Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-01-2018, 02:10 PM   #1

New to Me Tow vehicle

Just wondering what everyone thinks about pulling a 07 SV-303 with a 1500 yukon XL.
Trailer is showing 6200 lbs empty
Yukon is rated for 8200lbs
Yukon payload 1800
I previously towed this camper with a TBI 1995 K1500 chevy pickup.
Collins6754 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 02:19 PM   #2

The problem you will quickly find with any SUV is soft suspension and low ratings. All that extra sheet metal really reduces load carrying capacity. Dry nu bers are really useless. What you should have done before buying anything was to get some accurate ready to travel weights of the trailer. A quick trip across a set of scales while you were test driving the SUV would have given you a fair idea of its weight. That and looking at the door sticker could have given you your answer.
donniedu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 02:42 PM   #3

Yukon Xl rated for 8200 lbs is max tow capacity
The gvwr is 7200 lbs <-----From the door sticker.
I didnt just buy the trailer. I have towed it for 2 years with a 1995 TBI k1500
I have not purchased the Yukon yet. and the deal is so great I will probably purchase is even if it doesnt pull the trailer!
Old 02-01-2018, 03:40 PM   #4

Collins you’ll be fine as long as you don’t have 7 adults inside and set land speed records of 75mph and greater on non windy days.. to me youve towed with the k1500, you have experience buddy... your gonna enjoy it... lotta weight police here that say you can’t pull a pop up with out an f550.. you will enjoy the deal from the purchase and you will learn your families suvs limitations just like you did on that 95 Chevy!!!!

If you are living in the trailer permanently I think you would need to watch your weights when loading but if your vacationing and have a home for a primary address just don’t load bricks and steel beams until you see how she handles!!! Trust me you will know better than anyone else!!! It’s your rig.. based on numbers your well within your means.

Just understand payload, combined weights and even if 6200 lbs is empty add another three-four hundred lbs to the 6200 for batteries and lp tanks.. do they really weigh that much prob not there is new technology that gives you more mah ratings in 12 volt batteries than what the old theory of 6v did. And two I’m assuming 20lb lp tanks don’t really weigh that much even the 30lbs tanks. I have the thirty on mine and I swap them like holding two cases of beer . Water hmm travel with a quarter tank unless drydocking..

Once you try it out you’ll be good the only thing if it’s not the xl model you might have a shorter wheel base and wind might be the only real big thing that I would worry about. Solution slow down or camp another night.

Good luck [emoji256] and enjoy the purchase.. they are very nice suvs..
Blender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 04:54 PM   #5

It is the XL.
We travel light. just food and clothes.
30lb LP cylinder
and never travel with water. If we dont have water and sewer hook up i dont thing the DW is going.
Old 02-01-2018, 05:07 PM   #6

7200 lbs loaded (typical 1000 lbs over dry) times 12% = 864 estimated TW.
Plus weight of WDH will be putting you near 1000 lbs off of that 1800 payload. Will you be putting more than 800 lbs of people and cargo in the truck? If not, you are good...on paper.
Equal-i-zer WDH (10k), Prodigy Brake Controller
thebrakeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 10:09 PM   #7

Collins your good as a matter of fact have you looked at the build sheet because you might have load leveling air bags on that suv already so that’s definitely a plus...
I can’t weight(wait) to see the pictures... kudos and congrats if you do get it!!!
Old 02-01-2018, 10:38 PM   #8

The power of an 07 over a 95 is huge as well. The braking ability of a 07 over an 95 is even greater than the power increase. It will be a vast improvement. If you don't have a factory load leveling rear suspension, I would put these guys in. They don't effect factory ride unloaded even in the slightest. They never leak or fail or need any adjustment. On my Aspen they installed in the driveway in about 10 mins using only a jack to let the axle drop and the spring to expand.
https://www.etrailer.com/Vehicle-Sus...id=20071013139
Hersbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 10:39 PM   #9

My trailer weighs just about the same and I used to pull it with a Tahoe with the same ratings. It did fine. Beef up the rear tires and get the hitch dialed in and it won't be a problem.
Old 02-01-2018, 10:55 PM   #10

raspivey i have considered those or Airlift helpers, anyone have any experience with one or the other?
Old 02-01-2018, 11:01 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Collins6754 View Post
raspivey i have considered those or Airlift helpers, anyone have any experience with one or the other?

I had auto leveling on mine but it didn’t do much. I wouldn’t worry about air bags. A decent weight distribution hitch takes care of most of it. You’re putting nearly 1000 lbs on the tail though. Passenger tires will tend to squirm a little and make it feel loose. I never went LT tires. Just used XL rated passenger tires pumped up to about 48 psi when towing.
Old 02-02-2018, 10:20 AM   #12

Guys,

I have a 2015 GMC XL Yukon Denali that hauls 5 kids around and am looking to buy an RV....with the 130" wheelbase would towing a 32'4"
Apex 289 TBSS be a problem? I have read some threads that have advised staying under 30'with a half-ton tv. Just wanted to hear from some people that have actually towed with the vehicle.

Do you turn on the vehicle after setting up the w. distribution hitch so the auto leveling can adjust afterwards?

Weight would obviously be a concern with 5 kids, my payload is 1428 lbs..so I would have to pack most everything in the RV.

Thanks
jandg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 10:47 AM   #13

We had the Timbren on the Aspen and have airbags on the 2500 Ram. I like the Timbren better. The problem with The airbags is I get them aired up for towing, then we drop the camper at the campground and I don't want to let some air out because I don't have a good way to air them back up on the road (which often was off road or poor road). I suppose you could spend a bunch and get a compressor as well but seems like the Timbrens did just as good loaded but didn't make it ride like crap unloaded without having to make adjustments. Part of it I'm sure is the Aspen itself rides 5 times better than the 2500 in the first place.
Hersbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 10:49 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by jandg View Post
Guys,

I have a 2015 GMC XL Yukon Denali that hauls 5 kids around and am looking to buy an RV....with the 130" wheelbase would towing a 32'4"
Apex 289 TBSS be a problem? I have read some threads that have advised staying under 30'with a half-ton tv. Just wanted to hear from some people that have actually towed with the vehicle.

Do you turn on the vehicle after setting up the w. distribution hitch so the auto leveling can adjust afterwards?

Weight would obviously be a concern with 5 kids, my payload is 1428 lbs..so I would have to pack most everything in the RV.

Thanks

Without looking at all the numbers, it’s hard to tell. Most of the vehicles now have several tow ratings depending on gearing and other factors. One Yukon may be rated at 8200 and another just like it only 5000. But, if your payload is 1428 and you’re hauling that many people, you WILL be well over payload with a trailer that size. Mine is 32-9 and I’ve got about 900 lbs on the hitch plus the hitch weight. I don’t freak out if I’m 50-100 lbs overloaded on something but, even packing most in the trailer, you could find yourself well into the 1800 lb range real fast.

With that payload and that many people, I would keep my LOADED tongue weight at 650 lbs or less ( witch will look closer to 450-500 lbs dry on paper). That may limit you to around 25’ trailers.
Old 02-02-2018, 10:56 AM   #15

Yes, that's what I was afraid of...payload is going to be my limiting factor. I have also been looking at the Rockwood Roo's- 25'3" box and would obviously be more sleeping space for the kiddo's. This may be a more viable option for a large family.

Thank you for the reply
jandg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 11:41 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hersbird View Post
We had the Timbren on the Aspen and have airbags on the 2500 Ram. I like the Timbren better. The problem with The airbags is I get them aired up for towing, then we drop the camper at the campground and I don't want to let some air out because I don't have a good way to air them back up on the road (which often was off road or poor road). I suppose you could spend a bunch and get a compressor as well but seems like the Timbrens did just as good loaded but didn't make it ride like crap unloaded without having to make adjustments. Part of it I'm sure is the Aspen itself rides 5 times better than the 2500 in the first place.
I use air bags on my truck as well. I picked up a cheap 12 volt compressor from Harbor Freight that plugs into a 12 volt lighter port, it works great for airing the shocks back up. I made an adapter out of an old 7 pin plug that I can plug into the the trailer plug on my truck so its real convenient to plug in the compressor and go.

I've heard of some using bicycle pumps as well.

2016 Clipper 17RD
2011 Silverado
gwolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 11:54 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blender View Post
.. to me youve towed with the k1500, you have experience buddy... ... lotta weight police here that say you can’t pull a pop up with out an f550..
Oh how I agree 1000% on both accounts. GMs in general are pretty soft in the rear and tend to sag, even empty. I would keep an eye out on something to help the rear a bit, but I wouldn't make it a priority.
1953 GMC 9314
1982 GoldWing Interstate
Lins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 01:26 PM   #18

Yukon xl tow vehicle

I have towed with a yukon denali not an xl. The short wheel base was my only prob towing a 33 foot 7000 pound trailer. The denali had the 3:42 rear end 6.2 engine and automatic suspension with trans mission and oil extras. I also towed the same trlr with a 5.3 suburban which is about the same as a standard ykon xl pulled ok but had to add a trans cooler.
Jerheye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 01:37 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwolfe View Post
I use air bags on my truck as well. I picked up a cheap 12 volt compressor from Harbor Freight that plugs into a 12 volt lighter port, it works great for airing the shocks back up. I made an adapter out of an old 7 pin plug that I can plug into the the trailer plug on my truck so its real convenient to plug in the compressor and go.

I've heard of some using bicycle pumps as well.
X2 if you don't want to make a plug you can always buy the coiled extension cord for either your cig lighter or with clamps for battery posts. I have both, they don't cost much at all and the small pump works fast on the air bags.
Having lots of Fun traveling with my wife
old40ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 02:24 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by old40ford View Post
X2 if you don't want to make a plug you can always buy the coiled extension cord for either your cig lighter or with clamps for battery posts. I have both, they don't cost much at all and the small pump works fast on the air bags.

Also the wireless module and pump is not that expensive and it monitors air loss and expansion when temperature changes.. I set it and walk away Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3701.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	379.8 KB
ID:	161485

Tags
tow vehicle