Old 02-28-2010, 03:46 AM   #1

New Salem Owner

We are buying a 94 salem 26BH and being new to all this .. we are wondering if we will be able to tow this with a 96 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 with a 5.9L Cummins diesel (6 cylinder)? The trailer weight is 5,400 lbs loaded, dry hitch weight is 407 lbs. We aren't sure about weights and all those towing numbers. I haven't been able to find an answer on the web. Thanks for any help you can offer. We didn't want to finance a tow vehicle and were going to look at the Dodge truck tomorrow .. for sale at 6K ... I thought that was a good price, but it needs some body work ... any thoughts would be really appreciated!

Old 02-28-2010, 07:27 AM   #2

Welcome to the forums.

No need to buy a new truck. Your's will handle that trailer without any problems.

I believe it's trailers 5,000 lbs and above need weight distribution hitches. If you haven't got one, look into the equal-i-zer or reese dual cam hitches. They have built in sway control and owners of both seem to like them.

Also if you haven't got a brake controller yet, you'll need one of those. Prodigy makes the most popular one.

Good luck and enjoy that trailer!

Just thought I would add. Your hitch weight is usually 10-15% of your actual tt weight. So if you go by 13%, tt weight of 5400 = 702 lbs hitch weight. Of course this is all guess work. You'll need to weigh everything to know for sure. Hope this helps.

Gary & Trish
"PT Crew Member Since 11/2010"
2017 Prime Time Crusader 315RST TE 6.0 : 2007 Flagstaff 206ST MAC Series
2012 F-250 Lariat : FX4 : CC : SB : 6.7L Diesel : 3/55 Gears

2017 Nights Camped - 4
grhodes50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 12:53 PM   #3

Thanks for all the toad info

Hi, by the way ... your TT looks nice! Thank you and yes your information does help ... I have searched hitch stabilizers and have heard of reese, but being so new to this the advise from seasoned RVers is invaluable. Because the truck is older than 2003 there is no GVWR info available. You mentioned a prodigy brake controller ... my son told me to get a TT with elec. brakes ... the rv info states this model has elec brakes. How does the brake controller work? I am so glad to learn what we need ... this forum is great! It's like having many personal RV tutors! Because of what I read on the forum, we decided to get the extended 4 year warranty. I read someone's thread where their new RV fridge failed and they cost 2K ... they were covered under warranty. Being so new to RVing we don't want to burn up something! Thank you for your reply and the help!
Old 02-28-2010, 01:10 PM   #4

mission impossible,

Here are a couple of links to web sites that can help you better than I can. If you have any questions after visiting these sites, just ask. People on here a willing to help.

http://equalizerhitch.com/
This is the hitch system I use and I really like it. Easy to install & hook up. No trailer sway in high winds or when semi's pass.

http://www.tekonsha.com/product/default.asp
I have an in-dash factory brake controller so I don't use this product. It seems like most people on this forum use and like this brand the best.

Here's a link to a thread on this forum by radio. It has alot of useful links that should help you.
A bunch of helpful RV links that newbies will like

Gary & Trish
"PT Crew Member Since 11/2010"
2017 Prime Time Crusader 315RST TE 6.0 : 2007 Flagstaff 206ST MAC Series
2012 F-250 Lariat : FX4 : CC : SB : 6.7L Diesel : 3/55 Gears

2017 Nights Camped - 4
grhodes50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 01:41 PM   #5

So long as the truck is in good working condition it should tow your tt very well, from your origional post, it looks as you are questioning the 6 cylinder engine, a 96 dodge with the deisel is a Cummins Turbo Deisel, the 6 cylinder is the same engine that Freightliner uses in their medium duty 2 ton trucks, a very good engine. The engine will pull stronger than the Ford Powerstroke V8. Potential problems with the truck would include turbo, transmission and rear end. Question to see what kind of duty life the truck has had, does it have a trailer ball in the bed? Has it been used by a commercial business towing heavy loads? Has it been used by a private owner who has used it for similar purposes as you plan to use it?

We have operated the Dodge trucks extensively previously in a family business, the trucks were pre-96 year model, they were pulling more than 90% of their duty life and pulling very heavy loads, which stressed the transmissions and rear ends, however, if the trucks are used as holiday tow vehicles you can expect very little wear and tear on these components.

Around 94-95 Dodge realized this issue with previous year trucks and began to beef up the brake systems and the transmissions. About that same time I got out of the family business and wasn't exposed to the maintainence issues any longer.

The engine is strong, a lot of horse power, a lot of torque (hense the problems with the transmission and rear end).

Chances are that the truck will be a good truck for your needs, expect minor repairs, but should be reliable and won't leave you stranded on the side of the road.
Old 02-28-2010, 09:36 PM   #6

Thanks grhodes50 for the links ... I haven't got a chance to visit them yet ... been busy trying to understand something about diesel engines ... we did see the 96 dodge ram today and are purchasing it ... needs some body work ... but seems to be a great truck with lots of power ... whew! a relief to find something with enough power and not priced through the ceiling. Gary ... who is the seller was very open and showed us what it needed ... he could have hit us up for more ... he did allot of work to the front end ... used to plow snow by original owner and he had to replace nearly the entire front end.

Thank you again ... guess I can't say that enough!
Old 02-28-2010, 10:07 PM   #7

Hi flyrotor ... Thank you for your reply. Yes, I was concerned about the 6 cylinder engine. While trying to find the GVWR or towing capacity for the dodge ram ... I was getting conflicting weights on the web ... I knew the 2500 is a 3/4 ton truck designation and the rv dealer said we should get at least a 1/2 ton truck ... so I couldn't understand some of the dealers figures of towing capacity of 3800 lbs. maybe they are trying to discourage buying an older truck in lieu of an expensive newer version ... don't know but I finally found a gov. web site that said the 96 diesel has a towing capacity of 10,000 lbs. which made much more sense. We did buy the dodge ram ... needs some body work but not too bad ... the most important things are there ... motor runs good, good ride ... needs front end alignment, eventually will need 2 new batteries. Gary, the seller seems an honest sort and went through it thoroughly and gave a good background. The original owner bought it for their small business in a strip mall in PA to snowplow their parking lot and do small errands. Gary's friend bought the truck but didn't do anything much with it ... he sold it to Gary minus the snow plow. Gary bought it to tow his drag car to the races but found he had to replace much of the front end. He replaced shocks, springs, tirods, front bumper, tailgate, front brakes, brake lines & fuel lines. His wife won't drive it because it's too big and he now only uses it to go to recycle on the weekends. He said he doesn't need that much truck and he wants something smaller his wife feels comfortable driving. He said he hasn't had it aligned since he replaced most of the front end, although it drove nice ... he strongly urged us to get the alignment done, as he said these trucks can easily get out of control. So, although the truck was beaten by plowing ... no heavy towing was done ... trans runs good, axles are good, motor runs smoothly (but diesel loud) ... the motor has 96K just about broken in for a diesel. He also said the engine could move a house ... has allot of torque! So, for $6K I think we got a bargain at that! Thanks for the info ... helps me feel good about the purchase.
Old 02-28-2010, 11:51 PM   #8

Good to hear, hope it serves your needs