Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-17-2019, 10:30 PM   #1

Talking New Equalizer 4 Point 12k & Cherokee 274DHB

Welp, finally took delivery of our new trailer, Cherokee 274DBH!

Process:
- Did final walk through to check off all the items we initially identified that needed to be fixed
- Kept the kids occupied so the hitch could be set-up for take home drive

The good:
- Generally, the dealer measured spring bars and bracket locations according to the manual

The bad:
- They had no clue how to set-up an Equalizer. They generally use the same 'ol wdh your grandfather uses. So, quite a bit was askew
- Got the 'ol "looks good" after they hooked up my tow vehicle
- Had an uncomfortable amount of bounce/float on the 20 minute drive home

The ugly:
- After spending most of today re-installing the hitch I found that NOTHING WAS TIGHTENED! All of the brackets needed to be tightened to spec as did the shank bolts and nuts.

The good to great:
- No one was hurt due to a shoddy install (thank God. my kids were with me on the initial drive home)
- I really understand how the hitch works. It's some good engineering and I understand all of the mechanics that make this a very good product.

The result:
- A whole new ballgame. The WDH functionality of the hitch is working PERFECTLY. I can feel the TT back there a little but all of the float/squish is gone. The TT tracks true behind the truck and it's really study. At 45mph and 65mph it's an extremely comfortable and easy tow. We have a trip to Southern California planned in January and I'm very confident the rig will perform and allow me to drive safely without arriving frayed or worse.

What I learned:
- Set-up your own gear. Don't trust ANYONE but yourself with the safety of your family and the performance of your rig.
- What the old man taught me, measure twice!

I would absolutely recommend an Equalizer 4 Point to anyone in the market for a new WDH. For what it's worth, I'd also recommend a new RAM 1500 as a competent tow vehicle, but I'm biased. All the boys at the dealer were drooling over my truck!

It’s not camping but glamping is better than nothing.
RamFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 04:52 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamFam View Post
Welp, finally took delivery of our new trailer, Cherokee 274DBH!

What I learned:
- Set-up your own gear. Don't trust ANYONE but yourself with the safety of your family and the performance of your rig.
- What the old man taught me, measure twice!

I would absolutely recommend an Equalizer 4 Point to anyone in the market for a new WDH.
You are not kidding there!!

Better be real handy to get most enjoyment from your RV...
6CatDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 06:53 PM   #3

Every 300-500 miles I loosen the socket bolt nuts and wipe of the grease from the top and bottom of the sockets and hitch head where they make contact. Then I apply Reese hitch ball lube liberally to all contact areas. Then re-torque the socket bolts. I like between 55-60 ft. Lbs. Bars are hard to move, but not too hard. The tightness of the bars is what gives you the sway control. Hitch makes no noise and virtually has no wear on these surfaces after 25K miles.

2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
EQUALIZER E4 1200/12000
lbrjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 10:54 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbrjet View Post
Every 300-500 miles I loosen the socket bolt nuts and wipe of the grease from the top and bottom of the sockets and hitch head where they make contact. Then I apply Reese hitch ball lube liberally to all contact areas. Then re-torque the socket bolts. I like between 55-60 ft. Lbs. Bars are hard to move, but not too hard. The tightness of the bars is what gives you the sway control. Hitch makes no noise and virtually has no wear on these surfaces after 25K miles.
Appreciate the input. Have you tried the equalizer lubricant?
Old 11-19-2019, 03:42 PM   #5

You trust these guys?

Quote:
- Did final walk through to check off all the items we initially identified that needed to be fixed
- They had no clue how to set-up an Equalizer. They generally use the same 'ol wdh your grandfather uses. So, quite a bit was askew
- After spending most of today re-installing the hitch I found that NOTHING WAS TIGHTENED! All of the brackets needed to be tightened to spec as did the shank bolts and nuts.
And you trusted these guys to fix all the flaws you found at the Delivery Inspection? Do you suppose all of those items are loose, too.

Not sure I would let them do any subsequent repairs.
"Always bypass the water heater before opening the low-point drains."
Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 04:22 PM   #6

Chronologically, I was ignorant to the hitch setup situation until I received the trailer and got it home.

To my eye the PDI repairs were all top notch. Time will tell!
Old 11-20-2019, 06:04 PM   #7

Quote:
Appreciate the input. Have you tried the equalizer lubricant?

Nope. Have used a plain white lithium though.

2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
EQUALIZER E4 1200/12000
lbrjet is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
12k, cherokee, equalizer