Old 05-08-2014, 04:13 PM   #31
Originally Posted by camper67 View Post
Yeah... I don't know why they sell trucks and TTs with tires they know aren't rated for loads... Wait I do know. So they can have a chance to sell you on upgrades.
For TTs, I'm not sure that I agree - the manufacturers often don't offer upgraded tires and the RV dealerships I've dealt with don't do tires either.

2013 Sabre 36QBOK pulled by a 2012 Ram 3500 DRW
Blogs: Learn to RV & Personal Fulltiming Adventure
Towing Calculators: Towing Planner
ependydad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 04:53 PM   #32
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
For TTs, I'm not sure that I agree - the manufacturers often don't offer upgraded tires and the RV dealerships I've dealt with don't do tires either.
the majority of the saleman at rv dealerships don't probably even know that there are load ratings on tires!! lol let alone diff tires they only know what the brochures state.

I have been thinking of changing mine out from 15's to 16's and from 225 75 15's to 235 85 16's but I like the looks of the current rims so I went on there home site for the manuf. I found the same rim in a 16 but had to look at the specs of the 15's I have and to my surprise the manufacturer only rates them at a max pressure of 60 psi for the rim itself and forest river sent it out of the plant with load range d tire which are 8 ply that hold a max pressure of 65 psi which the tire manufacturer says to air them up too cold always on the camper. the dealership I bought the toy hauler fifth wheel from changed the tires at my request to 10 ply as well as the spare and threw in an additional spare also with a 10 ply. my load range E tires are 10 ply's and have a max psi of 80 psi! they never looked up the rims or anything they just had the local tire store put the tires on. forest river sent the unit out new over capacity and the dealership in Walcott ia put tire on that far far exceeded the capacity of the rim itself which also only has a load rating of 2800 lbs each. I have 2011 wolf pack 295 ,tandem so 4 wheels so max load rating on the rims is 11200 lbs and my gvw is 11860 lbs according to the sticker. I am only saying this because in no way shape form or fashion do camper dealership know squat about tires or rims nor do they care to let alone the manufacturer!!!!! they pre fer to skate by just under spec rather than over hoping that most will park the units and only use them for short trips twice a year lol

'99 f350, quad cab long box, dually, 6 speed manual, gently mod'd.
2011 wolf pack 295 with full susp now!
dsrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 04:44 PM   #33
Disney camper
New tow vehicle

I just ran some rough numbers, the payload tag on my door says 1400#. TR toung wt is 955 (1000 really) family of four and bikes in truck is 400 + some extra I'll maybe be 200 over payload rating.
'13 F150 3x4 Screw

Will I be ok for a max trip of 600 miles one way once a year?
I didn't realize toung wt would effect payload that much

camper67 is offline   Reply With Quote

tow vehicle