Old 01-03-2010, 12:39 PM   #1

new to us trailer dragging

We just picked up our 2004 surveyor sv 291 (see pic) and pulled it home pulled fine but in town the back end drug in every dip. Managed to tear the v shaped drag guard and bent the bottom pad on the stabilizer. We are using a chain link style stabilizer hitch. The trailer is 4" higher in the front than the back. Any and all suggestions would be appreciated.
Attached Images

Old 01-03-2010, 02:21 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

You need to drop the height of the ball relative to the hitch receiver by 2 inches. That should bring the trailer close to level when hooked up.

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 05:03 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by noplacetosail View Post
We just picked up our 2004 surveyor sv 291 (see pic) and pulled it home pulled fine but in town the back end drug in every dip. Managed to tear the v shaped drag guard and bent the bottom pad on the stabilizer. We are using a chain link style stabilizer hitch. The trailer is 4" higher in the front than the back. Any and all suggestions would be appreciated.
You need to find a good reputable RV shop to set up your tow vehicle and trailer properly before you go anywhere else. Please find some help.
Old 01-03-2010, 08:27 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by noplacetosail View Post
Question or two or three, who set up your hitch work, if you didn't do It did the place where you pick up your camper do It and If they did It, did they exlpain what type of hitch you have and how It works? What type of tow vehicle are you towing with?
Old 01-03-2010, 09:42 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Well to begin with, don't be in a hurry to make changes until you know what to change and why. Others have said lower hitch. Don't do that yet. You brought the trailer home empty. That's the last time you will pull it that way. Go and load your stuff, water included if you plan on towing that way, and then measure front height and rear height, and report back the difference. Also report your hitch type and what number chain link you're connected to. A loaded trailer will be different, and you may not need any changes. Also if you do put water in the tank, make sure you drain it so it doesn't freeze. Also what are you towing with? I couldn't get the pics to open in your original post. Your problem is fixable, probably just adjustments, but take time to make them once and properly, and you'll have a much better time oit on your first trip. Happy New Year.
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 08:07 AM   #6
Head Rambler

We're here to help and once you answer Rockwood06's question or two or three we'll be more than glad to help you out.

At first jerk the fact that your RV is 4" out of level is the problem. It should be level to slightly nose down when hooked up ready to tow (provided of course, you're on a level surface).
Old 01-04-2010, 02:26 PM   #7

More specifics

I see my question was left lacking details!

My pull vehicle is a 2004 yukon with air level ride

Here is the hitch type

http://www.campingworld.com/shopping...g-hitches/7370

They had me leave two links free above the latch point. (gave me no directions on how to use this unit)

The trailer is loaded as it will always be loaded

Is it supposed to be level ? slightly tongue down?

I have a shop and am installing large heavy duty casters directly behind the dropped tank drains approx 2 inches below them.
Old 01-04-2010, 03:30 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Just a couple quick notes here.

If that is the exact hitch that you linked to, then it shows 2 models....1 for a 750 lb. tongue weight, and 1 for 1000 lb. tongue weight. I imagine with the Sv 291 you probably need the 1000 lb. unit. The bars should be marked with the weights.

There is no intrigated sway control with the unit listed. Do you have some type of sway control ??? That is a pretty big trailer for a friction sway control system if that is what you have.

If that is not the exact hitch you are using, see if you can show us what you are using. Since you apparently bought a used unit (2004), then see if it has a brand name on it, or attach a photo of the hitch setup.

I am unfamiliar with the Yukon air ride system. You might need to read up on that and figure if that should be used when pulling a trailer.

Once you get that figured out, you will probably need to lower the ball at least 1 set of holes to level out your trailer. The link of the WDH that you are using shows an adjustable hitch set up. You need to have the trailer as level a practible going down the road. That should solve most of your tail dragging problems.

Stay tuned to the forum. The members here are very knowledgeable, and will get you towing safely with a little tweaking of your system.

BTW, the photo of yoour SV 291 isn't very big, but by what I can see, it looks like a great unit. Congratulations.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 05:38 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

To add to what 'mtnguy' already said, the SV291 is a long trailer for the relatively short-wheelbase Yukon. You ready need a good weight distribution hitch with sway control such as Equal-i-zer or Reese dual cam.

You want the trailer to be level or slightly nose down when hitched, loaded, ready to camp. You may have to lower the ball to achieve this.

You should also check with your GM dealer whether you should use the Yukon air auto-levelling system with the WD hitch. I believe that you have to shut it off, certaining when your trying to set up the weight distribution and # of links or bar height. The auto system always levels the vehicle...it would be hard to see if you're transferring tongue weight to the front axle.

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 06:12 PM   #10
Grape Escape

Hi Dave and No place to sail,
We had the autoride suspension on our Tahoe and we were unsure how to use it at first.
Always left it on as there was no easy way to disable it and had no problems as long as we had enough tension on the bars in regards to sway with Reese dual cam. Only sway we ever encountered was from strong cross winds. Can't believe they sold him that hitch style in the first place. As you said Reese dual cam or Equalizer brand only wat to go other than Hensley if you have money to burn

44 for 2011, 38 for 2012, 35 for 2013, 51 for 2014
dezolen is offline   Reply With Quote