Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-30-2015, 12:23 PM   #21

I have a Reese pro series with friction sway and don't like it. I had a Reese dual cam on my last TT and am thinking about going back to that system as I never felt TT behind me with that truck.
bgigacz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 01:05 PM   #22

Coachmen 30BHS pulled by 2012F150 Ecoboost with Reese Dual Cam. No problems so far. Ordered from Etrailer, great folks to work with.
Baldicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 01:50 PM   #23

Propride, Propride, Propride...oh did I mention Propride!
Old 07-30-2015, 02:46 PM   #24

I had the same experience with a Reese dual cam WD hitch. I bought a Hensley Arrow. Believe me you haven't tow comfortably until you've towed with a Hensley. It handles far better than my motor home did in traffic. I am on a 5000 mile trip right now. People stop and take photos of and all are fascinated with the engineering of the thing. I wouldn't use anything else. No noise and you can make very tight turns with it. Some say it is hard to hook up. Not true. You learn how it works in short order. Any problems you encounter at first is due to not understanding how the hitch head is adjusted. Call Hensley. They will set you up with the hitch to best handle your trailer and tow vehicle. Ask if they have a re manufactured. You will save big time. How valuable is safety and comfort will traveling?
Old 07-30-2015, 03:04 PM   #25
Georgia Rally Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustman_stx View Post
I can't recommend the ProPride (works the same as a Hensley) enough. You'll notice a huge improvement going to something like an Equalizer 4 point, though.
X 2 made a big difference going to this system. I also installed a set of Timbren rear snubbers. Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing. Traded 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 03:35 PM   #26

try a little more pressure in the tv tires, solved my sway problems.
rr retired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 04:55 PM   #27

Anderson Hitch

The Anderson hitch is the best ever. I tow a 36ft TT and this hitch is great. I have used many and with sway bars. Nothing in comparison. you have tight turning and shock absorption no bounce. Can't say enough about it. John
jpbenitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 06:40 PM   #28

Sway control

Quote:
Originally Posted by greyson View Post
I am new to forums so please bear with me. I have been towing smaller TT's for about 20 years and recently purchase a 2016 Grey Wolf 29DBH and towing it with a 2015 Silverado 1500. First couple of trips were local and it pulled OK with a Pro Series™ RB2 Wt. Dist. Kit w/#63970 Shank, 10,000 lbs. (GTW), 800 lbs. (TW). Dealer added a sway control bar and off we went.

On our first "Long Haul" everything was fine until I hit the freeway (I-75) heading to northern Michigan. White knuckle ALL THE WAY! Back end of TT was out of control. I measured my tongue weight before I went and I was at 11% of total weight including cargo (weighed everything when I loaded it).

I called the dealer when we got back and they recommended a second sway control bar or a Reese dual cam set up. I am not real keen on that idea because of changing weather conditions while driving and heard that if you don't lighten up on the sway controls during wet driving conditions it could cause an issue.

Is anyone using the Reese Dual Cam System on a similar set up as mine?

Any recommendations are greatly appreciated.
The Reese Dual cam system has worked good for me . Camper111
Camper111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 06:43 PM   #29

Sway Control Dual Cam

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgigacz View Post
I have a Reese pro series with friction sway and don't like it. I had a Reese dual cam on my last TT and am thinking about going back to that system as I never felt TT behind me with that truck.
I recently traded our bumper pull for bought a 5th wheel. I have a Reese dual cam setup I would sell if you are interested. I live outside Austin Texas. Camper111
Camper111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 06:57 PM   #30
Georgia Rally Coordinator

I use the equalizer 4 point hitch works great with my 35 ft tt. Laterr RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing. Traded 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 08:00 PM   #31

Reese vs Equalizer

I have owned three different brands of hitches with sway control over the years and find the Equalizer to be much better than the Reese Duo Cam. The key to performance for any of these hitches is to take the time to adjust the hitch to fit your TV and TT based on the average loading you will be regularly carrying. When most folks get a TT from a dealer, they set up the hitch at the dealership without having either the TV or TT loaded and this simply will not work properly. I too have a Reese Duo Cam hitch, including shank, hitch head and torsion arms all available at a bargain price.
magpi26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 08:20 PM   #32

If interested in the Andersen I can make you a great deal on one. I really like the Andersen myself.

2016 Ford F250 XLT 4X4 6.2L
2015 Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329SS
Hensley Arrow
uhduh camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 09:36 PM   #33

Are you sure about your tongue weight? 800 sounds low for a 29' bunkhouse. Dry mine was 800 but loaded much closer to 1000. Which that high tongue weight is tough one a 1/2 ton. Now, I have an Anderson on my Tundra and I agree that it controls sway well but does not transfer enough back to the front wheels. Most people that are completely happy with it are 3/4 or 1 ton drivers. Once in a while I feel like I have the setup perfect but it's usually a one in four shot.

A good starting place is take a look at your truck tires and see if they are p metric or LT tires. Then air them up to max cold sidewall pressure and go for a test. It was four months of white knuckles before I heard about this. This doesn't cost anything so give it a try.

Just glad to get away
HONDAMAN174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 09:56 PM   #34

Unfortunately my husband and I have been experiencing the same problems for almost 3 years now.. And we have spent so much money on our truck and new WDH, 2 sway bars .. in excess of $6K.. We also pulled a smaller TT for years.. never any problems.. Then bought a NEW Rockwood Ultra light, 26', weights about 6,000 #'s (dry weight).. other trailer weighed about 4,500.. so we thought, it has to be the truck! right? People told us it was the weight wasn't disturbed in the trailer correctly, your trucks tires aren't right and it just goes on and on.. all people just guessing at our expense..and every time still ended with same issue.
Then this last NOV while still under warranty we had an axle go bad.. they replaced.. however still the same problem!
We found out that the new trailer has independent suspension.. not advisable for a heavy trailer.. and it is all over the road, SCARY ALL OVER THE ROAD! This heavy of trailer should NOT have independent suspension it is all about a "safety" issue.. Our tires which might have possibly 8K miles are almost warn out..
I will be contacting the forest river warranty agent for this area soon.. I have had many problems in the past with this guy.. had to call channel 7 on your side to get issues resolved.. Good Luck..
LSwesey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 10:28 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSwesey View Post
Unfortunately my husband and I have been experiencing the same problems for almost 3 years now.. And we have spent so much money on our truck and new WDH, 2 sway bars .. in excess of $6K.. We also pulled a smaller TT for years.. never any problems.. Then bought a NEW Rockwood Ultra light, 26', weights about 6,000 #'s (dry weight).. other trailer weighed about 4,500.. so we thought, it has to be the truck! right? People told us it was the weight wasn't disturbed in the trailer correctly, your trucks tires aren't right and it just goes on and on.. all people just guessing at our expense..and every time still ended with same issue.
Then this last NOV while still under warranty we had an axle go bad.. they replaced.. however still the same problem!
We found out that the new trailer has independent suspension.. not advisable for a heavy trailer.. and it is all over the road, SCARY ALL OVER THE ROAD! This heavy of trailer should NOT have independent suspension it is all about a "safety" issue.. Our tires which might have possibly 8K miles are almost warn out..
I will be contacting the forest river warranty agent for this area soon.. I have had many problems in the past with this guy.. had to call channel 7 on your side to get issues resolved.. Good Luck..

There are literally thousands of people happily cruising the roads with torsion axles on trailers heavier than 6k. $3500 ago you could have bought a ProPride and solved any sway issues you had. Sounds like you got a lot of bad advice.
dustman_stx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 12:19 PM   #36

Most of that advice came from here.. , new tires, new front end, new shocks, new, new, still same problem... sad huh..
My mechanic is probably the only person I would trust at this point.. Should have gone to him first.. All the other "professionals" we went to didn't know what they were talking about apparently, cause we still had the same issues.. sad really..
There might be thousand using the torsion system.. but ours doesn't work! The tires have maybe 8K miles and nearly warn out.. those tires are working over time.. I am happy other people didn't have this problem.. mine is just a lemon.. in more ways than one.. First 2 years we had the trailer it was in the shop for this and that for 14 months.. so many issues.. oh well.. hopefully Forest River will take care of this problem? If not? Will have to resort to more extreme measures..
Thank you anyway for your input.. always appreciated..
LSwesey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 12:38 PM   #37

I did add air bags to my Silverado and you are correct....a little too much tongue weight for the vehicle. Rides much better. I do think a had a little too much heavy cargo in the rear of the TT on my white knuckle trip. I have the outdoor kitchen and my wifey loaded it with beverages. I also had the rear rack down with 2 bikes on it and without my knowledge my wifey put 5 cases of beverages in the bunkhouse cupboards. Lesson;...Check your load yourself before you leave. My bad! I am still going to purchase a different hitch system. The dealer set up with the pro series and a sway bar just does not get it. Thanks for the input!
greyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 10:14 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSwesey View Post
Most of that advice came from here.. , new tires, new front end, new shocks, new, new, still same problem... sad huh..
My mechanic is probably the only person I would trust at this point.. Should have gone to him first.. All the other "professionals" we went to didn't know what they were talking about apparently, cause we still had the same issues.. sad really..
There might be thousand using the torsion system.. but ours doesn't work! The tires have maybe 8K miles and nearly warn out.. those tires are working over time.. I am happy other people didn't have this problem.. mine is just a lemon.. in more ways than one.. First 2 years we had the trailer it was in the shop for this and that for 14 months.. so many issues.. oh well.. hopefully Forest River will take care of this problem? If not? Will have to resort to more extreme measures..
Thank you anyway for your input.. always appreciated..

If I'm reading your first post correctly- it seems you've had 2 different trucks AND 2 different campers and STILL had issues??? But now you're convinced it's the suspension system on this particular trailer???
dustman_stx is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
hitch