Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-10-2013, 12:33 PM   #81

How Much Trailer Can I Tow?
March 2, 2013 By Hensley Mfg. 1-800-410-6580 1 Comment
This is the single most popular question we get asked. Folks will watch our free video, where we demonstrate the sway control effectiveness of the Hensley Arrow by towing a 35′ Airstream at 45mph through a slalom course. Yes, the video is real. Despite accusations of Hensley being the only RV company with a hi-tech special effects video lab, everything in the video actually happened. In fact, most of us have towed some very large trailers with sedans and light trucks.

Does that mean you should hook up the Honda Accord to a 30′ trailer? Probably not.

The purpose of the Hensley Hitch is to give you more stability than possible with a conventional hitch. The projection of the pivot point allows your rig to behave with even more stability than a 5th-wheel. One of the issues we have with tow ratings is that they allow more weight with a 5th-wheel than with a travel trailer. Why? Stability. Weight is weight. Once you’ve taken stability out of the towing equation–which is what the Hensley Hitch does–you can tow a travel trailer that is equal in size and weight to a 5th-wheel.

Trailer Sway
You will hear folks from Hensley Mfg. speak often about trailer sway. Trailer sway is the #1 enemy of the trailer owner. Trailer sway has caused more accidents, destroyed more vacations, and taken more lives than any other danger the RVer may encounter. Eliminating–not controlling–trailer sway should be at the top of every potential trailer buyer’s checklist when they walk onto the dealer lot. If the RV industry did its job, no one would ever place more importance on the color of the curtains than in the sway control hitch. It would be like buying a car based on the interior color, then saving money by removing the brakes.

Yes, we’re that serious about it. You should be, too.

Travel Trailer Size
That brings us back to the question–how much trailer can I tow?

There is no hard and fast rule for this. It depends on several factors:

Your vehicle’s tow rating. I never said this didn’t matter. It gives you a good starting point. You may be fine towing more. You may want to tow less. Remember, the advertised weight of a trailer is the “dry” weight. You’ll add about 1500 to 2000 pounds to that after you fill it with water and your collection of vintage cast iron.
How many miles per year are you towing. The weekend warrior will probably tow less than a thousand miles per year. You are probably using the tow vehicle for daily activities and putting an additional 20-25k on the odometer every year. Believe me, that’s wearing down the vehicle more than the towing miles. Yes, you’ll replace parts sooner than if you didn’t tow at all, but that’s part of the cost. No trailer is weightless, so there really isn’t much difference on vehicle wear between a 5,000 trailer and an 8,000 pound trailer. Have the vehicle maintenance fund built up. Eventually, you’ll need it. Of course, if you plan on being a full-timer and putting 20,000 tow miles on your vehicle every year, you’ll want to beef up the vehicle, buy a lighter trailer, or just plan on spending more on maintenance. It’s all about planning.
Your experience. This is probably the best method to determine what you can tow. After you’ve towed, parked, and lived in a trailer for a few years, you have a good idea of what you can handle. I mention parking because few take it into a consideration. A 30′ trailer and an extended cab pick-up equal to about 50′ of parking fun. When campgrounds say they have spaces for 30′ trailers, they apparently assume you don’t plan on bringing a tow vehicle with it. State Parks are notorious for 10′ wide roads in front of the sites, with many young saplings awaiting their fate as you swing the truck around. While the Hensley Hitch shortens that pivot by about 3 feet, you still need some space. Take that into consideration before you buy the Silverado crew cab with the 8′ bed.

Travel Trailer Size…do the Math
So it is a combination of several factors. Using myself as an example, I fall under the weekend warrior category (no, Hensley does not give us 6 months a year to “test” our products…still working on that). I have a Chevy Avalanche that has a tow rating of 7200lbs. My 33′ Sunnybrook has a dry weight of 7200lbs., so it weighs about 8500lbs. loaded. The truck tows the trailer easily. Parking with the short wheel based Avalanche is a dream. And yes, I have had to replace some axle components at a cost of about $700. This was after about 80,000 miles.

Here’s where you do the math. You can buy a 3/4 ton truck with a 6.0l engine for about an additional $10,000. You will use about $500 more gas every year as well. Was the trade-off worth it for me? Absolutely. Would a full-timer heading to Alaska be comfortable with the possibility of a breakdown somewhere in the Northwest Territories? I think probably not. I’m going with the 3/4 ton or the smaller trailer (and two spare tires).

The nice thing about full-timers and snowbirds is that most have been towing for a while. They know what the risks are and can make the buying decision based on a long history. Most first-time buyers are the weekend warriors. I always advise them to keep the trailer around 27′. I find those to have plenty of room, full slide-outs, and can easily fit into any public or private campground. With that starting point, you can determine where to go for your next trailer. The one I refer to as the “empty-nester.”

If you have any questions at all, we’re all RVers here at Hensley Mfg. We’ve all been towing for a minimum of twenty years, so we’ve got a pretty good database of knowledge. We’re happy to help. Give us a call at 1-800-410-6580.

See you under the awning.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	hensley-hitch-can-am-rv.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	24.9 KB
ID:	25355  
Hensley Cub hitch ,
jlgail4309 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 01:20 PM   #82

You will be fine with an Equal-i-zer E4 or Reese Dual Cam. If you want a propride or hensley by all means buy one, but you don't need it.

2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
EQUALIZER E4 1200/12000
lbrjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 02:31 PM   #83

It looks like your using a F25o they are wanting to use a 2012 Armada . They are maxing out the TV . Without going with the best hitches . He needs to find a smaller trailer. Myself find a smaller trailer and get the best hitch you can find .
Hensley Cub hitch ,
Old 03-10-2013, 02:59 PM   #84

You have your opinion and I have mine. Neither one matters at all. The OP will choose what he feels is best for him. Saying he must choose a shorter trailer or must use a Hensley with the longer trailer is silly.

2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
EQUALIZER E4 1200/12000
lbrjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 03:22 PM   #85
Denver, CO

You are both being silly. You have stated your opinions, now just let the poor OP make his decision.
Old 03-10-2013, 04:10 PM   #86

No matter what choice you make. You and your family are going to have a great time. Buying a travel trailer has been the best time for my family. Just take your time and enjoy buying your rv. Please post some picture and have a great time.
Hensley Cub hitch ,
Old 03-10-2013, 04:22 PM   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlgail4309 View Post
No matter what choice you make. You and your family are going to have a great time. Buying a travel trailer has been the best time for my family. Just take your time and enjoy buying your rv. Please post some picture and have a great time.
That all depends on safety. Having a great time in your camper should be priority #2 with family's safety being #1.
Previously:
2005 Fleetwood Seapine, 2012 Rockwood Roo
2015 Sunseeker, 2017 Fleetwood Pace Arrow
hockeytownmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 04:26 PM   #88
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triguy View Post
I feel for you, too.

This calculator from Changingears should help explain a lot

Forest River Forums - Downloads - Calculator - Travel Trailer Weight Calculator

Its a way to look at the different weights and ratings and to see how they all interact.

I hate to say this, but my own experience with what dealers tell me I can tow is hit or miss (to put it nicely). I'd guesstimate that more than half just don't have a clue, that a third don't care and the rest will tell it to you straight. The last group are the ones you want to do business with as they have your best interest at heart.

My advice is to play with the calculator so that you have a very good understanding of how this stuff works.

Best of luck.

X-2 White knuckle towing can ruin every camping trip. Use the calculators and do your own math.JMHO.
grayfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 04:43 PM   #89

Wow! You guys are cracking me up! I wanted some feedback, but never thought I would start a firestorm. In the end, we all need to make our own choices and I have made a choice that fits my family needs the best. If the beefy Armada cannot handle this particular camper after one season then I will trade in my tow vehicle for something bigger.

I appreciate all the comments and feedback. You guys helped me avoid the mistake of buying the 37' 320BHDS and although there are strong opinions against a 29' camper with a 33' trailer, I will finalize the WDH and Sway over the next couple weeks.

ProPride or Reese Dual Cam. I might start with the Reese and then upg, if it isn't cutting it.
Hornswoggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 05:43 PM   #90
Camper Less Camping

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hornswoggle View Post
Wow! You guys are cracking me up! I wanted some feedback, but never thought I would start a firestorm. In the end, we all need to make our own choices and I have made a choice that fits my family needs the best. If the beefy Armada cannot handle this particular camper after one season then I will trade in my tow vehicle for something bigger.

I appreciate all the comments and feedback. You guys helped me avoid the mistake of buying the 37' 320BHDS and although there are strong opinions against a 29' camper with a 33' trailer, I will finalize the WDH and Sway over the next couple weeks.

ProPride or Reese Dual Cam. I might start with the Reese and then upg, if it isn't cutting it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-92808922.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	28.9 KB
ID:	25366

After awhile on these forums...you'll pick out what topics will get the world moving
Glad we could help with the not so fun stuff, get to picking your new RV & get out camping!!!

Old 03-10-2013, 06:00 PM   #91
Engineer of Crazy Train

Quote:

I tow a 22' trailer with 104" of wheelbase. I got the dual cam and it works for me.
Locomotive Engineer
Nights Camping --- 2015 - 19 Camped | Winterized -- 2014 -18
Come read my Camping Blogs
ChooChooMan74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 06:30 PM   #92

Thanks for the feedback! A dual cam system would save me a couple grand.
Old 03-11-2013, 09:07 AM   #93

This cracks me up I have been lurking on these fourms for awhile. It seems like everyone has a opinion. When it came time for me to buy a hitch I read these foums over and over and my gut told me buy the best you can afford because you will be buying later anyways.
Smitty3215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 10:48 AM   #94

Quote:

You'll be good, I pull a 34' WindJammer (total length) with a 2010 Armada using the Reese Dual Cam. I've never had a sway issue (even with trucks passing) and have always felt in complete control. My trailer is 6800 lbs. dry.
Indy Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 10:51 AM   #95

Thanks for the feedback! The one we want has the little yellow sticker that shows the dry weight of 6,348, which includes the spare tire
Old 03-11-2013, 11:51 AM   #96
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty3215 View Post
This cracks me up I have been lurking on these fourms for awhile. It seems like everyone has a opinion. When it came time for me to buy a hitch I read these foums over and over and my gut told me buy the best you can afford because you will be buying later anyways.

Just keep plenty of popcorn on hand, it gets better.
Old 03-12-2013, 09:56 AM   #97

Lol yea I read quite a few and it is always a debate. I understand safety I pull a trailer daily for work. But geez it gets heated over a hitch they all have somewhat the same idea just one works better for one person than the other. And it all come down to setup.
Smitty3215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 10:11 AM   #98

Quote:

I have the Reese and it does very well, but I would suggest the Equal-i-zer. Reese has decided that they no longer want to provide U.S. workers with jobs and are moving to Mexico. I can't support them any longer just for that reason.
Len & Cheri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 10:56 AM   #99
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty3215 View Post
Lol yea I read quite a few and it is always a debate. I understand safety I pull a trailer daily for work. But geez it gets heated over a hitch they all have somewhat the same idea just one works better for one person than the other. And it all come down to setup.

In the end "It's all good" we're all here to help each other. I think there are some things we have to learn by our own experience, hopefully without damage or harm to life or limb. After all we are all individuals.
Old 03-12-2013, 01:42 PM   #100

Thanks for the heads up on Reese. My dealer agreed and directed me towards the higher end Equalizer. I ordered the 292BHDS Liberty Edition. Paid $24,500 with extra grill on back bumper, upgraded Equalizer WDH/Sway, etc.

Very excited