Old 09-26-2015, 03:32 PM   #11
your downfall is just the engine itself. The axles frame and brakes are not any different than the diesel truck.
I run my 3/4 ton REALLY close to GCVW & have no problems towing through WV, VA & TN. The ONLY difference between my 2011 Ram 2500 CC ST with a GCVW of 15,000 & a 2012 w/GCVW of 17,000 is that the newer ones have a 6 speed tranny vs. my 5 speed. In 90 degree heat in the mountains my tranny temps never rose, so I'm not worried. Just like in the above quote, the rest of the truck uses the same springs, engine, axles, frame, etc. to tow 1 ton more...

When driving 1/2, 3/4 & 1 ton trucks commercially, the 3/4 & 1 tons could all handle running a little overloaded without issues. In comparison, the 1/2 tons would burn through brakes, springs, etc. - even when we didn't push 'em...

IMO the Equalizer 4 is the best bang-for-buck WDH. Our dealer was having a big sale when we bought our TT so they didn't budge on price much but they included the Equalizer 4/installation, pressure test & re-caulk, 2.5 hour PDI, & some store credit within our purchase price.

2011 RAM 2500 ST Crew Cab 5.7 Hemi
2011 Primetime 3150BHD Touring Edition
Days camped in 2016-36
Days camped in 2015-37; Days camped in 2014-31

The_Rhino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 03:37 PM   #12
Georgia Frog Rally 2017
Originally Posted by rsdata View Post
aux tranny cooler, and while your at it, maybe time for a new tranny filter and fluid, especially if your current fluid is not bright red and clear

I also installed an Glow Shift trans temp dial in my cab to monitor temp
X 2 I would forgo any attempt for gear change as the cost would be prohibitive and not worth it. Your truck will be able to handle your tt as long as you use good judgement as to where your travels will take you. You mentioned not long trip so that's good. Later RJD

2015 35 FT V-Lite 30WRLIKS Diamond Package
2015 Chevy 2500 6.0 4:10 gearing.
Days camped in 2015--46
Days booked for 2016--60
Days camped in 2016 so far 51
aceinspp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 04:09 PM   #13
There is no need for a gear change 3.73 is fine, newer F250 have 3.55. Do you know your options on the truck? Heavy duty springs, cooling etc. The most I would add if required a transmission cooler. The Gas engine might scream on some hills, but just take it slow.
Do you have tow/ haul, if not lock it in 3rd gear on hills.
B and B
2013 Rockwood 8289 Diamond Edition
GY D's/2.5 inch lift kit/Powerhouse 4 KW EFI Generator
2016 Ford F 350 Lariat Power Stroke Diesel Crew Cab FX4
2008 Golden Falcon 380PA Park Model Model

"Oh Canada,True North Strong and Free!"
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 04:20 PM   #14
Site Team
You should have an aux trans cooler. Your truck may have a standard trans cooler, but that will not cut it. Usually both are used.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 65W solar panels
Flybob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 08:30 PM   #15
I have a P3 controller I would sell if interested PM me.

2016 Ford F250 XLT 4X4 6.2L
2015 Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329SS
Hensley Arrow
Nights camping in 2016: 19 nights
Miles traveled in 2016: 2,575
uhduh camping is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 09:33 PM   #16

pressure test & re-caulk, 2.5 hour PDI, & some store credit ..

Thanks for the information. I just read over the specs and description of the Equalizer4. Looks like what I need. What is the pressure test, re-caulk and PDI?
BernieCrumb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 09:39 PM   #17
Thanks B&B. I don't have Tow/Haul, but I do have an O/D OFF switch on the selector arm, which should prove helpful for the tran.
Old 09-26-2015, 09:44 PM   #18
I will look up the aux cooler. I imagine it has to be mounted near the primary. Is it T'd into those lines also?
Old 09-26-2015, 09:50 PM   #19
ASquared, thanks for the info. I do plan to stay out of the larger mountains and take my good ole time. I need a lesson on the difference between proportional and time-delayed controller..
Old 09-26-2015, 10:42 PM   #20
Originally Posted by BernieCrumb View Post
Thanks all. Very helpful info. I read up on the gear change and I know I can't do it. Besides not having the tools, I am not familiar enough with the process. Replacing the upper and lower ball joints took me and Youtube 3 days. The gear job will wait til I tow her alittle bit and see how they work together. As for the brake controller I will look up the Tekonsha P2&P3 as well as the Prodigy P2&P3. Was is a time delayed controller anyway?

My tran oil is fresh, swapped out about 14K mi ago. And my TV has a trans cooler on it. The dealer is supposed to set up the trailer with a WDH of some sort and I want to make sure they don't Cheap Out on the deal. My biggest concern (besides WD and sway) is the nose fairing on the Forest River VIBE 308BHS. It covers the LP bottles and battery. Looks like it would be tough trying to pull up chains against the fairing.

Do any of y'all have a Ford SD around year 2000? The stock ColdAirIntake starts in a blank box behind the plastic deflector for the radiator.I was thinking about making a 2-3" round opening in that deflector to allow cold air straight into the CAI pipe. Makes sense to me but I keep thinking that if it was needed, FORD would have done it themselves. Just trying to get more cold air in VS. warm "under the hood" air.

Any ideas or comments are welcome. I appreciate the different perspectives.
I would highly suggest you also join to discuss your situation. Lots of owners with very similar setups but tons of experience. Also called FTE.

By the way, i have the same trailer and its really nice to pull. Definitely can get stressful with a strong crosswind and no sway control system though. More importantlythan anything else is to ensure you hitch is setup and dialed in properly.

Just my .02

Corpus Christi, Texas

TT: 2016 40' Chaparral 360IBL at 14000lbs
TV: 2016 F450 Platinum 6.7 CC LWB FX4, B&W Companion Hitch
IronCobra is offline   Reply With Quote

f250, modifications