Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-20-2015, 10:50 AM   #1

Exclamation New guy-Must keep TV for now-what mods to my F250?

Greeting all. I am brand new to this forum. On Friday we purchased a FR Vibe 308BHS at the Hershey show. It is our first TT and we are super excited. Campers World is supposed to install a hitch and brake controller on my TV and they mentioned a "straight line" hitch on the TT because of the nose of the FR VIBE. My TV is a 2000 F250 with a 5.4L gas. I know I am pushing the limit with my TV but money-wise, I have to make this work for a couple years. We aren't planning any long trips, especially through our small eastern mountains. I am in need of you all's suggestions/comments on what I can do to bolster my TV. Has anyone been in the same spot as me? I don't want to spend $5K to upgrade my truck if I don't have to, but I will spend $$. I think my truck has the 3.73 in the rear. I have read a few of the post about the TT's hitches, better sway control, no sway due to certain type of hitch.. Is there a certain hitch I should have Campers World install on my new TT?
I know I asked alot of questions but I want to be ready as soon as my TT is built (3-4 wks).

Thanks in advance
Bernie C., the new guy..
BernieCrumb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 07:36 PM   #2

Probably the biggest gain you would see for your truck would be upgrade the gears to 4.10 if you doin fact have 3.73. You can verify your gears by looking at the tag on one of the cover bolts. In the number series there will be a set of numbers saying either
3 73 or 4 10. I was looking at the specs on your tt and tv and I couldn't believe how low they have your tv rated. I personally would not hesitate to tow that weight with your truck. The truck itself is plenty to tow it your downfall is just the engine itself. The axles frame and brakes are not any different than the diesel truck.

2000 F250 CC 4x4 7.3L diesel

15 Salem Hemisphere Lite356QB
Tfort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 11:23 PM   #3

Thanks Tfort

The brakes & rotors are all new, so are all the steering/tie rods and ends. My F250 is a 4x4 also, so I hear I have to change front gears too if I change the rears. I haven't ever changed gears out but I will figure that out. Thinking about changing the stock air intake system on the 5.4 for a couple extra HP.
Again thanks for looking it up. I just did and owners manual says 4.10's add about 1500 lbs to the GCVW. If you, or any other members have any recommendations or good experience with any certain hitches, I would love to hear about them.
Old 09-23-2015, 11:37 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

If the dealership is installing a brake controller and a hitch, I would assume your truck doesn't have the towing package, which typically means you will need to add an aftermarket transmission cooler. I would definitely stay out of the mountains with that engine. Keep it slow and don't push it on the hills. For a brake controller,make sure they are installing a proportional brake controller (like prodigy p2 or p3) and not the time delay brake controller.
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 02:14 AM   #5
Just a member

As long as you're not in a hurry, which is anathema to RVing philosophy, your TV should be just fine as is. The "Strait-Line" WDH system is reputable and works well. As alluded to by asqared, insist on a Tekonsha P2 or P3 brake controller. Your gas mileage is really gonna suck but many of us appreciate that more than you know at this point. Nevertheless, your F250 gasser is more than capable of getting the job done.

kandl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 06:35 AM   #6

Setting up gears in a differential takes some special tools and know how. If you have never done it and plan to do the work yourself then find a friend who has done them before to help otherwise you may be better of finding some used axles that are already set up with the gears you want. Yes you will have to swap the front gears as well and remember if you do not change the tone ring for the speed sensor your speedometer will be a little off as well. I am a Ford technician so Ihave had a lot of experience with these axles but I cannot speak for what hitches are best as I have a 5er and have never used one. I agree with the brake controller. One trip with a time delay and I swapped mine out

2000 F250 CC 4x4 7.3L diesel

15 Salem Hemisphere Lite356QB
Tfort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 09:03 AM   #7

Try your truck before spending more money. Don't be afraid of 4.5K RPM and you should do fine. These trucks make power at high RPM and are designed to run there when needed.

2010 F250 5.4L 3.73
2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Equal-i-zer 4pt 12K

2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
EQUALIZER E4 1200/12000
lbrjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 11:07 AM   #8

New guy-Must keep TV for now-what mods to my F250?

The 5.4 is pretty much bullet proof, I towed a 7k toy hauler with a 2007 F150 with the 5.4 and it will work hard all day, every day without issue. Won't win many races. You'll probably want to get some kind of OBDII monitor to keep an eye on transmission temps if they used the same tranny behind the 5.4 in the 250s, that was always the weak link when I towed.
mopar04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 11:17 AM   #9

aux tranny cooler, and while your at it, maybe time for a new tranny filter and fluid, especially if your current fluid is not bright red and clear

I also installed an Glow Shift trans temp dial in my cab to monitor temp

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 03:06 PM   #10

Smile Very helpfull

Thanks all. Very helpful info. I read up on the gear change and I know I can't do it. Besides not having the tools, I am not familiar enough with the process. Replacing the upper and lower ball joints took me and Youtube 3 days. The gear job will wait til I tow her alittle bit and see how they work together. As for the brake controller I will look up the Tekonsha P2&P3 as well as the Prodigy P2&P3. Was is a time delayed controller anyway?

My tran oil is fresh, swapped out about 14K mi ago. And my TV has a trans cooler on it. The dealer is supposed to set up the trailer with a WDH of some sort and I want to make sure they don't Cheap Out on the deal. My biggest concern (besides WD and sway) is the nose fairing on the Forest River VIBE 308BHS. It covers the LP bottles and battery. Looks like it would be tough trying to pull up chains against the fairing.

Do any of y'all have a Ford SD around year 2000? The stock ColdAirIntake starts in a blank box behind the plastic deflector for the radiator.I was thinking about making a 2-3" round opening in that deflector to allow cold air straight into the CAI pipe. Makes sense to me but I keep thinking that if it was needed, FORD would have done it themselves. Just trying to get more cold air in VS. warm "under the hood" air.

Any ideas or comments are welcome. I appreciate the different perspectives.
Old 09-26-2015, 03:32 PM   #11

Quote:
your downfall is just the engine itself. The axles frame and brakes are not any different than the diesel truck.
I run my 3/4 ton REALLY close to GCVW & have no problems towing through WV, VA & TN. The ONLY difference between my 2011 Ram 2500 CC ST with a GCVW of 15,000 & a 2012 w/GCVW of 17,000 is that the newer ones have a 6 speed tranny vs. my 5 speed. In 90 degree heat in the mountains my tranny temps never rose, so I'm not worried. Just like in the above quote, the rest of the truck uses the same springs, engine, axles, frame, etc. to tow 1 ton more...

When driving 1/2, 3/4 & 1 ton trucks commercially, the 3/4 & 1 tons could all handle running a little overloaded without issues. In comparison, the 1/2 tons would burn through brakes, springs, etc. - even when we didn't push 'em...

IMO the Equalizer 4 is the best bang-for-buck WDH. Our dealer was having a big sale when we bought our TT so they didn't budge on price much but they included the Equalizer 4/installation, pressure test & re-caulk, 2.5 hour PDI, & some store credit within our purchase price.
2017-31; 2016-36; 2015-37; 2014-31

The_Rhino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 03:37 PM   #12
Georgia Rally Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsdata View Post
aux tranny cooler, and while your at it, maybe time for a new tranny filter and fluid, especially if your current fluid is not bright red and clear

I also installed an Glow Shift trans temp dial in my cab to monitor temp
X 2 I would forgo any attempt for gear change as the cost would be prohibitive and not worth it. Your truck will be able to handle your tt as long as you use good judgement as to where your travels will take you. You mentioned not long trip so that's good. Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing.(sold) (sold) 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 04:09 PM   #13

Send a message via AIM to B and B
Hello,
There is no need for a gear change 3.73 is fine, newer F250 have 3.55. Do you know your options on the truck? Heavy duty springs, cooling etc. The most I would add if required a transmission cooler. The Gas engine might scream on some hills, but just take it slow.
Do you have tow/ haul, if not lock it in 3rd gear on hills.
2015 Heartland Bighorn 5th Wheel
2013 FR Rockwood 8289WS 5th Wheel
2012 FR Rockwood 2703 SS Travel Trailer
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 04:20 PM   #14
Site Team

You should have an aux trans cooler. Your truck may have a standard trans cooler, but that will not cut it. Usually both are used.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 08:30 PM   #15

I have a P3 controller I would sell if interested PM me.

2016 Ford F250 XLT 4X4 6.2L
2015 Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329SS
Hensley Arrow
uhduh camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 09:33 PM   #16

Nice

pressure test & re-caulk, 2.5 hour PDI, & some store credit ..

Thanks for the information. I just read over the specs and description of the Equalizer4. Looks like what I need. What is the pressure test, re-caulk and PDI?
Old 09-26-2015, 09:39 PM   #17

Thanks B&B. I don't have Tow/Haul, but I do have an O/D OFF switch on the selector arm, which should prove helpful for the tran.
Old 09-26-2015, 09:44 PM   #18

I will look up the aux cooler. I imagine it has to be mounted near the primary. Is it T'd into those lines also?
Old 09-26-2015, 09:50 PM   #19

ASquared, thanks for the info. I do plan to stay out of the larger mountains and take my good ole time. I need a lesson on the difference between proportional and time-delayed controller..
Old 09-26-2015, 10:42 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieCrumb View Post
Thanks all. Very helpful info. I read up on the gear change and I know I can't do it. Besides not having the tools, I am not familiar enough with the process. Replacing the upper and lower ball joints took me and Youtube 3 days. The gear job will wait til I tow her alittle bit and see how they work together. As for the brake controller I will look up the Tekonsha P2&P3 as well as the Prodigy P2&P3. Was is a time delayed controller anyway?

My tran oil is fresh, swapped out about 14K mi ago. And my TV has a trans cooler on it. The dealer is supposed to set up the trailer with a WDH of some sort and I want to make sure they don't Cheap Out on the deal. My biggest concern (besides WD and sway) is the nose fairing on the Forest River VIBE 308BHS. It covers the LP bottles and battery. Looks like it would be tough trying to pull up chains against the fairing.

Do any of y'all have a Ford SD around year 2000? The stock ColdAirIntake starts in a blank box behind the plastic deflector for the radiator.I was thinking about making a 2-3" round opening in that deflector to allow cold air straight into the CAI pipe. Makes sense to me but I keep thinking that if it was needed, FORD would have done it themselves. Just trying to get more cold air in VS. warm "under the hood" air.

Any ideas or comments are welcome. I appreciate the different perspectives.
I would highly suggest you also join Ford-trucks.com to discuss your situation. Lots of owners with very similar setups but tons of experience. Also called FTE.

By the way, i have the same trailer and its really nice to pull. Definitely can get stressful with a strong crosswind and no sway control system though. More importantlythan anything else is to ensure you hitch is setup and dialed in properly.

Just my .02

TT: 2016 40' Chaparral 360IBL at 14000lbs
TV: 2016 F450 Platinum 6.7 CC LWB FX4, B&W Companion Hitch
IronCobra is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
f250, modifications