MyFord Touch can be quirky if it does not have the current software update). The GM interior was certainly not my favorite; I though it looked and felt cheap, though my wife said it was fine. GM has come a long way with the 2015 truck interiors, but I still prefer the Ford. The Ram interior looks great when it is new, but has some real durability issues long term (also according to my RAM friends).

Lastly, RAM is sort of known for building about the worst body out there. It just seems these trucks can't stay together. My Father in law worked transcontinental natural gas pipelines for years. He just retired. His company had trucks from all of the big three. The Ford and GMs held up very well, but the Dodge/RAM trucks had tons of issues with the body panels rattlings, doors coming out of alignment, etc... They also had lots of issues with ball joints, etc... I have heard some of the same from my RAM friends that have "street queens".

I was wondering if any owners of later model Rams have had any of these basic quality issues? I have never owned a Dodge/Ram but my previous two chevys had their share of problems including a recent $2200 for a new transfer case caused by the infamous "pump rub" problem.

Seasonally in the Grand Marias, MN campground
On the beautiful shores of Lake Superior

Aviator Wright-Flyer#1908
2012 Ram 2500HD CTD
Old 12-19-2014, 01:10 AM   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by taken View Post
This is incorrect. The SRW 350 and the 250 are identical other than a single overload spring and a taller rear spacer block under the spring pack. As of late 2014, the 250's are now coming with the taller 4" block. They can also be ordered with the camper package which will give you the overload spring. So, in other words, a 250 can be optioned to be 100% physically identical from the factory to a SRW 350. It is underrated on paper and the sticker, but the physical parts are the same. The main spring pack, axles, gears, brakes, frame... etc. are all 100% identical.
That certainly contradicts what the service manager at the dealer told me. He said the axles (not axle housings), ring gears, rear drive shaft and rear carrier bearings all have unique part numbers for the 250 vs 350 at least in the case of the axles and driveshafts, the F350 parts were built differently. As far as 2014 250's coming with 4 inch blocks, there were zero stock F250 trucks at the largest Ford truck dealer in Houston (as well as the 2nd and 3rd largest dealers) that had that configuration when I was buying in May (2014 truck production stopped early 2014). I did not look at the 2015 trucks, as they were $5K-$6K more than the 2014s. As far as the camper package, I am sure you can add that to a 250, and maybe it cost less than the "upgrade" from the 250 to the 350. That said, dealers don't stock many F250s with camper packages (I think that package requires going to a long bed) and even at that, the truck it is still rated as a F250 from a payload and towing standpoint.

At the end of the day, even if they are can be optioned to be nearly identical or identical (which I am still not convinced of, but I will remain open minded), the price difference between the 3/4 ton and the 1 ton SRW truck is minimal compared to the piece of mind (and manufacturer ratings) you gain. Assuming the worst does not happen, you are fine. However, it will take one accident and a good civil suit attorney to make you regret not spending the $400.00-$1000.00 up front. I can tell you from past employment of my spouse, those attorney's are ruthless and they hire very qualified, very educated and very well paid experts to reconstruct every detail of an accident. Whenever a truck/trailer combo is involved (at fault or otherwise), those experts are certain to look at and record vehicle, axle and tire ratings. A jury that hears you are exceeding the operational limits of the vehicle as set by the manufacturer will award against you every time (regardless of your fault in causing said accident), especially if there was injuries/death.
Fiver: '15 Puma 295BHSS Anniversary Edition
Past TV: '13 F150 HD Payload SCrew EB, '08 Tundra CrewMax 5.7L, '02 'Burb 5.3L, '97 Dakota 3.9L
Past Trailers: '09 Wildwood LE 27RB, '02 Palomino Yearling RL, '87 Jayco 1006dlx
Old 12-19-2014, 02:27 AM   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by taken View Post
Ive argued this with ford techs and self styled internet ford gurus.....

The 350 has a diff axle diameter and spline ..I swapped them on mine, I saw it with my own eyes....they were/are different.....now maybe things have changed for 2012+...I dunno. .never bothered to disassemble another one....the camper pack gives you 1up springs in front and rear, BUT is dependent on package selected.. (on a 4wd with plow package its the same)...you do get a rear sway bar with camper pack.....I have not seen a 250 with taller rear block.....late or new year...

Not trying to argue, just relaying what I have seen. Personally....one of my clients builds these for a living. ..just took a ford 6door custom super duty and a dodge to sema recently...i took my axle off his brand new f350.....it was NOT an f250 axle..

2012 lacrosse 318bhs touring- sold
Closed Thread

Tags
diesel, truck