Old 12-31-2013, 11:17 AM   #1

New to me TV!

Out with the old:

In with the new:

Getting the new 5er I knew I would need a bigger truck. Lucked into this thing over the weekend and picked it up this morning. I am going to miss my Chevy a lot, but I think I'll grow to like the new one well enough
I can't wait for the first tow with this one, now I have to order that B&W Companion and I'll be all set.

Old 12-31-2013, 11:37 AM   #2

That's one big azz dually. It's gorgeous and my fav color...black. Now you have to tint the two front windows to match. Best of luck with it!

1986 Marriage to "Wifey" (patience of a saint)
rattleNsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 12:14 PM   #3

Congrats on the new truck. Yep, been there done that. Got new camper and old truck is just not up to pulling the way we want them to...Use only Ford filters for everything, drain fuel separator monthly, add Power Services Diesel Kleen each tank, oil changes at 5k and fuel filters at 10k and drive it like you stole it! Yeah, I know...I don't do that either. But you will be impressed with the power! How's are the axles coming along?

Oh and carry you an extra EGT sensor($38) and a 13mm flare wrench. You will be prepared then!
2001 Ford Excursion Limited 4x4 7.3L,V/B Spring Mod, ProComps, Hellwig Swaybar, & other 'Necessities'
golfmedik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 12:21 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfmedik View Post
Congrats on the new truck. Yep, been there done that. Got new camper and old truck is just not up to pulling the way we want them to...Use only Ford filters for everything, drain fuel separator monthly, add Power Services Diesel Kleen each tank, oil changes at 5k and fuel filters at 10k and drive it like you stole it! Yeah, I know...I don't do that either. But you will be impressed with the power! How's are the axles coming along?

Oh and carry you an extra EGT sensor($38) and a 13mm flare wrench. You will be prepared then!
She's a beaut! !... you WILL love it...

But why the recommendations for the egt and wrench. ...first time I ever even heard that come up between all my ford towing buds?
2012 lacrosse 318bhs touring- sold
ironj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 12:40 PM   #5

The Ford EGT sensors have a habit of going bad and shutting down the truck. GM trucks will go into limp mode when they go bad, but the Fords shut down. I carry a code reader($180 Innova)..(also have one built into my gauge, monitor) and a list of the codes of which sensor it is. Most common one to go bad is number 4, just after the DPF, but all have been known to fail. A 13mm wrench is what it takes to get them out. While you can, Take them loose and put a coating of high temp anti-seize on the threads, and re-install. I've seen and heard some fail under 10k miles, but others have been 150k without a failure. To me, it's where I will be if in fact one does fail. I want to be able to replace it, clear the code and be on my way. Here is link to just one of the many threads over on the Ford-Truck forums that I am a member of. The failures happen in both the 6.4s and the 6.7s. EGT Sensor Failure - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums
2001 Ford Excursion Limited 4x4 7.3L,V/B Spring Mod, ProComps, Hellwig Swaybar, & other 'Necessities'
golfmedik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 12:57 PM   #6

Quote:
The Ford EGT sensors have a habit of going bad and shutting down the truck. GM trucks will go into limp mode when they go bad, but the Fords shut down. I carry a code reader($180 Innova)..(also have one built into my gauge, monitor) and a list of the codes of which sensor it is. Most common one to go bad is number 4, just after the DPF, but all have been known to fail. A 13mm wrench is what it takes to get them out. While you can, Take them loose and put a coating of high temp anti-seize on the threads, and re-install. I've seen and heard some fail under 10k miles, but others have been 150k without a failure. To me, it's where I will be if in fact one does fail. I want to be able to replace it, clear the code and be on my way. Here is link to just one of the many threads over on the Ford-Truck forums that I am a member of. The failures happen in both the 6.4s and the 6.7s. EGT Sensor Failure - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums
Im not on fte but a regular on powerstroke.org and powerstrokenation as well as a cple others....never heard/read much on egt issues other than tuned trucks..there are 5 of them (250,350, and a 450 varieties) in my family's towing stable.....granted the oldest is an 11 with ~47k none have had an egt issue...heck none have had ANY issues that weren't owner created... (I had alignment issue after I lifted) ...we were a pretty split family before but everyone has gravitated to the ford 6.7 platform as of this year. Anyway not to derail the thread, but ill look into the egt link you posted...thanks
2012 lacrosse 318bhs touring- sold
ironj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 01:30 PM   #7
Phat Phrog Stunt Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmsey View Post
Out with the old:

In with the new:

Getting the new 5er I knew I would need a bigger truck. Lucked into this thing over the weekend and picked it up this morning. I am going to miss my Chevy a lot, but I think I'll grow to like the new one well enough
I can't wait for the first tow with this one, now I have to order that B&W Companion and I'll be all set.
Does the new Ford have the factory 5th wheel prep package? If so are you getting the B & W hitch that locks into the four pucks?

mackman1994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 02:10 PM   #8

that ought to do her!

TV- 2015 Ram 2500 CCLB 6.7 Cummins 3.42 gears
Camper - 2015 Saber 322BHTS
avolnek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 05:11 PM   #9

That will make it easier to get it up the hill at Natural Tunnel!!!

Congratulations and hope to see you there again this year. We will be there for May and again in August.
Old 12-31-2013, 11:16 PM   #10

Quote:

Looks like I need to do some reading and get a few things to keep in the truck, thanks for the heads up.
No new info on the axles. Last time the dealer called me they told me everything was set between them and FR. Just waiting to get axles, wheels, and tires at my dealer to be installed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackman1994 View Post
Does the new Ford have the factory 5th wheel prep package? If so are you getting the B & W hitch that locks into the four pucks?
This one does not have the factory prep on it, but does have a B&W gooseneck hitch in it. I will be getting the regular companion that works with that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrykalia View Post
That will make it easier to get it up the hill at Natural Tunnel!!!
Congratulations and hope to see you there again this year. We will be there for May and again in August.
You aren't kidding, that hill is pretty impressive!!
There is a slight chance of us making it back up there in August but not sure we can make it. We really want to get back up there with all of our regular camping group but due to us already having 2 week long trips booked we are running low on time to get away