Old 08-15-2016, 06:56 PM   #1

New tow vehicle - 2016 Silverado 1500

Hello fellow travelers. I just got a new vehicle and would like to know what I can safely pull. I have been through the threads, have been to calculation sites but I must admit I find it all a bit confusing as I don't have all the information I need to plug into the calculators.

My new tow vehicle- 2016 Silverado 1500 5.3L Z71 (HD Suspension) with tow package, tranny cooler, weight distribution hitch (Trunnion)

First question : What is Maximum Conventional Towing Weight from my manual? I surmise that includes 1: dry weight of trailer. 2: weight of water. 3: weight of all camping equipment packed in truck and trailer. (approximately 500 lb) 4: Weight of passengers (~ 600 lb.)
5: Weight of fuel in the truck. 21.6 Gallons (what does that weigh?)

Second Question : Regarding tongue weight - (10-15% of total loaded trailer weight up to 1200 lb.) I surmise that this is a matter of how I distribute the weight of my load.

These are the specs that I know.

Max Conventional Towing 9,100 lb.
GVWR 7,200 lb.
GCWR 9,200 lb.
Max loaded trailer weight 9,200 lb.
Max tongue weight 10-15% of total loaded trailer weight up to 1,200 lb.
Max Payload 1730 lb.
Fuel 21.6 GAL (how much does that weigh?)
GVW - unknown
Rear gross axle weight -unknown
Front axle weight - unknown

I guess bottom line is what can I safely tow? Any thoughts or recommendations are welcome

Thanks in advance to all who reply. I realize that this community is awesome in it's commitment to helping fellow travelers.

Happy Trails to you all

Norm & Family in Ontario

Nammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 08:33 PM   #2

Gasoline weights approx. 6.3 lbs but can vary slightly due to temps, but not enough to worry about.

Have to ask, don't you have a 26 gallon tank? I do on my '15 Silverado, but maybe they changed it in the '16 model year.

Also, unless they changed it from model years, Z71 is not a HD package but a sport/off-road package that gives you:
  • Rancho Brand Shocks
  • Hill Descent Control
  • Underbody Transfer Case Shield
  • Recovery Hooks
  • High Capacity Air Cleaner
  • Eaton Heavy-Duty Automatic Locking Rear Differential
  • Brushed Metal Sill Plates
  • 18” or 20” Wheels
  • All-terrain Tires

And GM on mine lied about the tires being AT from the factory. They had Goodyear SR-A tires that were about as close to being AT as a set of racing slicks. I complained directly to GM and two weeks later the dealer installed a new set of Goodyear Kevlar (actual) AT Tires.

Also, make sure to get the max load off the sticker inside the driver's door on the B-pillar. That sticker is particular to your vehicle. For example a LT might have a higher load rating than an LTZ due to the extra options added to the truck.

As for towing someone else can step in. I tow a popup with a max capacity of approx. 3200 lbs and very seldom come close to it. And my tongue weight is approx. 515 lbs (but that is due to the design of the trailer with both propane tanks full and two series 27 deep cycle batteries that alone weight over 100 lbs).

I could lower the tongue weight if I placed heavy items in the trailer behind the single axle, but with dual axles, not sure how that works.

Needless to say, if I didn't look in the rearview mirror I would not know the trailer is back there even when climbing the high mountain passes around here.

Living somewhere in ID; previously lived in Moab UT; previous to that, don't ask!
f5moab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 09:04 PM   #3

Thanks for your reply f5moab.
I have the crew cab short bed with fuel tank listed at 21.6 gal.
Perhaps it is my mistake, but I thought being an off road package that HD suspension would be a given, with the Ranchero shocks and skid plate.
The sticker on my pillar only gives me tire ratings, no axle ratings.
I will have to see my dealer about some of these issues. I must admit I got a vehicle specific data sheet that I have misplaced.
Again, thank you for your reply , you have given me some things to think about.
Norm
Nammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 09:06 PM   #4

Thanks for your reply f5moab.
I have the crew cab short bed with fuel tank listed at 21.6 gal.
Perhaps it is my mistake, but I thought being an off road package that HD suspension would be a given, with the Ranchero shocks and skid plate.
The sticker on my pillar only gives me tire ratings, no axle ratings.
I will have to see my dealer about some of these issues. I must admit I got a vehicle specific data sheet that I have misplaced.
Again, thank you for your reply , you have given me some things to think about.
Norm
Old 08-15-2016, 09:15 PM   #5

I also have a CC with short box, maybe they are installing a smaller fuel tank on the '16 models. I do know for a fact mine will take more than 23.5 gallons and still be running (didn't pay attention when driving through western NV last year while talking on the bluetooth phone) and the owner's manual states 26, but the information is not always that accurate in those manuals.

On that tire sticker is there a line above the tire info that states:
"The combined weight of passengers and cargo should never exceed **** lbs (or maybe kg in your case)"? Maybe not required on a Canadian sold vehicles; not sure.

Living somewhere in ID; previously lived in Moab UT; previous to that, don't ask!
f5moab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 09:28 PM   #6
Site Team

Door sticker should show Max cargo capacity, This will most likely be the limiting factor.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 65W solar panels
Flybob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 10:08 PM   #7

Our entry-level Ram 2500 CC w/5.7 Hemi only has a tow rating of 9,100 & GCVW of 15,000 although our payload is 3,000... We tow a "1/2 ton towable" 31' TT with 2 slides that weighs 6,500 empty w/empty hitch of 650. Ready to camp it's 8,000+ w/ loaded tongue of 1,100+. Our family of 5 & 1 dog adds 700 so we're at a payload of 1800 before adding a single item to the PU bed... So if we were towing with a 1/2 ton we would need to keep the PU bed totally empty...

However, because we have a 3,000 payload we can & do haul a lot more stuff in the PU bed, like generators, scooters, inflatable kayaks, firewood, etc. & actually added a fiberglass cap to keep it all dry. However we could place all of this stuff in tubs & store it in the TT, it would just be a lot less convenient...

So IMO our size/weight TT is the MOST I would consider for a 1/2 ton although your HD upgrade & tow package make yours a safer option than some other 1/2 ton choices. Our TT tows best with 15% on the hitch, most of the storage is up-front, so IMO it's NOT a good idea to reduce hitch weight by moving stuff toward the rear of the TT, etc.

For towing applications I'm not a fan of the Chevy 5.3 (355*hp & 383*lb·ft torque) compared to my Hemi 5.7 (383*hp & 400*lb·ft torque) or Ford's capable Ecoboost...

You'll probably get around 8 mpg towing a larger TT. If you truly only have a 21 gal tank, then you'll have to stop every 2 hours to get gas... That's a real bummer..
Days camped in 2015-37; Days camped in 2014-31

The_Rhino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 11:28 PM   #8

2014 Silverado high country

My truck also is a 1/2 ton, without the z1 suspension. It has the tow package and I have a 10,000 lb 4 way equalizer hitch. I pull an FR Evo, dry weight is about 4,600, full prob close to 6,000. We went from so cal thru South Dakota and Colorado up and down some long 8% grades without a problem. Learn how the "M" on the trans works, the grade assist works GREAT. My trailering capacity is 9,700 lbs. I imagine you truck is close to the same. You should have no problem with similar trailer. I would be hesitant to try a 5th wheel with my truck but your suspension MAY handle it. Have FUN the rv life is awesome!
Old 08-16-2016, 01:52 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by f5moab View Post
Gasoline weights approx. 6.3 lbs but can vary slightly due to temps, but not enough to worry about.

Have to ask, don't you have a 26 gallon tank? I do on my '15 Silverado, but maybe they changed it in the '16 model year.

Also, unless they changed it from model years, Z71 is not a HD package but a sport/off-road package that gives you:
  • Rancho Brand Shocks
  • Hill Descent Control
  • Underbody Transfer Case Shield
  • Recovery Hooks
  • High Capacity Air Cleaner
  • Eaton Heavy-Duty Automatic Locking Rear Differential
  • Brushed Metal Sill Plates
  • 18” or 20” Wheels
  • All-terrain Tires

And GM on mine lied about the tires being AT from the factory. They had Goodyear SR-A tires that were about as close to being AT as a set of racing slicks. I complained directly to GM and two weeks later the dealer installed a new set of Goodyear Kevlar (actual) AT Tires.

Also, make sure to get the max load off the sticker inside the driver's door on the B-pillar. That sticker is particular to your vehicle. For example a LT might have a higher load rating than an LTZ due to the extra options added to the truck.

As for towing someone else can step in. I tow a popup with a max capacity of approx. 3200 lbs and very seldom come close to it. And my tongue weight is approx. 515 lbs (but that is due to the design of the trailer with both propane tanks full and two series 27 deep cycle batteries that alone weight over 100 lbs).

I could lower the tongue weight if I placed heavy items in the trailer behind the single axle, but with dual axles, not sure how that works.

Needless to say, if I didn't look in the rearview mirror I would not know the trailer is back there even when climbing the high mountain passes around here.
Note that Nammy claims that the new ride has both the Z71 and tow package. The tow package is a significant upgrade.

We have a 2013 Silverado 1500 with a 5.3 and tow package, but it is not a Z71. We tow a 7500 lb. tandem axle cargo trailer with electric brakes pretty well and also tow a 19' boat on a single axle trailer with surge brakes. We find that the tandem axle trailer gives an overall smoother tow. We have added Firestone Ride Rite airbags for stability. We do not need a WDH for our purposes.
Old 08-16-2016, 01:54 PM   #10

What you really need to know is the rear axle ratio. I had one from the factory 3.08 and 6400lb towing,you loose towing capacity. You should have at least 3.42, or 3.73 Find you GM RPO Axle Codes in the glove box.

Tags
500, tow vehicle