Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 12-17-2014, 05:03 PM   #41

The Rams, 2500 and 3500, are made in Mexico and that may be a factor in the cost?
In 2011 when I was looking at a diesel truck, the Chev/GMC was a lot more expensive then the Ram or Ford and when I asked the salesperson about that he just stated that it was a good price for the truck. The Ram was the next in price and at that time they had what I consider old technology (no DEF or exhaust brake). I ended up with a 2011 F250, XLT, CC, longbed, diesel, auto, for the lowest price of the three, $39,125 plus TT & L. I have been very pleased. I live in a county of Texas, Montgomery, were one half of all registrations are pickups and therefore there are lots of them for sale and I do know that a lot of the time we can get then for less then say up north because of that. Good Luck
Old 12-17-2014, 07:03 PM   #42

Well, I just may be a tad biased, as I’ve been buying GMC trucks for the last 20 years, every time I traded, the new truck had more horsepower, more tech goodies, better mileage, and yes, even a higher price tag. Anticipating a first ever purchase of a 5th wheel toy hauler in November, I began my research… both for the future truck and the fiver.. in October.

2015 GMC SLT Duramax / Allison ¾ ton Crew Cab 4x4. My first diesel. My first ¾ ton. 400 hp. SLT with the bells, whistles, and even a bunch of yee haws! It has so many buttons and functions they should offer a course at the local college… One function gives you the current mpg… and will average that mpg at selected mileage groupings of your choice.. I use 50 miles to get my average… my best 50 mile mpg…. 24.7, yep 24.7 @ 52 mph, after 4000 miles… I think I can beat that … think I can get 26 @ 47 mph…
My previous truck was a GMC SLT 2010 5.7 l V8 gas ½ ton. Nice truck. But this 2500 with the 6.7 l Duramax and Allison Transmission… well, it makes me feel like that previous truck was a toy.

The power and torque for me, at least … well the quick message is: this vehicle was built for pulling and hauling. On my recent trip through the ozarks, this truck confirmed my suspicions that i need not worry about ascending or descending those slopes with almost 6 tons rolling along behind me. Not a concern at all.

Whatever you get for your towing rig… its better to have more power and capacity than you think you need..

Oh… that MPG when pulling that rig... it went down to 12 mpg…. but it never let me down!
Old 12-17-2014, 07:42 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by whj77372 View Post
The Ram was the next in price and at that time they had what I consider old technology (no DEF or exhaust brake).
A buddy of mine had what I'm sure was a 2003 an it had an exhaust brake on the side of the manual gearshift. It may have been aftermarket but I know his 2009 has the same thing as my 2012, a button on the dash.
Old 12-17-2014, 08:21 PM   #44
campr-pete

Diesel Trucks

About 3 weeks ago I started looking at diesel trucks 3500 series (1 Ton ) I looked at dodge, chevy and ford and I decided on the Chevrolet 3500hd drw Silverado LTZ with the discounts I got from GM it was my best deal. I also liked the interior the best along with the bells and whistles. Looked at a lot of comparisons that had different results where each of the big 3 did good. Fuel mileage was almost always better on the chevys the duramax has been a success for years and Allison trans has been superior to the others,. Owned a 2006 f-350 6.0 had excellent fuel mileage when it was on the hook always something wrong could have just been a lemon? All three are now so comparable that its your flavor go for what you like.
Old 12-17-2014, 09:21 PM   #45

I stand corrected "This is incorrect. Navistar International made the 6.0 and the 6.4 as well. The 6.7 is Ford's entry into making their own diesel which started in 2011. It was re-engineered for the 2015 model year and now has 440HP, 860TQ, and a real exhaust brake."

Anyway we had a 2001 and 2003 with 7.3 and a 2006 and 2007 with a 6.0 or 6.4 and actually traded the 2006 and 2007 in on 2-2014 6.7 Fords keeping the 2001 & 2003 because of how many issues we had.

Doesn't Ford use the cummings and Allison in the F650 & F750 and use to use it in the F550?

2015 Ford F-650-750 Work Trucks | View Full Specification Library | Ford.com
Old 12-17-2014, 10:37 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyED View Post
Doesn't Ford use the cummings and Allison in the F650 & F750 and use to use it in the F550?

2015 Ford F-650-750 Work Trucks | View Full Specification Library | Ford.com
Ford never used the Cummins in the F450/550. The 650/ 750, yes. As far as the new 650/750, the link you posted says they offer the Cummins. I read somewhere that Ford was not going to offer the Cummins in them anymore, but who knows.
2016 Nights camped 5
Old 12-17-2014, 11:37 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackman1994 View Post
I don't understand why anyone would want to tune a new diesel. My Ford has plenty of power from the factory at I believe 400 hp and 800 lb ft of torque. Did I say I love my 6.7 POWERSTROKE
Agreed. I don't nessarily want to "tune" my Cummins, but I'd like to do the deletes and remove the EGR (let's funnel dirty air back into the intake and see what happens,) the DPF (let's choke off the exhaust with a super-restrictive filter that requires me to burn more fuel to get the same HP we had before without it--plus burning even more for the regen--all in the name of the environment,) and the NoX filter (ditto.). I'd just like it to be more efficient and have a longer lasting engine without the issues all the EPA emissions garbage causes. It sure doesn't need more power.
2019 Honda CRV (camping support vehicle)
2014 Harley Davidson FLHX (XLR cargo)
2011 Ram 2500 CC 4X4 CTD, B&W Companion (toy hauler hauler)
Old 12-18-2014, 07:09 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taranwanderer View Post
Agreed. I don't nessarily want to "tune" my Cummins, but I'd like to do the deletes and remove the EGR (let's funnel dirty air back into the intake and see what happens,) the DPF (let's choke off the exhaust with a super-restrictive filter that requires me to burn more fuel to get the same HP we had before without it--plus burning even more for the regen--all in the name of the environment,) and the NoX filter (ditto.). I'd just like it to be more efficient and have a longer lasting engine without the issues all the EPA emissions garbage causes. It sure doesn't need more power.
That's like saying "let's get rid of all the stop signs and red lights, they just slow us down and make us use more fuel". When did doing something good for the environment become a bad thing?
Old 12-18-2014, 07:46 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by whj77372 View Post
The Rams, 2500 and 3500, are made in Mexico and that may be a factor in the cost?
In 2011 when I was looking at a diesel truck, the Chev/GMC was a lot more expensive then the Ram or Ford and when I asked the salesperson about that he just stated that it was a good price for the truck. The Ram was the next in price and at that time they had what I consider old technology (no DEF or exhaust brake).
I bought my 2011 Ram new, and it DOES have a factory exhaust brake, which can be engaged separately from the tow/haul mode. I liked that particular feature better than the Chevy/GMC. Also, NOT having to put cat pee in my truck every 5000 miles makes me a happy camper. Deletes and mods are easier, too.
Old 12-18-2014, 07:48 AM   #50

I had a 2001 GMC Duramax, 3/4 ton, crew cab, short box 4x4. Had it for 10 years. Now own a 2011 GMC Duramax 1 ton dually, crew cab, long box, 4x4. More HP, more stability, more piece of mind. I like it, it's my daily driver, my wife can drive it in a pinch, it's a lot of truck to wash . It has an engine brake and combined with tow/haul mode it really slows the truck and 5er down without having to use the brakes too much. Mine does not have the high idle option on it although it will go into high idle until it comes off the glow plugs. All new diesels now deal with DEF which can be a problem for some. Your fuel mileage goes down when in regen mode. My buddy has owned a couple of Ford diesels and has had nothing but trouble with them. I like what I drive so don't really care what other people drive. Do the research on each brand and pick one. Just remember, you're buying a TRUCK, not a car and as you know with your truck you have now, the ride is harsher than a car. If you go to a 1 ton, it's an even harsher ride. I wouldn't depend completely on what other people say about their trucks as it eventually gets to be a pi**ing match. You're the one who will decide and then live with what you pick. Good luck.
Old 12-18-2014, 07:49 AM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwrstroke2012 View Post
That's like saying "let's get rid of all the stop signs and red lights, they just slow us down and make us use more fuel". When did doing something good for the environment become a bad thing?
Comparing the oppressive emissions equipment on new diesel trucks to stop signs and red lights is comparing apples to oranges my friend.

To answer your question: when it causes you to burn more fossil fuels in the first place to do the same damn thing, and causing premature engine wear to a very expensive piece of equipment. Diesel exhaust is not nearly as damaging to the environment as gasoline exhaust is, and yet diesels have been slapped with more emissions control, power and mileage-robbing equipment over the last 10 years than gassers have been. Why? Because you could SEE the exhaust in older diesel truck, and it was an easy target. Never mind that the advent of ULSD eliminated a huge portion of the emissions to start with. No, let's punish the diesel owners again by saddling their vehicles with equipment that will cause their engines a premature death and cause them to burn more diesel in the process.
2019 Honda CRV (camping support vehicle)
2014 Harley Davidson FLHX (XLR cargo)
2011 Ram 2500 CC 4X4 CTD, B&W Companion (toy hauler hauler)
Old 12-18-2014, 08:04 AM   #52

Does anybody have some insight on which 2012 or newer truck is easiest to do basic maintenance like changing oil, air and fuel filters? A friend has a 1989 Dodge Cummins and its hard to believe how simple it is. Those days are long gone but it would be good to know if anybody does their own basic maintenance or if it is even really practical anymore.

Aviator Wright-Flyer#1908
1996 Holiday Rambler
2012 Ram 2500HD CTD
Old 12-18-2014, 08:27 AM   #53

Why, I ask do I still read thru these post of "Who is the better diesel manufacturer". I know better than to do this, the post seldom offer anything new. A lot of my buddy owned "enter your manufacture choice here" and had nothing but problems. Or the "I owned this model year", which was a known lemon motor design. As long as there are the "Big Three" manufactures out there offering choices the opinions and owners will disagree as to who is number one. But, then that's a good thing, it keeps the manufactures striving to improve their product line offering, performance, and reliability.

So to sum it up, when talking new diesels they are all very competitive with one another and you really can't go wrong from a drivetrain point of view.

My advice is drive all three and find the one you like the better. Make sure you have a check list of the "must have" features and options such as payload, towing abilities. Not all of the F-350 trucks are equal in payload, tow capacity. Just as the options on the other manufactures truck will greatly effect those numbers of interest to the towing world.

One last item to take into account.....the dealership. Any truck may have a problem, and yes they all come with a warranty to take care of the problem. But, the fix will only be as good as the servicing dealership. Some dealerships still give priority customer service if the truck was purchased at their dealership. Others don't care, because to be honest dealers don't make their profit on the sales floor, profit comes out of the parts and service dept. Ask you friends and neighbors about the dealership support they receive after the sale. Pay attention to what they have to say about the dealerships diesel techs. I guess my point is that your research needs to go past "which diesel is the better".

Now, go have fun,

Past RVs: National Pacifica 40', Kenworth T300 Toterhome, Jayco Class C 32'. American Eagle 40',
American Eagle 40', Bounder 38' tag axle
Old 12-18-2014, 08:29 AM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taranwanderer View Post
Comparing the oppressive emissions equipment on new diesel trucks to stop signs and red lights is comparing apples to oranges my friend.

To answer your question: when it causes you to burn more fossil fuels in the first place to do the same damn thing, and causing premature engine wear to a very expensive piece of equipment. Diesel exhaust is not nearly as damaging to the environment as gasoline exhaust is, and yet diesels have been slapped with more emissions control, power and mileage-robbing equipment over the last 10 years than gassers have been. Why? Because you could SEE the exhaust in older diesel truck, and it was an easy target. Never mind that the advent of ULSD eliminated a huge portion of the emissions to start with. No, let's punish the diesel owners again by saddling their vehicles with equipment that will cause their engines a premature death and cause them to burn more diesel in the process.
^^^This 100%...
Old 12-18-2014, 08:35 AM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonrjen View Post
Why, I ask do I still read thru these post of "Who is the better diesel manufacturer". I know better than to do this, the post seldom offer anything new. A lot of my buddy owned "enter your manufacture choice here" and had nothing but problems. Or the "I owned this model year", which was a known lemon motor design. As long as there are the "Big Three" manufactures out there offering choices the opinions and owners will disagree as to who is number one. But, then that's a good thing, it keeps the manufactures striving to improve their product line offering, performance, and reliability.

So to sum it up, when talking new diesels they are all very competitive with one another and you really can't go wrong from a drivetrain point of view.

My advice is drive all three and find the one you like the better. Make sure you have a check list of the "must have" features and options such as payload, towing abilities. Not all of the F-350 trucks are equal in payload, tow capacity. Just as the options on the other manufactures truck will greatly effect those numbers of interest to the towing world.

One last item to take into account.....the dealership. Any truck may have a problem, and yes they all come with a warranty to take care of the problem. But, the fix will only be as good as the servicing dealership. Some dealerships still give priority customer service if the truck was purchased at their dealership. Others don't care, because to be honest dealers don't make their profit on the sales floor, profit comes out of the parts and service dept. Ask you friends and neighbors about the dealership support they receive after the sale. Pay attention to what they have to say about the dealerships diesel techs. I guess my point is that your research needs to go past "which diesel is the better".

Now, go have fun,

^^^This too.... I would only add that I made my decision based on the options available. Ford had things that just couldn't be ordered on GM or Ram at the time. Powerfold mirrors, upfitter switches, supplemental heat, and factory 5th wheel prep. Ram has since added the upfitters and 5th prep. Anyways, these desired options made me choose Ford. I also wanted an extended cab, short bed, 1 ton truck which Ram and GM don't offer. So, IMO, options and configuration are much more important than brand loyalty...
Old 12-18-2014, 08:41 AM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolly Cholly View Post
My previous truck was a GMC SLT 2010 5.7 l V8 gas ½ ton.
To my knowledge a 2010 GMC would have either a 4.7, 5.3 or 6.0 gas. 6.0 gas would be the engine for 2500 and up, IIRC.
Old 12-18-2014, 08:42 AM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by campr-pete View Post
Owned a 2006 f-350 6.0 had excellent fuel mileage when it was on the hook always something wrong could have just been a lemon?
You definitely had a lemon. Problem is that they were all lemons. Not even remotely the same animal as the new 6.7 PSD.
Old 12-18-2014, 09:55 AM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenHwy61 View Post
Does anybody have some insight on which 2012 or newer truck is easiest to do basic maintenance like changing oil, air and fuel filters? A friend has a 1989 Dodge Cummins and its hard to believe how simple it is. Those days are long gone but it would be good to know if anybody does their own basic maintenance or if it is even really practical anymore.

My 12 Cummins is pretty easy for all 3 filters. Fuel takes about 15 mins as you need to wait for the diesel to drain out. Oil takes 30 mins. Again mostly drain time. Getting to the oil filter is fairly easy reaching thru the fender well. I found lying on my back under the front and reaching up was easier though. I run Rotella and the OEM Mopar filter for oil. $52.?? at Walmart. I now just take it to the dealer for $68.95. Well worth the extra $16.?? since I don't have to get oily or dispose of the oil. Air filter takes 5 mins.

On my 12 Cummins oil changes are dictated by the EVIC. When towing I can go 3500-3800 miles between changes. When not towing and doing my retired type driving which is 1/2 town, 1/2 hwy. I can go about 3000-3200.
I change it when the EVIC display on the dash prompts me to.

I go 10,000 on the fuel filter. Ram says 15,000. I like to be safe. I put about 10,000 on a year so it's one a year.

I change the air filter when prompted also. Really have no idea how long. But they're cheap $.

I don't know about doing any mechanical work as I've never had any issues that would require that.
Old 12-18-2014, 10:22 AM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by taken View Post
^^^This too.... I would only add that I made my decision based on the options available. Ford had things that just couldn't be ordered on GM or Ram at the time. Powerfold mirrors, upfitter switches, supplemental heat, and factory 5th wheel prep. Ram has since added the upfitters and 5th prep. Anyways, these desired options made me choose Ford. I also wanted an extended cab, short bed, 1 ton truck which Ram and GM don't offer. So, IMO, options and configuration are much more important than brand loyalty...
Ironically, when we are all talking "trucks" at my shop, all the big 3 get good praise from owners. But EVERY SINGLE ONE who sees my powerfolds and does not have them wishes they did...and would have paid dearly for em.

As for ease of maintenance, the ford oil is the easiest to change of all my vehicles...I can crawl under it without even jacking it, and the filter is insanely easy to get to. You need a big pan and that 3 gallons of oil shoots out a ways when you pull the plug!

The 2 fuel filters are a pretty simple and quick affair as well..one under truck, and one under hood...just gotta be gentle with the plastic housing. ..I change em every 12000 (only 2x so far lol)

Ive only had to take it in shop to have the coolant additive checked...you can do it at home but I didnt want to mess with or invest in the test strip..
2012 lacrosse 318bhs touring- sold
Old 12-18-2014, 10:25 AM   #60

I'm confused why the truck's computer is telling you to change oil that frequently. Cummins recommends a much longer interval up to 15,000 miles for the Ram trucks. I'm not sure what the Dmax and Powerstroke recommend.

Aviator Wright-Flyer#1908
1996 Holiday Rambler
2012 Ram 2500HD CTD
Closed Thread

Tags
diesel, truck