Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-06-2011, 07:35 PM   #1

New RVer

Well we have finally made a selection on our first RV. We will take delivery of a Flagstaff 30WRKSS next week. We were so impressed with the unit that I plan to travel over 250 miles to take delivery. My concern with the return travel is in regard to the turning radius of the unit. Although I have pulled many trailers, non have been 32 ft. and I am worried about pulling into gas stations. I have read that the Draw-Tite hitch and Prodigy 2 break unit are the best and the hitch will make the unit turn better. I will be pulling our new unit with a 2010 Nissan Titan with the "big tow" package. Do any of you have any advise on the tracking of the trailer and turning radius. Thanks for any comments or advice and we look forward to joining all of you.
brw549 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 08:45 PM   #2
RV Newbie

Congrats on your purchase.

I'm not a trailer person and wouldn't know about the turning radii, wheel tracking and such beyond personal observations.

I would suggest you find a large lot and try maneuvering around and check how your judgment matches where the trailer ended up tracking. A wet or, better yet, snow covered parking lot would be excellent for "recording" your wheel tracks. You should be able to see how much ground you lose from the front wheels to the back wheels and can physically measure your tightest turning radius. You might pick up a couple of orange traffic cones for targets.

When I got the DW behind the wheel of our 23 foot motorhome for the first time I had her making all sorts of turns while targeting a point for the rear wheels. It took a few tries but she was hitting the mark within minutes and is now capable of driving in any conditions and hasn't brushed a curb yet.
1963 Ford 861 5 speed with loader
1958 Ford 800 Select-O-Speed (parts tractor)
buzzards27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 09:50 PM   #3

Try to plan your fuel stops out in advance. Generally truck stops will offer your best ease of access. If you have to pull into a regular station don't forget to watch your overhead clearance. Worse comes to worse you could drop the trailer, get gas, and then hook up and go again. Oh and....Welcome to the forum!!
"PT Crew Member Since 11/2010"
M109Rrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 12:08 AM   #4

I tow a Heritage Glenn 312qbud and the trailer does a great job tracking the TV... i was really execting the wide turns, but really dont need them. My dealer took us for a test drive when we took delivery and the tech gave me some great advice. He told me instead of swinging wide before the turn that i should stay in ghe turn longer then showed me an exampke. Basically begin your turn, the straighten out and then finish the turn. Kinda like turn in 2 stages. It has worked great for me so far

2011 Heritage Glenn 312QBUD
Old 03-07-2011, 12:12 AM   #5

Location: No longer own a Forest River product, but enjoy the info on this site
that is a great floor plan -- was just on the Forest River website.

The GVWR of this TT is 8,800 ish Lbs. That's cutting it pretty close to the titan's max tow limit, no?

Towing a 34 trailer with a Nissan Titan will be a real adventure... turning radius will not be your primary concern. If you are in flat land - away from semi traffic you will be able to tow the camper. Add wind, hills, possibly altitude (if in the High Country) and the titan will not be satisfactory.

Good luck and enjoy your new camper. Be careful though -- your truck is great but you are towing near the max of its abilities.

Darren
04 - Nissan Titan w/ BT OR Popular Package.... and easily towing a M/L 23LB
teamgl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 06:09 AM   #6

I had the same issues back in 2000 when we started out camping. I had never towed anything before until our first TT and it was 29'. Once you learn how your combo reacts you will be fine, it's always on your mine until you get to that point. As suggested go fine yourself a big lot somewhere, just remember stay cool.
rockwood06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 10:12 AM   #7

Thanks for all the responses to my concern on towing the unit. As to the towing capacity of the Nissan, I thought I was within the limits. The 2010 Nissan Titan's powertrain combination: a 5.6-liter V8 hooked up to a five-speed automatic transmission. The V8 is rated at 317 horsepower and 385 pound-feet of torque. With the optional Tow package, the Titan extended cab is rated to pull up to 9,500 pounds while the crew cab is rated at just 100 pounds less. The transmission features a tow-haul mode for handling heavy loads and an external cooler. Our plans are to use the unit close to home with most trips being in the south (Georgia, Alabama and Florida). More of a weekend getaway and occasionally a week long trip somewhere.
Old 03-07-2011, 11:45 PM   #8

The "Big Tow" package you have on the titan makes a huge difference in towing abilities.

The owner's manual has some great info on towing. On the '04 model, just push the tow mode switch and take it out of 'drive' (tow in 4th).

Enjoy that new camper.... it will be a lot of fun!

See you around the camp fire!

Darren
Old 03-08-2011, 12:10 AM   #9

If you can find an empty stadium parking lot or any empty lot that has a lot of room and raised islands in the parking area you will have an ideal way to practice before ever getting to the gas station.

From the voice of experience. It is better to learn not to cut too close to the islands in an empty lot than it is when the dang gas pumps can get in the way.

Also suggest that you pick your gas stations carefully to give you the most room for easy in and out access. With gas prices as they are it would be tempting to hit the lower price places like Wally World, but they tend to really cram the pumps together without a lot of maneuvering room to get in and out.

Friend of mine told me that the minute you get a new RV you should go put a small scratch on it in a very unnoticeable spot. From that point on you will not be worrying about getting that first mark and how it will happen. You can just relax and enjoy!!!! Have fun camping and may you have many more years of enjoyment out of your RV.
Campingshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 12:53 AM   #10

Just the voice of experience here.....be VERY careful of changes of elevations pulling into and out of gas stops. DO NOT GO THRU TOO BIG OF A DIP AND DRAG THE STABILIZERS OFF THE BACK...like I did.
Was'nt anything $100.00 and a couple hours wont fix though.

Good luck with the new rig folks.
1st, 2nd, and 3rd INTERNATIONAL F.R.O.G. RALLY Branson. MO.
1st, 2nd, and 4th INTERNATIONAL RALLY Goshen, IN.
BOBFIDY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 07:46 AM   #11
Wanna Be Camper

We have a 2011 30WRLS which is the same length 34 ft 3 inches and as has been said try to use truck stops as much as possible. We did a 6000km trip last summer and when we were on secondary type roads in nothern Ontario when we got to 1/2 a tank of fuel I started looking for stations I could drive straight up to the pumps and stopped when I found one. Not sure about your Titan but when we are towing I use mid grade or premimum fuel and it is not always available so that is another thing you need to watch when pulling in. Only once did we have to pull in and back out and I will tell you that is not fun at a busy station. The DW guided me back and stopped traffic coming in. You will discover that the trailer tracks pretty nice in tight spaces after you get used to it, I have been in places that I had to have the DW watch to make sure we cleared everything when we were tturning as you cannot see the outside rear corner when turning. As to the trailer itself and your truck, that is a very long trailer for the wheelbase of your truck more so than a weight issue.
SaskCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 07:59 AM   #12

Thanks for those great comments and the ability to share some funny, but costly stories. We can't wait to get out and visit with other RVers, from those we have met in person or shared communications with on the internet, everyone appears to be our type of people. Thanks again.
Old 03-08-2011, 08:22 AM   #13
Wanna Be Camper

One more thing make sure you get a very good hitch with built in sway control. Blue Ox Swap Pro, Reese Dual Cam or an Equalizer are the only 3 I would consider. The Hensly Arrow and Pro Pride 3 P are fine hitches as well but well over 2k and with the inverted ball reciever the V-Lite trailers have you need a large drop shank which puts the actual hitch too close to the ground IMO.
SaskCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 09:47 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by brw549 View Post
We were so impressed with the unit that I plan to travel over 250 miles to take delivery.
Can you post some photos of your new camper???

Darren