Old 02-08-2015, 07:14 AM   #1
New to WD Hitches

Hi all! I've got about 7 weeks or so until we take possession of our '15 Shasta Oasis 25BH. When we do, we'll need a weight distribution hitch with sway control, as both trailers we've had to date have been 16' long and have weighed 1600 and 2500 lbs.

I'm still gathering info on various brands of WDHs, but I want to focus in on specs I should be comfortable with when finally deciding on which brand I go with. Here's what I've gathered from specs from a 25BH I've found:
Tongue weight (from the Shasta brochure): 530lbs (I'm going with just 1 propane tank)
UVW: 4400lbs
GVWR: 7500lbs
Note: We camp light! The gear we bring along will easily be less than 300lbs

Tow vehicle: 2003 Toyota Sequoia
Payload: 1400-some lbs
Tow capacity: 6200lbs

This is what we're working with. Just looking for a little guidance on the minimum specs on the WDH and not necessarily brand. One stipulation is that I DO NOT want a WDH that I need to remove the sway control to back up. Other than that, all thoughts are appreciated!

Pat B.
Speedway, IN
2016 Shasta Oasis 18BH
roadmaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 07:33 AM   #2
Do a Search on here about (W/D hitches) there is Plenty of reading. You will find Most of the (Major W/D hitches with built IN S/C) do NOT require Removal for backing! Most add on (2 Ball mounted squeeze between friction pad type sway control bars) they recommend to Remove before backing,BUT not all? Youroo!! Welcome,and hope to see you at the (Tadpole Rally) in Indiana!

youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 08:12 AM   #3
Consider the Andersen Hitch. For years we had a Reese WD hitch with sway bars. Three years ago we bought a new toyhauler and I decided to try the Andersen Hitch. In my opinion it is far ahead in all respects. Before we bought it we read as many reviews from individuals as we could find and never found anyone that wasn't happy. We have towed over 10,000 miles now and I could not be happier with our choice. Here is a link to their hitch, I hope this helps you.
comfun1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 09:12 AM   #4
As with everything price is a deciciding factor. I have used a round and trunnion bar system with friction sway control arms. I am currently using the Equalizer 4pt system on my TT and am very satisfied. I am not required to remove my bars when backing up and is a very simple hookup. Do you have an electric tongue jack? Those can be very handy when hitching up your TT with a w/d hitch system. Looking at your numbers you should be at the 8k rating.
2013 Salem 30KQBSS TT
Equalizer 4pt Hitch system-12K
2016 Ram 1500 Crew Cab Sport 5.7 Hemi w/8 Speed
Great Laker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 09:12 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus
Originally Posted by Happy Vibe View Post
Who said he is towing with a Sienna? He is towing with a sequoia, a full size SUV. If your going to be the weight police at least get the TV right first.
Sorry about that, I misread about the tow vehicle. I deleted my post.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2006 Ford F150 Super Cab 4x4
2008 Surveyor 263
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 09:21 AM   #6
Originally Posted by MtnGuy View Post
Sorry about that, I misread about the tow vehicle. I deleted my post.
No worries! I have had some reservations about the wheel base of the Sequoia (118") and towing a 28'11" trailer. However, I've been on a Tundra/Sequoia forum where guys tow longer trailers with a Sequoia with no problems. If we find an issue in handling, we'll probably track down a used Suburban with a longer wheel base.
Pat B.
Speedway, IN
2016 Shasta Oasis 18BH
roadmaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 11:30 AM   #7
I have the Camco Eaz-lift Trekker. Works great on my Windjammer. Comes in three different weights. Check it out. When I traded up to the Windjammer I need different trailer mounting brackets. They sent them to me at no charge.

MK Clark
2014 Silverado
2015 2819VS Windjammer.
MKClark is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 03:48 PM   #8
I would suggest you look at Pro-Pride. I just order a new unit for my 32' Rockwood. My other Travel Trailer was a 26' Flagstaff with a Hensley , both use the same design but the Pro-Pride has some new improved features.
mcrib2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 04:06 PM   #9
We use to have the Andersen with our 8315BSS. It worked flawlessly. Easy to install, easy to set up and take down, no clunking, banging or any other noises coming from it. It was light weight and very convenient.

Richard & Diane
2014 Cedar Creek 38FL
With a F350 dually
2014 41 nights and 4620km.......and we're done

Richard & Diane
2014 Cedar Creek 38FL
2016 F350 Lariat CC DRW
Retired Metropolitan Police (UK)
Hutch333id is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 05:05 PM   #10
I have only used one and that is the equal i zer. I just got it but it towed great and backing was almost as if it wasn't there. An electric tongue jack is almost mandatory due to setting the torsion bars.

2015 Forest River EVO 2850
2012 Dodge Ram 2500 6.7 Cummins
Yamaha 2k x 2 with parallel cable
EMS 30 PI portable w/ Edison plug

Nights Camped (2016-13) (2015-13)
SuicideSaints is offline   Reply With Quote