Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-11-2015, 10:06 AM   #1

New Equalizer Advice

Looking for some quick feedback. I have new Tracer Air 250 (29Ft) pulled with new 14 Silverado 1500 max tow 6.2L 3.73. Truck has been upgraded with new Bilstein shocks already as well as Timbrens as this setup worked well on my last TT and truck.

I swapped my original Equalizer hitch which is the 600/6000# model to this new setup. Overall the trailer pulls pretty well but I have some complaints including some porpoising on certain concrete roads. Hitch is setup correctly.

I have the option to upgrade my equalizer but looking to see if you all think its worth the money.

New TT GVW dry is 4900#/Loaded 5500#
TW dry including LP is 500#/I added dual 6v bats bringing this up to 650#

I'm 50# over my TW rating but still under GVW rating. Would upgrading to the 1000/10000# Equalizer be worth it and should I worry about the new bars being to stiff?

Any feedback is welcome!
sugarjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 11:05 AM   #2

You may be looking at the TW rating wring. The 600lb max is with no WD. With WD it should be 10% of the trucks max tow rating. 1100/11,000 or ?

I would ditch the Timbrens and try towing without them. I had the same issues once with an F150. I had a 550lb TW and 1000lb bars. It was real jerky. I ditched the 1000lb bars and got some 400-600lb bars. Since I loaded a lot of gear in the truck the 4-600lb bars had a hard time getting the truck right, so I installed some air bags. I 1st loaded the truck, then aired up the bags to bring the rear back to level. Then hitched up the TT and used the WD to adjust front fender height. Rode like a 1970 Caddy. Best tow situation I've ever had.
goduc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 11:24 AM   #3

I appreciate the response. The TW I quoted was for the Equalizer hitch not the truck. I like my Timbrens. Absolutely no maintenance and provide a nice solid platform. Your scenario sounds similar in that I think my current bars are maxed out with my current TW.
Old 05-11-2015, 11:39 AM   #4

Gotcha. I didn't mean to chuck the Timbrens but maybe try towing without them if you haven't already. I too have Timbrens on a 2500 with a 5th wheel. They're nice like you say, no messing with air. But I wonder if they're maybe a little harsher when loaded than bags. You could also tow without the WD and see if you're still getting the jerky ride. Your TT is small/light enough to be fine without WD for a short tow. Prior to our current 5er we had a 31' TT @7300lbs. I never got rid of the jerky ride. Tried 4 different hitches and tried towing without WD. Never made a difference.
Also are you getting the weight transfer you need. You should be returning the front of the truck to near 100% of it's original height. Also is your TT level? Nose high can create a jerky ride.
Old 05-11-2015, 11:45 AM   #5

Yeah I went through and reset the equalizer per instructions. TT is level and front truck measurements almost back to unloaded height. I really can't complain much....we have been all over with this setup. From WI to Maine last year and generally it tows great, smooth no sway etc. It's just this last little bit of bucking on certain roads I'm looking to get rid of.
Old 05-11-2015, 11:57 AM   #6

Rear Shocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarjohnson View Post
Yeah I went through and reset the equalizer per instructions. TT is level and front truck measurements almost back to unloaded height. I really can't complain much....we have been all over with this setup. From WI to Maine last year and generally it tows great, smooth no sway etc. It's just this last little bit of bucking on certain roads I'm looking to get rid of.
I basically have the same situation as you, so I'm wondering if new, or heavier shocks might be needed in the rear. My 1994 Suburban with 103,000 original miles as the original ones, so wondering if they need to be changed. I too have some bucking on certain roads with our Salem Ultralite using an Equalizer and having everything set up and level. Any help would be appreciated on what is a good shock I might go with to help with both the ride and bucking.
gfarmcafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 12:09 PM   #7

Well I know mine is not shock related. My truck is brand new and I replaced all 4 with new Bilstein.
Old 05-11-2015, 12:38 PM   #8

Could very well just be the road surface. Happens all the time especially on concrete with expansion joints. My 5th is like that. If you're that happy with it, then it sounds like you have it dialed in about as good as it will get. But hey, why not go for perfect.
Old 05-11-2015, 12:42 PM   #9

Yeah I here you...my OCD has me looking for new things to perfect all the time..lol
Old 05-11-2015, 03:26 PM   #10

6000/600 Equalizer is definitely underrated for that trailer. It's a recipe for porpoising. 10000/1000 will be perfect.
I tow our 5200 lbs (loaded) trailer with the 10k Equalizer, and it's fantastic. When in doubt, round up.
I suspect you could find a buyer for your used 6k Equalizer.
Equal-i-zer WDH (10k), Prodigy Brake Controller
thebrakeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 03:38 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebrakeman View Post
6000/600 Equalizer is definitely underrated for that trailer. It's a recipe for porpoising. 10000/1000 will be perfect.
I tow our 5200 lbs (loaded) trailer with the 10k Equalizer, and it's fantastic. When in doubt, round up.
I suspect you could find a buyer for your used 6k Equalizer.
I appreciate the feedback. My dealer is really good and offered to swap out the hitch on trade in for $350. Thats at least 100 bucks less then I can find it for online shipped.
Old 05-13-2015, 11:53 AM   #12

Decision made after I spoke with Equalizer. They recommend the 1000/10000 hitch. I will pick it Friday.

Tags
equalizer