Old 03-21-2011, 10:10 AM   #1
New to the board, new to TT towing, NERVOUS!

Hi all,

My husband and I are recently moving from my Grandparents 1990 Class C to towing a TT. We just put our down on a beautiful 2011 Salem 26BH, picking it up Thursday, and I am just feeling so nervous about towing it with our Suburban 1500. My husband has ordered the swaybar and brake controller but I just can't envision the full length of the burb and TT. As a lifetime TT/RV camper, he isn't concerned. I grew up with ultra compact pop-up trailers and then our Class C, which is still relatively compact. I guess I am just looking for some reassurance that it won't be impossible to manuever through the packed roads of the SF Bay Area (while trying to escape the packed roads of the SF Bay Area- ha).

Thanks a bunch!

PS If we are bat s%!t crazy, be gentle, please.

Happytrails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 10:32 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus
to the forum !!!

I noticed that you mentioned a sway bar and brake controller, but no mention of a weight distributing system....hope that was just an oversight.

Maneuvering through city traffic is not easy, but it is doable. This ol' boy don't like those situations, but ya just gotta do it sometimes. Think if all of the tractor trailer that have to do that daily. Once out on the open road, it will be a piece of cake.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2006 Ford F150 Super Cab 4x4
2008 Surveyor 263
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 10:42 AM   #3
Just checked in with the husband. I was reading his notes on what he ordered and passed over the "redis" which he confirmed is the weight distribution thingy of which you mentioned .
Happytrails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 11:04 AM   #4
Welcome to the forums and congrats on your new camper!!

Tom and Margaret
2014 Berkshire 390bh-60

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 12:56 PM   #5
Head Rambler
You and he will be fine. A 26BH isn't all that long and when it comes to towing you'll appreciate the extra length of the Burb. If he's a long time RV'er then it'll be a piece of cake to him.
Salem 29RKSS Pushing a 2500 Mega-Cab CTD!
Gotta go campin!
Bama Rambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 01:27 PM   #6
WELCOME to the forum, you will be fine driving in traffic. I would avoid Lombard Street
enjoy the new camper!!

2007 Chevy 2500HD CC
2010 V-Lite 30WRLTS
Nights Camped 2011 -64
Nights Camped 2012 -50
"I Live in My Own World, But It's OK. They Know Me"
tentcamper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 02:35 PM   #7
Moderators' Assistant
Welcome to FRF, from a fellow Bay Area member!

if the specs are what i could find on the web, that'll be a great combo with your Burb.

you should have no problems with going over the Sierras, Cascades or Siskiyous.

by the way, who did you buy from?
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 02:56 PM   #8
Wanna Be Camper
Trust me, it isn't that hard to manouver these things around. We have a 34ft 3in V-Lite and a Dodge Megacab 4x4 which is just under 21ft long so all in 55 ft and while you cannot turn it like a compact car, if you take your time and are always mindful of what you are hauling it is not at all hard. And actually I rather enjoy hauling the trailer.
SaskCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 05:21 PM   #9
My wife and I went from tent camping to a 19 ft surveyor hybrid. Current tow vehicle is a 2008 Honda ridgeline. It still takes several attempts to back it up or put it in the storage space during the week, but confidence is building slowly. we have been camping 7 nights now. It's all good. go as slow as you need to to build up confidence. Have fun!
Steven & Tami
Aurora, CO.
2011 Surveyor SPT-191T
2008 Honda Ridgeline
Camping in 2011 =43
socref01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 08:18 PM   #10

Just picked up my Greywolf 26bh today which I believe is basically the same as yours. Before this the largest thing I towed was a 10 ft utility trailer. The entire day today I got butterflies everytime I thought of towing it. Once I got in and got the brake controller set, it was pretty easy thou I didnt like seeing 7.8 to 8.3 mpg on the onboard computer in my 07 Expedition.

I have a WD hitch but may look at adding a sway bar as I swaaayyyeeed a few times...

Anyways..have fun, go slow and enjoy!

Paul, Marcia, Calyn, and Josie
2 Goldens- Asti and Ryan
1 Sheltie- Jackie B
2007 Expedition
2011 Forest River Greywolf 26BH
sundawg is offline   Reply With Quote