Old 03-08-2013, 09:29 AM   #61
Engineer of Crazy Train

We were in the same situation as you. We love the 23RS (and 25RS more). I know that my baby diesel could handle it without much issues with the proper hitch setup and on relatively flat land. But something told me to look smaller. That is when I came across the 21BH. It still fits our family, but just a little less space. Actually I like the dinette and kitchen better in the 21BH over the 23RS. One day, I will upgrade.

Locomotive Engineer
Nights Camping --- 2015 - 19 Camped | Winterized -- 2014 -18
Come read my Camping Blogs
ChooChooMan74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 09:31 AM   #62
Flagstaff 625D Popup

Also, if you get into an accident your insurance may not pay if the trailer is "too much" for the tow vehicle.

I know the feeling of "I want what I want", but seriously it's not worth risking people.

Have you considered a trailer with a rear slide (not the tent material like the hybrids). They have a hard slide that has the bed. Gives you lots of room when it is out. And with most you can still access the food storage and the potty even with the rear slide in.

The best advise I could give you is to not rush into anything. Take your time. The right camper that you can safely pull is out there. You just need to keep looking and keeping an open mind.

Bean

Old 03-08-2013, 09:41 AM   #63
Engineer of Crazy Train

Quote:
Originally Posted by bean View Post
Also, if you get into an accident your insurance may not pay if the trailer is "too much" for the tow vehicle.

I know the feeling of "I want what I want", but seriously it's not worth risking people.

Have you considered a trailer with a rear slide (not the tent material like the hybrids). They have a hard slide that has the bed. Gives you lots of room when it is out. And with most you can still access the food storage and the potty even with the rear slide in.

The best advise I could give you is to not rush into anything. Take your time. The right camper that you can safely pull is out there. You just need to keep looking and keeping an open mind.

Bean
Those 2 models I posted above are very nice campers. Hope they still have the 25RS in 5 years. Both Roo and Shamrock have those models, and Keystone Outbacks have similar.
Locomotive Engineer
Nights Camping --- 2015 - 19 Camped | Winterized -- 2014 -18
Come read my Camping Blogs
ChooChooMan74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 09:43 AM   #64

We are also a family of 5 and I went through much of the same questions as you are going through now. We loved the space of the separate bunkroom trailers but I just didnt want to have to get the truck to tow them. We settled on the Surveyor SP260. Triple bunk so each of the kids have their own space (and window which is very nice) and room left with the fold down table for a guest. We spend most of our time outside but if it is raining we simply take the table out and use the dinette as a u-shaped couch. It has been 2 years now and we really like the trailer and it is a comfortable tow with our GMC half ton crew cab. Good luck.
Old 03-08-2013, 02:56 PM   #65

So one question I failed to ask is, what is the longest trailer you think I can safely tow based on a 123" wheelbase? Is there any science to this or is it experience and intuition?

My Aramada is like a Tahoe or Expedition so I assume we would all be in the same position.
Old 03-08-2013, 03:18 PM   #66
Moderator Emeritus

There is no real standard for wheelbase to trailer length. There is a general rule of thumb that was developed (as I understand it) without engineering or any experimentation behind it. IOW its someone's opinion:

For the first 110" of wheelbase, this allows you 20' of trailer.
For each additional 4" of wheelbase, this gets you 1' more of trailer."

Basically, the longer the TV's wheelbase the better handling with a longer trailer.

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 03:38 PM   #67
Moderator Emeritus

Also, I should add there is a bit more to matching up the TV and TT. A heavier TV will do better than a lighter TV with the same trailer. So, its not just wheelbase that matters here because the longer the tow vehicle wheelbase and heavier the tow vehicle, the less apt sway is to begin.

What you want to do is to find an SUV that is adequate in its tow capacity, its weight ratings and its payload AND is stable. The wheelbase and weight of the vehicle plays into this.

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 03:48 PM   #68

So if I go with a pro pride hitch, I might be able to stretch it to 30'. I've been reading some Armada forums and there seem to be a few people pulling 30 to 33 foot trailers with a lot of success. It seems the biggest issue is the GVWR and keeping it under 7500 wet and an expensive WDH/Stanalizer pkg makes a big difference.

Maybe the Coachmen 292 would work. 29' box and ~32' tip to tail. It also comes in at ~ 6K dry and ~ 740 HW
Old 03-08-2013, 04:45 PM   #69
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triguy View Post
There is no real standard for wheelbase to trailer length. There is a general rule of thumb that was developed (as I understand it) without engineering or any experimentation behind it. IOW its someone's opinion:

For the first 110" of wheelbase, this allows you 20' of trailer.
For each additional 4" of wheelbase, this gets you 1' more of trailer."
An equation that closely follows those "suggestions" is:

The tow vehicle wheelbase in inches divided by 5 should be the maximum conventional bumper pull overall trailer length in feet.

With that calculation, a 123" wheelbase vehicle should tow a maximum of a 24.6' trailer.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 04:56 PM   #70

Hornswoggle, I have a QX56 which is also made by Nissan and very similar to the Armada in terms of towing capacity. After much research and numbers crunching I decided to get the Wildcat Maxx 26BHS. However, the 29BHS looks like it could have worked but would have been pushing the wheel base to trailer length guideline and the tongue weight limit once gear and accessories were added. Take a look on Forest River's website at the Wildcat Maxx 29BHS. It has a separate bedroom for kids with three beds, cable tv hookup and closet. Wildcat Maxx Travel Trailer by Forest River

2013 Forest River Wildcat Maxx 26BHS
2011 Infinity QX56
maverick_415 is offline   Reply With Quote