Old 01-05-2016, 02:49 PM   #21
Learning a lot as I go...
No reason at all why a woman could not handle an F150 and TT solo. The F150 is, aside from adjusting to size and visual perspective, easy peasy to drive.

I have a 2014 F150 I tow a 30' TT with and the ecoboost 3.5 is amazing. You won't get great gas mileage while towing but it can pull the goods.

If you get a backup camera hitching up will be a breeze. I have added a yellow tape cross on top of my hitch for contrast and using the F150 backup camera can nail it spot on in a single try.

Electric tongue lift and electric stabilizers on the TT will reduce physical effort there and TT leveling is no more complicated than leveling a MH.

It sounds like you are self-limiting on TT size to something the F150 could handle with ease so I would say go for it.

stevejahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 02:57 PM   #22
Site Team
Originally Posted by Kels4g View Post
We tow our TT with a Chevy Silverado 1500 so it is possible.

To consider:
The bars and hitch that you use to tow can be/get heavy. Are you able to lift them safely and while in an awkward position (squatting)?

Also, it is much easier to back up a motorhome and a towed than it is to back up a truck TT because the towed vehicle would be unhooked and there's no point of pivot. Also, the length of a truck/TT is much longer than a similarly sized motorhome.
Good point. I have a bad back and found inserting the bars impossible to do myself. Just trying to do did me in and was one of the reasons I considered selling my TT the very first day I took delivery. It was important that I be independent because quite frankly I could not depend upon help form others. Being independent = freedom.

The next morning I started searching for place temporary that would assist with hitching & unhitching. Then my neighbor showed me how to insert a stubby screwdriver to open the brackets. Now I have no problems inserting or removing the bars. I also use a thick rug to kneel on for hitching and for setting up camp tasks. It beats kneeling directly on rocks, pebbles or hot pavement.

I am so glad I didn't sell my trailer. Where there's a will there's a way. With practice comes experience & skill. In the meantime often there are tricks & tips to be shared.

Learn as much as you can about truck payload. There's more to it than just the camper numbers.

Backup camera is worth the investment.

Great choice for "Living within my means" and camping for one...

2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Camping History: 45 Trips / 133 Nights / 3736 Miles
FRF Social Group: Campers of the West
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 03:03 PM   #23
Send a message via Skype™ to pontiacdan45
Go For it

I bought my first camping vehicle in 2014. A fifth wheel and a 3/4 ton truck to pull it.

Then the learning started. At my age (70) I was intimidated by the learning curve but within a few months so much became clearer. We bought the 5th wheel for just the reason you mentioned. We wanted to explore, not just camp.

This forum is great for helping and there is a vast data base herein that can help.

If you read and study the material that comes with the TT you will feel more confidant. Then ask anyone at the camp questions and they will be happy to help you.

I owe the small amount of confidence I have to this forum and talking to other owners.

Good luck and enjoy.

Dan and Deb

2015 Rockwood Signature Ultra-Lite 8289 ws
2015 GMC Crew Cab 2500HD Gas:
pontiacdan45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 03:15 PM   #24
I agree with everyone else in that you can do it. My concern is the economics to making a complete switch after one year. It seems that the hit you will be taking on trades could easily cover the cost of a toad.

If you are completely dissatisfied with the MH, then maybe a switch is in order. However, I am with AquaMan on the Ford backup assist. I would not consider using the Ford back-up assist to back a TT. But I would strongly suggest the in-dash integrated brake controller. That feature was love at first sight and it has proven its worth towing.
PenJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 03:42 PM   #25
stick with the motorhome

Over the years we have had several travel trailers in different sizes, from 19 feet to 29 feet, and a fifth wheel that was 35 feet. We now have a 31 foot class C motorhome and I would never go back to anything else. For one thing the set up on the trailers and 5vr were killing me, Hooking up the stabilizer bars were murder on my already bad back and same was true climbing over pickup to connect the fifth wheel. If I was still young and very flexible might not be an issue. Also, I find backing the motorhome far easier than a trailer. When we go to Cal. to visit family, there are very cheap car rentals so we dont have to tow our Jeep. There is something for everyone check out all the variables before you decide.
OKpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 05:33 PM   #26
I just switched from a truck trailer to a motorhome and either utility trailer, toad or no tow. (I carry a motorcycle on the back sometimes)
I love the versatility of the motorhome.
There may be times you don't want to tow
With a truck/trailer you are always towing...and always unhooking to drive around.
Towing a small toad behind a motorhome- you almost don't feel it- except for the loss in accelleration and braking from the added weight.
A good (but expensive) toad towbar setup is simple to operate- unhooking can be a breeze with the right unit.
Good luck on the choice- I would opt for the small toad behind the motorhome.

(and I love seeing the single women out there- you got game girl !)
"If you are going through hell..keep going"
W. Churchill
Total Loss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 06:19 PM   #27
For some of the above mentioned reasons we moved from a 4x4 F250 diesel and fifth when to a small motorhome a couple of years ago. Although we could tow our suv we prefer to just call Enterprise and rent their cheapest sub compact when we want to tour. They come right to the campground to pick you up. Way less hassle than towing something. Works for us.

Phil, Heather & Olaf the Boxer
Ontario Canada
Lexington 283GTS
nights camped 2015-89
2016 - 31
oldsmasma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 07:52 PM   #28
Get a power tongue jack that lifts as high as possible. That makes setting the bars very easy. An Equalizer (tm) WD anti sway hitch and good to go. The receiver is heavy but once in it never needs removed.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 08:04 PM   #29
My son has a 2015 F 150 that I drive frequently - through Downtown Atlanta no less. I am inspired by all your encouragement. I looked into the rental car route and too many places did not have rentals available. I definitely do not want to have to tow a toad with the "one person" hook up and unhook requirements. Any travel trailer that I purchase will be new and will have every electronic operation available to woman kind. Looking forward to meeting more of you while on the road. Camper travelers are wonderful people! Thank you all again for your advice.
Hannah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 08:09 PM   #30
Almost every campground will have someone available to help you set up or prepare to leave if you ask. Almost every one has needed help at one time or another and is willing to help another camper. Go for it!

CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote