Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-21-2015, 03:53 PM   #1

New to towing anything

I am about to purchase a Rockwood Mini Lite 1901 (20 ft) TT. I will be towing with a Toyota Tacoma 4x4 with a towing pkg. From a much bigger previous trailer I have trunnion weight distribution bars and a sway bar.

I have driven pulling a trailer before, but my husband always did all the backing. Before I take delivery on the TT, I plan on hooking up to a 15' enclosed utility trailer to practice backing and maneuvering. I know the basic concepts of steering so I know I just need to practice but I thought I'd ask if there is anything that I need to know that a newbie is not likely to think about. What is most likely to get me into trouble? On my way home from picking up the TT, I plan to find a big empty parking lot to do a little practice too. Luckily, once I get home I have a fairly big area to turn around and back into.

We watched many people in campgrounds having a heck of a time maneuvering their rigs. I REALLY don't want to look like a complete rookie the first time I back in to a campsite! Thanks!
Terrib972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 04:03 PM   #2

hand on bottom of steering wheel, move hand in direction you want trailer to go. And practice, practice, practice.
davel1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 04:03 PM   #3

Learn to use your mirrors and not turning around. Your wife is there only to
tell when to stop or when you're going to hit something...

Get your hand signals coordinate with wife.
robbdrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 04:07 PM   #4

....and arrive early at camp site when you may more options of sites, probably less people watching, less stress, and never try to do it (backing) in the dark.....
Old 02-21-2015, 04:08 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbdrell View Post
Learn to use your mirrors and not turning around. Your wife is there only to
tell when to stop or when you're going to hit something...

Get your hand signals coordinate with wife.
She (Terrib972) is the wife...

What is most likely to get me into trouble?

Backing up too fast and listening to too many people around you, take your time....

Yamaha 3000iseb generator:Progressive Ind. EMS-HW30C : Eastern Ontario
Nights Camped: 2014 (18) 2015 (18) 2016 (36) 2017 (32) 2018 (42) 2019 (28) 2020 (35)
fonzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 05:00 PM   #6

There is a You Tube video about the "scoop" method of backing into a site. You might want to watch that. Seems to make sense. Welcome to the forum from another Mini Lite owner! Actually You Tube has a number of videos on backing up.
GlacierGus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 05:00 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

I LOVE my Tundra but even though I have the towing mirrors, I have quite a large blind spot so put a couple of those small, round fish-eye mirrors to help with that.

I'm (Rick) the driver so my navigator (Karen) will get out and stand on the side that I cannot see (because the trailer is turning) and we'll call each other on our cell phones and I'll have it on the speaker in the truck while she guides me and ensures I don't hit anything! (I tried to teach her the standard hand signals we used in the military but she is more of a verbal person...she'd never make it on an aircraft carrier!!) :-)

Practice practice....it takes lots so you know where to actually start the turn and it varies based on how much of an angle you need and whether it's on the right or left side. (I always get out of the truck to line myself up because I know where my back truck wheels need to be...after much trial and error!!)

Get a couple of orange cones and go to an empty parking lot and practice backing up...then try to get rent pull-throughs at RV parks!!!
8-year Travel Trailer RVers
2013 Forest River Rockwood Ultra-Lite 2904SS
2014 Toyota Tundra Maxcrew SR-5 TRD 4x4 (with Firestone airbags in the rear)
ColoradoRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 05:01 PM   #8

Before you start to back in do a walk around the site to see if something is sticking out or in your way and make sure you look up. There have been a couple of times I have told people to stop because a branch was hitting the roof. If you are doing it yourself it sometimes helps to put a rock or something we're you want the tire to be this can save you having to get in and out of the tv to check your position. Mostly like others have said take your time.

Current: 2019 Sunseeker 2290S
Previous (2012-2016): 2012 Vibe 6501
1 Prospector Canoe, 2 Mtn. Bikes & 4 Hiking Boots
Happy Vibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 05:03 PM   #9

Woops. Sorry. Use the GOAL method. (Get out and look) as many times as necessary.
Old 02-21-2015, 05:11 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Oh, and from MY personal experience, I've hits thing more going forward than backwards...you really have to watch those turns!!
8-year Travel Trailer RVers
2013 Forest River Rockwood Ultra-Lite 2904SS
2014 Toyota Tundra Maxcrew SR-5 TRD 4x4 (with Firestone airbags in the rear)
ColoradoRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 05:27 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoRick View Post
Oh, and from MY personal experience, I've hits thing more going forward than backwards...you really have to watch those turns!!
LOL. Yes, other fear - gas stations. At least I'll have a relatively small rig. My husband and I used to travel with a 28' TT pulled by a 4 door Dodge dually. But he'd been pulling trailers all his life and could go just about anywhere.

Thanks everyone for your replies. I should have mentioned that now it's just me and the cat and she won't be much help. I'm mostly worried about jackknifing and tearing something up. I am at least used to using my side mirrors for driving and I do have a backup camera on the truck which will make it easier to line up for hooking up the trailer.

I should have thought of Youtube. I've used that frequently since my husband died for everything from replacing my car filter to wiring a new thermostat! I will definitely go search that out.
Old 02-21-2015, 05:31 PM   #12

And finally...

I struggled with backing but I finally got it. I learned that with a shorter trailer it is more difficult than a longer one. But what made a Significant difference was getting an experienced RVer to help me in an empty parking lot. What he said is to be sure before I started backing that all my wheels ( RV and truck) were straight in a line. So when you start to back up as slow as possible turns are really slight, either left or right by using hand at bottom of wheel like mentioned, and the using mirrors. Backing really, really slow and making really small turning adjustments helped a lot.
Old 02-21-2015, 05:31 PM   #13
Mod free 5er

Another word of caution is to not only look around the entire rig for obstructions, but to look UP to see if there is anything above the rig. Tree limbs and roofs, vents, ac's, antennas, etc. don't play well together.
Old 02-22-2015, 08:35 AM   #14

Thanks again everyone for all the responses. The video Fonzie posted and the tip on the "scoop" from GlacierGus were most helpful. Now I've watched a bunch of Youtube and will get out and practice.

I'm still learning how to use this forum. I noticed "thanks" buttons on posts yesterday but now they are gone. I guess quick thanks are required!
Old 02-22-2015, 09:24 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbdrell View Post
And finally...

I struggled with backing but I finally got it. I learned that with a shorter trailer it is more difficult than a longer one. But what made a Significant difference was getting an experienced RVer to help me in an empty parking lot. What he said is to be sure before I started backing that all my wheels ( RV and truck) were straight in a line. So when you start to back up as slow as possible turns are really slight, either left or right by using hand at bottom of wheel like mentioned, and the using mirrors. Backing really, really slow and making really small turning adjustments helped a lot.
He gave very good advice,also USE your Turn signals,lots of people Wont/Don't use them while just Driving! Thanks and good Camping! Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 04:27 PM   #16

If you find yourself at a site that is tight, and need a spotter, ask at the office, or ask a neighbor to help "spot" you in. The camping community is a very helpful one, and you should have no issue getting some help. Roll down your windows on your tow vehicle, I see a lot of people relying on hand signs and not able to hear their spotter. Stop and get out and look if you need to, I do it all the time to size up the site, I usually am solo myself while backing in.
Uncle Spike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 01:57 PM   #17

Not all problems are at ground level. Be sure to look up and at the top edge of the trailer especially when in a campground.

Good luck and safe driving.

2004 Ford F550 6l Lariat SuperCrew, Fontaine Bed,
Link Systems Air Ride
2011 Sterling 32RL with Michelin XPS tires
extremebike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 02:22 PM   #18

I've had my current camper for 1 full year now. Prior to that we had a pop up for 1 year. I still look like an idiot trying to back in to a camp site. Don't worry about what others think. If nothing else I feel I am providing a little entertainment for everyone.

I had more problems getting out of a difficult site then getting into one. The first trip last year with the current camper I almost ripped off the awning rubbing it against a tree and blew a tire running over a tree stump. It was a very tight spot.
Old 03-09-2015, 02:40 PM   #19

Just remember...Nobody is born with the knowledge of backing up. We all needed to learn. You just have to power through the process of learning.

If the site is too tight, I ask for help from the office. There is generally a staff guy that can thread a needle.

Vin.

2015 HW296
2006 HW256 (previous pup)
2013 Chevy Tahoe
Equalizer WDH 10000#
vinmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 08:41 PM   #20

We use cell phones for backing into sites. She tries really hard but hand signals are backwards in the mirror and she's never standing in the right spot so I can see her. I just call her on the hands free and she stands to the side and tells me when I'm about to destroy something. Works great and no arguments.
2018 F250 Lariat (ok but I miss my F150)

Getting old ain't for wimps!!!
Stormrider151 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
towing