Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-04-2012, 11:14 AM   #1

New guy need info.

Hello all. I am new to the travel trailer world. I have a 2011 F150 Platinum SC 5.5 bed, 7200 GVWR? Ecoboost with 3.31 rear end. Built in brake controler, and anti trailer sway. My max tow rating is 8200lbs. Front axle max 3750lbs rear 4050lbs. My hitch is a class 5 with max of 10500, and tong 1050 with weight distrobution hitch. I do have a 4 point WDH. My trailer is a 2012 Sandstorm SLC 233. Dry weight of 6145, tong weight of 876. The trailer has the 40g fuel tank and 100g water tank. If I pull fully loaded with 650lb atv in the trailer I am looking at 8000lb to 8200lb. most cargo in this camper will be towords the middle and back of the camper. With the trailer dry and WDH my sag in the rear is only 1 1/2in. I have pulled trailers before but not a travel trailer. I live in Colorado and will be pulling in the mountains a couple times a month. I did resaerch before getting the trailer, and I did ask many questions of the dealer "camping world" in Colorado Spings. They were sure that I would be able to tow this rig with no problems even being close to or at max weights. I hope that I was not missled. Any info will be great. hope I did not ramble to much. Thanks SFC C
sfctanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 11:19 AM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

You were mislead
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 11:29 AM   #3

How so?? Am I screwed? I hope not. The only dif from my truck and the F150 max tow is the 3.37 rear end, and they are rated at 11,300lbs. We took a big step by buying this camper. I had heared nothing bad about htis camping world, but it would be my luck to get screwed. I also called Ford and they said that even pulling max weight I should be ok, but I do nead to not excead max tong or tow weight. Man I dont feel real good right now.
Old 04-04-2012, 11:38 AM   #4
Now a "Top Member"

I think where you're really going to be hurting is the "mountains" part of it. On flat land, even at or close to your max weights, you might be okay. You will likely really struggle in the mountains though.
Retired AF MSgt

I thought I was wrong once, but I was wrong!
EdJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 11:40 AM   #5
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

If you need to fill your fw tank 100 gallons times 6 lbs a gallon that's 600lbs
Fuel tank is roughly another 240 lbs full. Thats 840lbs .
Just wondering if you figured that weight.
and mountains to boot at or near capacity more than likley over
Since you may not have figured all the extras installed by dealer
Such as propane tanks full weigh around 80lbs each
Batteries
You and your family has to be added
Any upgrades that dealer installs is not in the uvw of trailer
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 11:43 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Welcome.

I'm afraid to say that you are maxed out or overweight with this setup. Get yourself to a CAT scale and also weigh the tongue.

Your truck can pull a max of 8200 lbs and your loaded trailer is an estimated 8,200lbs. There is no margin.

This 8200 gives you a tongue weight of approximately 820-1,230lbs, which is 10-15%. Using a reasonable 13%, than the TW will be about 1,066. Again - no margin.

You mentioned most cargo being to the middle and the back of the trailer. Be careful with that because your tongue weight could drop down too much causing towing issues.

Do you have the payload max for the truck? That's the only other thing to compare although I suspect you are OK here.

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 11:49 AM   #7

Guys thanks for the help I really appreciate it. Please keep it coming. I did figure the extras, but I might have been blinded buy the hole process. I am going to pull this weekend on pretty flat roads. I am going to fill the FW and fuel tanks and load it with all our stuff, minus the atv, and have it weighed. Man I am really excited to have this thing, and all the camping we are planning. I just hope I am not hurting the truck or being unsafe. I want to be responcible.
Old 04-04-2012, 11:49 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

The difference in your rear end ratio of 3.31 verses 3.73 will be very apparent when towing in the mountains. You didn't say whether you have a RWD or 4x4...drive ratio can be changed, however quite expensive on a 4x4.

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 11:55 AM   #9

Ya its a 4x4, and I dont have the max tow. I am going to get it weighed this weekend. I will prob make weight saving buy carring less water and fuel if need be. It is a toy hauler so when I load the atv it will be tied down pretty much over the excels. Damn!! I really thought I had reaserched this, and could trust the dealer.
Old 04-04-2012, 12:05 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Don't feel too bad. You are not the first.

Read up on how to weigh at the scale (if you have never done it). You will need two or three separate weights. Below is a recent thread on the topic ...
Weighed my Rockwood 2306 on a CAT scale

2012 Shamrock 233S
Old 04-04-2012, 12:09 PM   #11

First, you definitely can NOT trust the dealers.
And it is too bad you don't have the higher rear end ratio.
But I wouldn't panic just yet. That motor pulls like a bear.
I would suggest waiting to fill your fuel and water until you are close to your destination. And if you have to drive a bit slower up the grades, just pull in behind the semis and follow them up, no big deal.
The beauty of western Colorado is that it isn't all that far to anywhere you want to go, so no need to be in a hurry.
I envy you being so close to so much awesome quad riding. We used to go every summer for about 10 years, and really need to get back to the high country.
crocus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 09:58 PM   #12

It would figure I have bad luck. I def will get it weighed this weekend on my way to the camp site. I will not be in a hurry thats for sure. Ill keep in eye on the tranny temp also. I will be running my brake control at 6.5 to start that seemed to work pretty well on the way home from the dealer. Im gonna check the mesurments again when she is loaded. Just the camper dry droped the rear 1 1/2in. Didnt seem to make the ride any ruffer. Well see. Thanks for all the info guys. SFC C
Old 04-04-2012, 10:28 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfctanker
It would figure I have bad luck. I def will get it weighed this weekend on my way to the camp site. I will not be in a hurry thats for sure. Ill keep in eye on the tranny temp also. I will be running my brake control at 6.5 to start that seemed to work pretty well on the way home from the dealer. Im gonna check the mesurments again when she is loaded. Just the camper dry droped the rear 1 1/2in. Didnt seem to make the ride any ruffer. Well see. Thanks for all the info guys. SFC C
Our friends pull their 32 foot Laredo with a Dodge Ram 1500 4x4. Yes, they're over their towing max, but it pulls fine. They won't win any speed records, but it gets them to the campgrounds.
trudinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 10:55 PM   #14

Does anybody have helper springs on there trucks? I have been told that a good set works pretty good.
Old 04-04-2012, 11:40 PM   #15

Oh I cant belive I forgot this when I was towing my steering wheel was off to the left, the truck wasnt pulling but it was windy as heck out too. Is there anything I should check when hooked up to be able to figure this out?
Old 04-05-2012, 05:23 AM   #16

have the steering checked by the FORD dealer...I have found if you want info about Trucks ..go to The FORD dealers not just 1 or 2 ..ask the same questions ..and heres another good source look at the 2012 offical FORD towing specs guide on-line...its all there..i am thinking of ordering a 2012 F 150 ..crew cab XLT (ecoboost )..with a 6 1/2 box.. it would have the heavy duty payload pkg..and also ..the MAX towing pkg ...3.73 limited slip rear axel..4x2... giving about 2,650 lbs of payload capacity and 11,300 lbs of towing capability..both convetional trailer or 5th wheel
dretired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 07:12 AM   #17
Now a "Top Member"

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfctanker View Post
Does anybody have helper springs on there trucks? I have been told that a good set works pretty good.
Helper springs or air bags will help level your truck, in addition to the weight distribution. And they may help with the ride. But they won't increase your GVWR or any of those numbers. I'm afraid you might have bit off more than you can chew with that trailer. You may have a difficult decision ahead. Either a smaller trailer, a bigger truck, or continue with what you have and constantly be fearing the worst. But before you get to that point, it will be interesting to see what you find at the weigh station. Please let us know.
Retired AF MSgt

I thought I was wrong once, but I was wrong!
EdJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 07:24 AM   #18
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
and could trust the dealer.

Eek, is right.

The Truck dealer is trying to make a deal (usually for what is in the lot and he is paying interest on - not what is right for you which has to be ordered); and HE will never have to tow it. Most likely he will move on to another dealer before you come back.

The Camper dealer is trying to sell you the biggest ticket he can since his commission is based on a percentage of the bottom line. He also wants you to be happy with THE CAMPER; the truck is YOUR problem.

The salesman always has a conflict of interest here and should N E V E R be trusted to have your best interest at heart.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 07:25 AM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfctanker
It would figure I have bad luck. I def will get it weighed this weekend on my way to the camp site. I will not be in a hurry thats for sure. Ill keep in eye on the tranny temp also. I will be running my brake control at 6.5 to start that seemed to work pretty well on the way home from the dealer. Im gonna check the mesurments again when she is loaded. Just the camper dry droped the rear 1 1/2in.
Glad to hear you are weighing. Post the weights back here. Curious minds want to know.

In the meantime, you mentioned the back of the truck dropping, which is normal. But what is more useful is to see what the front is doing. Measure the height of the front wheel well three times to estimate a good distribution of the WDH:

1) Loaded truck but not hitched
2) loaded truck hitched without spring bars snapped up.
3) loaded truck hitched with spring bars engaged. The front wheel well height should be between #1and #2 (actually close to or the same height as measurement #1). Check your Ford manual for the height they want you to achieve.

2012 Shamrock 233S
Old 04-05-2012, 07:35 AM   #20
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Oh I cant belive I forgot this when I was towing my steering wheel was off to the left, the truck wasn't pulling but it was windy as heck out too. Is there anything I should check when hooked up to be able to figure this out?
You have a GIANT sail behind you. Any wind from the sides will ruin your day if the rig is not properly balanced and within its tow limits. (Something your dealers will never tell you.)

That 10-15% tongue load on a travel trailer is not a joke. It HAS to be that way. Shifting weight around to make the truck "in limits" is dangerous. Too little weight on the tongue and you have a fishtail nightmare on your hands. Too much weight on the tongue and you have a jack knife time bomb in a panic stop.

Your camper "may" be too long for your wheel base. While there are only "rules of thumb" out there on the net, (several posts here with them), it is a fact that when your TV is too short for your trailer length you will have handling issues. You will know you have a TV that may be too short for your camper if you find yourself "sawing" the steering wheel. (fighting it all the time to keep it going straight. *assuming the tongue or pin weight is correct as this can also cause handling issues like this*) You will be replacing front tires every year or two (this length issue is not only a TT issue but happens in 5th wheels as well.)
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote