Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-12-2012, 08:18 AM   #1

New to Forum. Surveyor SV-305

Here comes another new guy to the forum. Thanks in advance for the help as I get everything I need to be safe and have fun with the family. I put a down payment on a Forest River SV-305 and the dealer is holding it until I upgrade my truck.
Any real world experience would be fantastic! I'm considering buying....
- 2012 F 150 Ecoboost, SCrew 156" wheelbase, Max Tow, 3.73 gear.
- what would be the best / safest WDH for the above?
BTOrvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 09:49 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Hopefully, you hear from some who own the trailer. I've always admired that trailer and even considered it for while but the upgrade needed in tow vehicles made it impractical at the time.

It is long at 35' and has a huge CCC and GVWR so much of this depends on what you load. If loaded to the max, the TW would need to be 1,100-1,600lbs (10-15%). If you load it to half way of CCC, than the tongue would still be around 1,200lbs at 13%.

You can buy integrated hitches such as the Equal-i-zer and the Reese Dual Cam with bars heavy enough to support those TWs, but I would really consider a Propride or Hensley hitch if you intend to load heavy.

You asked and those are, without a doubt, the "best/safest" WDH around. They are expensive if you buy new. Heck, they're expensive if you buy used, but worth it by all accounts.

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 10:46 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

I'd suggest that you seriously consider the max payload option also when purchasing the '12 F150. I believe that it adds another 600 lbs of payload capacity compared to the max towing alone.

Another vote for a integrated W/D with sway control such as Equal-i-zer or Reese Dual Cam.

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 10:53 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

The 156" wheelbase is good. The maximum tow package with the 3.73s is good. Consider the maximum payload option. That is going to be limiting factor with a 1/2 ton truck. You are going to be hanging 1000 to 1200 lbs. on the truck, and that will cut significantly into your cargo carrying capacity (payload).

Also, don't rule out a 3/4 ton truck completely. Check out the stats and prices. If I had it to do over again, I would have gotten a 3/4 when I bought my F150 in 2006. I am approaching my GVWR on some trips, even with just a 5500 lb. camper, though my truck is rated to tow 9300 lbs.

In addition to the 2 "cheap" WDHs Scott suggested, Blue Ox Sway Pro is another unit to consider. Just make sure whatever brand you get has built in sway control as in the models suggested.

Hensley and ProPride are the top of the line WDHs, but 5 times the price of the other suggested units.

It is great you are doing your homework before the purchases.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 10:54 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Monica View Post
I'd suggest that you seriously consider the max payload option also when purchasing the '12 F150.
Darn it, you snuck in with your post while I was composing.

Old 06-12-2012, 10:58 AM   #6

Thanks for the quick and helpful responses so far. I have a call into the Ford dealership to see about getting the HD option and possibly a bigger truck over all.

I have the names of the suggested hitches and I'll start the search for those.

Thanks again.
Old 06-28-2012, 09:41 PM   #7

Update.
Picked up a 2012 Ecoboost, Screw with 6.5 bed (long wheelbase), max tow (not HD). I added Firestone ride-rites this past weekend and a Reese WDH.
Picked up the 2013 Forest River 305 this afternoon. Towed about 15 miles home.

Hooked up the TT to the Ecoboost with no sag on the back end. The RV technician suggested I take it home with no additional air in the ride-rites just to see how it felt (I leave 5 psi in the all the time). It felt like small ocean waves back there a little going about 55 mph. I'm thinking about 50 psi in the ride-rites should take care of that.
I'm certainly not experienced towing yet but I'm certainly pleased with my set up (although it was only 15 miles). Pulled great from a stop and I had to be careful to not go faster then 55 mph...lots of pedal left.
Our next trip will be to a state park about 50 miles away in about 2 weeks.
I'll let you know how it goes.
Thanks again to everyone who replied to my original post.
Oh...the best part was our 9 and 6 year olds were pumped when we took the
to the RV shop and told them we were going home with the 305!
Keep it between the lines...
BT
Old 06-29-2012, 07:03 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

1st off, I am not a big fan of air bags on a 1/2 ton truck. Too easy to pump those puppies up, and not realize there is too much weight on the rear axle.

The air bags do nothing to distribute the trailer tongue weight to the front axle....that is solely the responsibility of the WDH. My suggestion would be to deflate the air bags, setup the WDH properly, then add a small amount of pressure to the air bags to improve the ride and stance of the truck if needed. When that is obtained, then the hitch ball can be moved up or down to level the trailer. Don't use the air bags or WDH to level the trailer....that is done with the hitch ball height.

Old 06-29-2012, 07:16 AM   #9

From what I researched a lot of people had great results with the air bags on a half ton so that's why I installed them.

The WDH and the ball height are set up correctly.

I'm going to pump up the bags just enough to take the bounce off the back.

Have a better / great day.

Tags