Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-26-2014, 02:01 PM   #21

Send a message via AIM to B and B
Glad to hear you have it worked out! The downward force makes a big difference. Hauling more with my fiver the addition of LT rated truck tires stiffened the back end up a lot, only 1.5 inches of drop when hitched over dry. All the best in your travels! Despite what others say until you tow with a EcoBoost you really can't say how well it hauls!
2015 Heartland Bighorn 5th Wheel
2013 FR Rockwood 8289WS 5th Wheel
2012 FR Rockwood 2703 SS Travel Trailer
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 02:44 PM   #22
Phat Phrog Stunt Crew

When I got my last TT the dealer hooked up the hitch and said it was good. But it wasn't good enough for the Sierra 1500 and 34' LaCrosse. I pulled 2 or 3 links up on the chains and then it went down the road with very little sway.
My thoughts are to max out your tire pressures (TT and TV) and then try adjusting your chain links up and down to see how things change. I remember my first ever TT pull with a SUV was frightful without a clue on how the hitched worked. After a short time of adjusting the hitch, I ready to go cross country.
elind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 07:38 PM   #23
Disney camper

So I'm sure I have the WDH worked out... The dry 6,000 TT has a toung weight of 950# works out be 15.8%. So I figure camp ready it will be around 14% if careful to load over the axles or to the back.
My question is this too much toung weight and would that effect the way it tows?
Old 05-08-2014, 11:07 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by camper67 View Post
Got the ball height adjusted and pumped up the tires to 42psi (max is 44) for a trip back to the dealer for warranty work. I'll see how it tows.
well if this is your truck tire you are talking about with a max pressure of 44 psi then you have really light duty tires that are actually found on most mid size suv's. like trail blazers or explorers or kia sorento's. a good set of 10 ply tires would make a big diff imo in stability and reduce sway. also if your camper came with load range c tires then it should have d's on it and I have seen several with the c's ...... most boats come with c's and d's. load range E would be stout but might make it a bit bouncy empty. I know it did mine but once I load my sand rail and gear in it's smooth again. the load range d's that came on mine were no where near up to the task and bulged empty at 65 psi new on the dealership lot. at 80 psi my 10 ply barely bulge and it does help with sway. but glad to hear your making progress in the right direction!

'21 dune sport fire storm custom toyhauler
dsrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 11:53 AM   #25

My truck has a switch for the TPMS system that allows me to switch between light and heavy loads. Light load puts the rear tires at 45psi. Heavy load is 80psi. When towing at 45psi, the back end is more squirrley because of the additional tire flex. At 80psi, it's a world of difference. But then, 80psi when empty is a bumpy ride.
Old 05-08-2014, 11:56 AM   #26
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitNine View Post
My truck has a switch for the TPMS system that allows me to switch between light and heavy loads. Light load puts the rear tires at 45psi. Heavy load is 80psi. When towing at 45psi, the back end is more squirrley because of the additional tire flex. At 80psi, it's a world of difference. But then, 80psi when empty is a bumpy ride.
This is new to me.
More info?

TURBS

Sabre owners united!
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 12:00 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post
This is new to me.
More info?

TURBS

Sabre owners united!
It's specific to the 2013 Ram heavy duty trucks. They removed it on the '14 trucks, and a lot of people are P'd off it's gone. I'd certainly miss it. All the switch does is tell the TPMS system what pressure the rear tires should be at. 45psi or 80psi. Manual says "heavy loads", but doesn't define what that means. My trailer is about 925 pounds tongue weight, of a 2250 pound payload capacity, so not quite half way there. It also makes a difference when I'm carrying my quad in the bed, which is about 750 pounds.
Old 05-08-2014, 01:59 PM   #28

well that's nice it keeps the system functional and keeps the light off. so the factory is promoting running tires half inflated rather than better suspension lol def the cheaper way for them. lol

Old 05-08-2014, 02:12 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsrace View Post
well that's nice it keeps the system functional and keeps the light off. so the factory is promoting running tires half inflated rather than better suspension lol def the cheaper way for them. lol
I think that's one reason they ditched that option in the '14s. They now have rear coil suspension rather than the leaf packs I've got in mine. Apparently the ride is much better that way, and maybe the 45psi setting is unnecessary with the coils.
Old 05-08-2014, 04:10 PM   #30
Disney camper

Yeah... I don't know why they sell trucks and TTs with tires they know aren't rated for loads... Wait I do know. So they can have a chance to sell you on upgrades.
Old 05-08-2014, 04:13 PM   #31
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by camper67 View Post
Yeah... I don't know why they sell trucks and TTs with tires they know aren't rated for loads... Wait I do know. So they can have a chance to sell you on upgrades.
For TTs, I'm not sure that I agree - the manufacturers often don't offer upgraded tires and the RV dealerships I've dealt with don't do tires either.
Old 05-08-2014, 04:53 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
For TTs, I'm not sure that I agree - the manufacturers often don't offer upgraded tires and the RV dealerships I've dealt with don't do tires either.
the majority of the saleman at rv dealerships don't probably even know that there are load ratings on tires!! lol let alone diff tires they only know what the brochures state.

I have been thinking of changing mine out from 15's to 16's and from 225 75 15's to 235 85 16's but I like the looks of the current rims so I went on there home site for the manuf. I found the same rim in a 16 but had to look at the specs of the 15's I have and to my surprise the manufacturer only rates them at a max pressure of 60 psi for the rim itself and forest river sent it out of the plant with load range d tire which are 8 ply that hold a max pressure of 65 psi which the tire manufacturer says to air them up too cold always on the camper. the dealership I bought the toy hauler fifth wheel from changed the tires at my request to 10 ply as well as the spare and threw in an additional spare also with a 10 ply. my load range E tires are 10 ply's and have a max psi of 80 psi! they never looked up the rims or anything they just had the local tire store put the tires on. forest river sent the unit out new over capacity and the dealership in Walcott ia put tire on that far far exceeded the capacity of the rim itself which also only has a load rating of 2800 lbs each. I have 2011 wolf pack 295 ,tandem so 4 wheels so max load rating on the rims is 11200 lbs and my gvw is 11860 lbs according to the sticker. I am only saying this because in no way shape form or fashion do camper dealership know squat about tires or rims nor do they care to let alone the manufacturer!!!!! they pre fer to skate by just under spec rather than over hoping that most will park the units and only use them for short trips twice a year lol

Old 05-20-2014, 04:44 PM   #33
Disney camper

New tow vehicle

I just ran some rough numbers, the payload tag on my door says 1400#. TR toung wt is 955 (1000 really) family of four and bikes in truck is 400 + some extra I'll maybe be 200 over payload rating.
'13 F150 3x4 Screw

Will I be ok for a max trip of 600 miles one way once a year?
I didn't realize toung wt would effect payload that much

Tags
tow vehicle