Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-09-2013, 03:44 PM   #41

RKR, I agree you normally have to order the rear end in a high end comfort truck. They just don't order it because of the fuel mileage.
MikeRP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 05:25 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
I, for one, don't agree that being over your truck's GVWR is a fact of life. I personally ensure that my truck is within all of its ratings and regularly check. Unfortunately dealers simply want to sell you a camper and "sure, that'll tow this" is easy for them to say. You'll also find lots of people on the Internet who will happily say, "I tow a crap ton over my ratings and it's just fine" (lots of times with various arguments ranging from "it's essentially the same truck" to "they're just lawyer stickers" and they like to look down their noses at those who disagree and use terms like "weight police" in a condescending way. Those on the side of sticking to your ratings like it use vague "your going to illegal" or "your insurance will abandon you if you're ever in an accident" or "you'll be fine until the -ish hits the fan". At the end of the day, I think it's important to know what you're doing and make an educated decision either way.

What's good for the old hat who has been towing for a long, long time isn't the same as the newbie who wants to fulfill a dream.

What is your experience with trucks?

What is your experience with towing?

What do you really know about towing terms and how/what the numbers mean?

I think you need to be educated and really spend the time learning what this stuff means before you just hitch up and go (especially if you're over weight significantly).
I was looking at a lot in Paris TX one day... the sales"manager?" said "you got a half or 3/4?" I said 3/4... he said you can pull anything on this lot!!

No other questions asked. I knew that wasn't a general rule, but I didn't argue. They had some BIG trailers there... $75K almost 2 story looking
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 05:58 PM   #43

I wish I still had the pics to show you guys, I'll see if I can find them. However, since I was the victim once of the 2500/3500 problem, I did a lot of research into the capabilities of the truck separate from the sticker ratings. Like I said there is very little difference between the 2500/3500 trucks srw in any of the big manufacturers. So a lot of folks also don't want a dually, they prefer to tow heavy with a srw. There are some things they do to achieve this, add the extra leaf spring in the 2500, add stiffer rear shocks, add air bags for additional lateral support, some upgrade sway bars, and also add new tires that have a larger carrying capacity, also some change out to 4.10's if they didn't have them. It can be done, one has to involve the dealers, even factory advice, and payload capacity on the pin can be substantially increased safely. I knew at one time several folks who did just that very safely with heavy tows. I didn't need to do it because I had not bought my 5ver at that time. Point is if the op is stuck with the truck, he could get with his dealer and see if he can achieve his needs before gives up his dream 5ver. Btw, I'm not suggesting what I said is cheap. It may be better just to eat the difference on a trade immediately.
MikeRP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 07:27 AM   #44

to tell you the truth i have no idea. i bought this unit new in 2009 specifically to use with my 40' toyhauler. wondering how i can tell what kind of rear end it has ?
GaryanJane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 08:52 AM   #45
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryanJane View Post
to tell you the truth i have no idea. i bought this unit new in 2009 specifically to use with my 40' toyhauler. wondering how i can tell what kind of rear end it has ?
There's a few of ways to find out. The axle ratio is sometimes on a label in the glove box; there'll be an axle code on the GVWR sticker on the DS door piller that you'll have to decode; call a dealer with your VIN and they'll look it up for you.

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 08:37 PM   #46

Well, after a few nights of tossing and turning and worrying, this is what we've decided: the truck was off the lot and considered used now, and we would take a pretty big hit trading it back for a 3500. We don't want to give up the idea of a fiver, so we're going to bulk up the suspension on the 2500 and travel light! We really appreciated all of the comments to help us work through this! Hope to see many of you on the road in the future. Thanks all!
FLBrutus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 01:29 PM   #47

We made it! No problems with the TV, but will install airbags just for added support. Took 4 days bringing it from Ohio to South Florida, just ahead of brutally cold weather. Had a few minor instances due to the fact that we couldn't remember EVERYTHING from the walk through....LOL! They said they were working on videos to help with operation....but then you would have to remember how to turn on DVD player! RVWholesalers were great to work with. My baby brother died from ALS the night before our scheduled walk through, and there was no pressure to reschedule....it was " God bless and let us know when you're ready." When we finally got to them, my mind was not fully focused. They took several hours with us, letting us "do" as it was explained.
FLBrutus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 02:45 PM   #48

Congrats on the new rig and making it back home safe and sound!!
Nights Camped: 2013 - 242014 - 422015 - 56Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 05:22 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLBrutus View Post
We made it! No problems with the TV, but will install airbags just for added support. Took 4 days bringing it from Ohio to South Florida, just ahead of brutally cold weather. Had a few minor instances due to the fact that we couldn't remember EVERYTHING from the walk through....LOL! They said they were working on videos to help with operation....but then you would have to remember how to turn on DVD player! RVWholesalers were great to work with. My baby brother died from ALS the night before our scheduled walk through, and there was no pressure to reschedule....it was " God bless and let us know when you're ready." When we finally got to them, my mind was not fully focused. They took several hours with us, letting us "do" as it was explained.
Sorry about your brother, but glad you got back home alright, you live in a nice area we vacation in that area.... You are also lucky you beat this cold, broke records here in Virginia.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote