Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-20-2008, 10:03 PM   #1

New Reese straight-line installed, got questions

Installed my new reese straight-line HP hitch this last weekend. I just towed the TT out to our campsite for the weekend. I had to stop on the way and adjust the cams. The trailer was all over the road, but I didn't noticed that the TT was swaying like it used to with the old hitch. What I'm I missing on any of the adjustments? Does it take awhile to set in before it performs correctly? Does the cam adjustments need to be the same on both sides, right now they are not.

2010 Wildcat 30LOFT
2011 RAM 3500 CCLB Cummins
HookMeUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 07:41 AM   #2
Site Team

Looks like you've gotten several good replies over at the other site. I'll second (or third) the suggestion of following the instructions exactly.

There shouldn't be any break-in time that you'd notice any difference.

If you haven't weighed the RV I strongly suggest you do that to ensure you have enough TW (tongue weight) to start with.

As for attitude, I prefer level but an inch or two one way or the other shouldn't make much difference.
Old 05-27-2008, 08:39 AM   #3

The tighter you can make your chains, the better. I run mine on link # 2- both sides the same. I actually run my power jack down while hitched to the TV, and then attach my bars and chains. This takes the weight off that the bars support otherwise, and makes installation much easier. You should have a gold colored short piece of pipe to assist in raising the chain hooks. If you can raise them without the assistance of the aforementioned bar, your'e still not tight enough. I also bought load leveling springs to put on my truck's leaf springs that did a great job with rear end stability on the TV. Hope this helps! Randy
Flowmaster "true duals", 380 h.p., Bilstein shocks
08flagvlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 09:38 PM   #4

I was taking some measurements this evneing before I took the TT back to the storage lot. According to the results I am not transferring enough weight to the front. I think I'll be taking my setup to the scales over the weekend and do some fine tuning.

2010 Wildcat 30LOFT
2011 RAM 3500 CCLB Cummins
HookMeUp is offline   Reply With Quote