Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-28-2013, 04:26 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canonman View Post
Thanks Bro Les
I just signed up with the Dodge Cummins user forum so we're on the same page there.
The "small" load is tough at times on the ol' 5.4 so I'm looking forward to pulling with something just a bit more capable.
You guys on this forum have spoiled me helping with the RV learning curve. DW thinks it's all the forum's fault for getting me itchin' to upgrade the 03. Now it's the Dodge Cummins crew's turn to to help my learning curve with the diesel upgrade. who knows what she'll blame them for.
Haven't actually taken the Dodge home yet so haven't been able to peruse the owners manual. Hoping to hook everything up and head out for a quick shakedown cruise this weekend. Some quiet late fall camping and a little light reading

Start your Mod list...... The Brothers in these Smoker Forums Love to spend each others money on mods...... One brother says, he does not pull out is wallet to work on his truck....he has to pull out is Buck$Zooka cannon.

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 04:30 PM   #22

I had a 30 foot pull behind that I pulled with an F-150, 5.4 gasser. It strained sometimes and the transmission had to do a lot of shifting. When we decided on a 5er, I bought the F-350 dually first. So, I pulled the 30 footer with the F-350 a few times. What a difference! You will be amazed at what a diesel can do. Now that I have 16,000 pounds of 5er, I'm still amazed! Congrats on joining the oil burner club!

2012 Cedar Creek 36CKTS Touring Edition
2015 Ford F-350 CC DRW Lariat
Joe_GA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 04:30 PM   #23

Well here's the good news. The ol boy who owned it never towed with it. Just him and his little white dog. Only 29k on the odometer. It may need a little "break in" time
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 04:32 PM   #24

I had the same problem with DW and the 2013 Ram Truck 6.7 Cummins HP Transmission dually. Traded in my Lincoln MKZ for it. She thought it was an overkill until I traded in my 19' Gulfstream Visa trailer for a Prime Time 39' Sanibel. She hasn't complained about the truck since.
BBBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 04:35 PM   #25

You guys are "sick!" but I like the part about the "buck-zooka"
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 04:36 PM   #26
phat phrog stunt crew

And I have been told more once to never,repeat never, run out of Diesel fuel - it's an expensive process to get it corrected.

no, it is NOT expensive to restart a diesel that you let run out of fuel. it IS however TIME CONSUMING. there is a little bleeder valve on top of the fuel filter that you have to pump pump pump pump (whew, my finger is getting tired) pump pump pump some more. keep pumping until you get fuel and not air. usually best to pull the filter off and prefill (a new filter since you have the old one off). that will save some effort but not all.
dwaynerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 05:06 PM   #27

Last summer down in Myrtle Beach, I was refueling at a BP station when a couple with a brandy new F350 Lariat diesel pulls up to my adjoining pump and looks totally confused. Now she is trying to get the fuel nozzle to pump when I kindly informed her that the station needed pre-payment for diesel before turning the pump on. Well, I'm pumping away watching her walk in and then right back out impatient for the long line inside with a real slow clerk. He pulls forward to the GAS pumps and she puts her credit card in the pump and begins to activate it. I yelled over to her..."Lady that's a GAS pump you're going to use". She had no clue. Seriously, none at all. All she knew was THAT pump had a credit card slot so she was hell bent to fill'er up. I told her she had best not try to burn gasoline and her Husband chimed in that the truck was new and they were not used to it. I just shook my head. Fast forward to today and I see an Audi TDI commercial that reminds me so much of that potential disaster. I wonder just how far down the road they would have gotten before melting a brand new 6.7L diesel....
1986 Marriage to "Wifey" (patience of a saint)
rattleNsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 05:14 PM   #28
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by rattleNsmoke View Post
Last summer down in Myrtle Beach, I was refueling at a BP station when a couple with a brandy new F350 Lariat diesel pulls up to my adjoining pump and looks totally confused. Now she is trying to get the fuel nozzle to pump when I kindly informed her that the station needed pre-payment for diesel before turning the pump on. Well, I'm pumping away watching her walk in and then right back out impatient for the long line inside with a real slow clerk. He pulls forward to the GAS pumps and she puts her credit card in the pump and begins to activate it. I yelled over to her..."Lady that's a GAS pump you're going to use". She had no clue. Seriously, none at all. All she knew was THAT pump had a credit card slot so she was hell bent to fill'er up. I told her she had best not try to burn gasoline and her Husband chimed in that the truck was new and they were not used to it. I just shook my head. Fast forward to today and I see an Audi TDI commercial that reminds me so much of that potential disaster. I wonder just how far down the road they would have gotten before melting a brand new 6.7L diesel....
I see that Audi commercial also - gets the point across.

I forgot, but aren't the diesel nozzles a different size than the gas nozzles?

But you did that couple a big favor by telling them what you did.
B47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 05:18 PM   #29
phat phrog stunt crew

they wouldnt have made it very far at all as it probably would have given them problems before getting out of the parking lot.
dwaynerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 05:19 PM   #30

my bil loaned his truck to the daughters bf to help her move home from college....its (was) a diesel...he put gas....insurance coverd it but his premium is ridiculous now.....on the new fords all you gotta do is keep turning the key to reprime the system...but running that low Is just a bad idea all around...the fuel cools the pump...
2012 lacrosse 318bhs touring- sold
ironj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 05:39 PM   #31

I have the same engine in my 3500 Ram and it has been awesome. If you do a lot of in town driving make sure you put your foot into it occasionally to clean out the gunk... Or you will get a check engine light. If you idle it to warm the diesel up put the cruise control on and hit set. That will raise the RPM which will help avoid the build up. Our MPG started increasing about the 50K mark. Having the engine break and tow haul is awesome for towing and a lot safer going down the mountains. Enjoy it!
chiefly1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 06:08 PM   #32
Denver, CO

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwaynerz View Post
And I have been told more once to never,repeat never, run out of Diesel fuel - it's an expensive process to get it corrected. no, it is NOT expensive to restart a diesel that you let run out of fuel. it IS however TIME CONSUMING. there is a little bleeder valve on top of the fuel filter that you have to pump pump pump pump (whew, my finger is getting tired) pump pump pump some more. keep pumping until you get fuel and not air. usually best to pull the filter off and prefill (a new filter since you have the old one off). that will save some effort but not all.
X2
Old 10-28-2013, 06:36 PM   #33

Keep a hard eye on the cooling system, and air filter.
Old 10-28-2013, 06:54 PM   #34

Canonman, I have the 6.7 in a 2011 Ram. You are going to love your ride! I sold a Ford 7.3 to buy the Ram. I thought I had the most perfect towing rig available, until I pulled the first time with the Cummins.

I agree with keeping the fuel filter changed. I change mine at every oil change (5,000 - 6,000 miles). I know it is over kill, but it's my money and that is how I chose to spend it.

If you have a Fleetpride ("Auto Zone" for diesels) in your area, a filter is only about $20, not $90 like the dealership. Never had any problems with Fleetpride merchandise and it is all I have used since switching to diesel several years ago.

Do drain your fuel filter bowl with each fuel filter change. If your truck has the auto start/bump to start system, do not let it crank but a few seconds before you turn the key back off - after you have drained the fuel filter bowl. The system will keep cranking the truck until it starts. You could damage the starter. I let mine crank about 10 seconds each time. Takes about 3 cycles to auto prime the system and get the truck to fire again.

Change the belt and keep a spare. You never want to take a chance on overheating a diesel engine.

Our local Ram dealership runs specials on oil changes all the time. They sell a bundle of 4 changes for $180. You can't hardly beat $45 oil changes, even if you do have to prepay for them.
Old 10-28-2013, 07:49 PM   #35
Oklahoma Proud

Hey guys most diesels dont have pumps in the tank so more the fuel in the tank wont cool anything important in there. Also some have fuel coolers ( like a little radiator) in front of fuel tank.

-as mentioned it helps to pre fill fuel filters before installing- not sure how they are on the cummins. On fords that is not possible (or necessary) on the 7.3 or 6.0- dont remember on the others. On Dmax it helps to pre fill. Then a couple pumps with the bleeder open and your good.

- ive only run equipment and d-maxes out of fuel. Equipment you crack the line on injector pump and then on injectors.
- on trucks they are pretty simple, the longest part is waiting on someone to bring you fuel. Key thing- dont crank it, get the fuel in the tank, open bleeder, cycle key (to run pump) several times with some time to run pump with key on, watch for fuel to come out of bleeder, or you can pump too. Close, when non - bubbling fuel comes out, now its time to crank, after letting pump pressure the system (key on about 5-10 seconds). You should be able to do this in about 15 min, if you dont crank it before adding fuel or bleeding system and run the batt.s down doing so.
I do my fuel, air and spin on tranny filter, every year which is about 5-6 k for me, sometimes twice a year on air- we live in the country.
Have fun towing with the diesel!!
MillerTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 08:04 PM   #36

Keeping good fuel in the tank is key. Keeping the tank from going too low helps with several things as has been said, 1 it keeps the condensation down, 2 the fuel system returns unused fuel to the tank. Less fuel in the tank converts to hotter fuel, hotter fuel returns to lower power. Good additive year round is beneficial.
Scott Colegrove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 08:37 PM   #37

I am a field mechanic for Az DOT and had a feller run his 2013 Chevy Duramax diesel out of fuel down on I-10. Had a B double bear of a time getting the lines purged and fuel all the way up the system before it would start.

WIX filters are about the best around. They also make the NAPA filters.
The oil filter is easier to change if you remove the big rubber air intake from the turbo first. Changing and priming the fuel filter is best left to the experts like myself.
Blackrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 08:47 PM   #38
Oklahoma Proud

We always advise people to run OE filters, and not to tune your diesels.
We see lots of issues from those that dont comply. But to each thier own.
MillerTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 08:54 PM   #39

Yep, with Fords from '08 and up, use only Motorcraft filters and NEVER NEVER let a 6.4 run out of fuel. It will not crank by simply cranking it over. You have to have a special tool to remove the air.
The others should be able to be started after running out of fuel, it's just a long process that should have been avoided!
2001 Ford Excursion Limited 4x4 7.3L,V/B Spring Mod, ProComps, Hellwig Swaybar, & other 'Necessities'
golfmedik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 09:51 PM   #40
Camper Less Camping

Congrats OP for coming to the dark side

Just be diligent with your maintenance & you'll be fine...enjoy the comfortable, new found power!
BTW...I love my professionally tuned DMAX, nothing liking hauling the fifth wheel one weekend & driving like I own a corvette the next ,)

Tags
diesel