Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-21-2017, 02:24 PM   #41
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Lyon View Post
I'm actually surprised by Ford's claim of 13k towing for a half ton. That's my 2017 GMC 2500's capacity.
I doubt that that's the OP's towing capacity.
I believe that only a 2017 base regular cab Ecoboost with the Max Tow Package AND the HD Payload Package, would have that much. And that would be a rare bird.

I spent months looking for a F150 Ecoboost with decent payload.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 03:26 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
I doubt that that's the OP's towing capacity.
I believe that only a 2017 base regular cab Ecoboost with the Max Tow Package AND the HD Payload Package, would have that much. And that would be a rare bird.

I spent months looking for a F150 Ecoboost with decent payload.
Actually, the MaxTow package trucks have the same max towing number as the HD Payload do- more in some instances. MaxTow used to get a bump to 7700/7750 GVWR. GVWR is now at 7000/7050. I wish someone would do an actual in depth analysis of everything on a 2014 MaxTow at 7700 and compare it to a current model MaxTow at 7000 to see if their actually is any justification of it or if it was just to keep payload number from exceeding F250 diesel numbers.
dustman_stx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 03:28 PM   #43

Here's a screen shot of the 2018 Order Guide showing that only MaxTow is needed to get the 13,200 number. You do have to have the 20" wheels added to get the highest number, too. 18" wheels have a lower tow rating for some reason???
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MaxTow.png
Views:	82
Size:	44.3 KB
ID:	152083  
dustman_stx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 04:09 PM   #44

Can't believe the 3/4 ton crowd is selling lemonade in this neighborhood. Really? He's towing 3800 pounds. His intended F150 will handle it easier and more safely than 90% of the rigs on the road today.

I towed almost the exact pairing across the country and it was a dream! I did it without WDH, but I would use one in hindsight. Better safe than...

We have since doubled our trailer weight and are still making easy of it (30k towing miles with this combo). You have to upgrade to some fairly large trailers to outmatch that F150.

tragusa3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 05:09 AM   #45

I don't see anybody saying OP has to have 3/4 ton for this TT. Unless I missed it, the only reference to 3/4 ton was to "future proof" if he decides to upgrade to a larger unit, which is sound advice. The OP says he can't/won't be doing that for some time.
The rest of the (healthy and informative) debate has been around antisway, WDH, and how hard you have to work to find an F150 with 13k tow rating.
All out of lemonade😉.
ProPride Hitch
purduepete97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 06:26 AM   #46

I agree (and recommend) Mammoth's approach. Probably not an issue since you are already using the wdh on your trailer; check the rating on the bars for the wdh.
We went from a single bar light duty wdh on our coleman Utah to a reese sc double bar wdh on our 2514g, because of the tongue a-frame configuration. The double bar is a bit of overkill for sure. I had to change out the bars for heavier ones when we then moved up to the ROO 21 ss.
Old 09-22-2017, 01:33 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by purduepete97 View Post
I don't see anybody saying OP has to have 3/4 ton for this TT. Unless I missed it, the only reference to 3/4 ton was to "future proof" if he decides to upgrade to a larger unit, which is sound advice. The OP says he can't/won't be doing that for some time.
The rest of the (healthy and informative) debate has been around antisway, WDH, and how hard you have to work to find an F150 with 13k tow rating.
All out of lemonade��.
If OP were looking to tow something now at the top end of the F150's ability, then I would agree that considering a 3/4-ton is good advice. But in this case, the F150 is already future proof, when the current trailer is only 3800 lbs.
Equal-i-zer WDH (10k), Prodigy Brake Controller
thebrakeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 08:51 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by purduepete97 View Post
All out of lemonade😉.
In re-reading, you are correct. I see it so much that maybe I was sensitive to it on my first read.

Regarding future proofing. There are many folks that don't continue to grow in size and it sounds like the OP is fairly confident in his position on that. As I said earlier, he could double in size and be well within specs...that's pretty future proof enough for me.

tragusa3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 10:23 AM   #49

Yeah I don't have any intention of going bigger than a half ton truck. I personally don't want bigger. And because of storage space we can't go bigger on our trailer. So the setup will be the same for quite some time. When I start to look at the trucks ill do my homework and get one that will have the payload I need. And I will continue to use the WDH and friction bar.

Should I get things really heated and start a Ford vs Dodge vs Chevy debate? Lol and no please don't start debating over it, that was a joke.

Butt I do appreciate everyone's input, is nice to have people to ask.
Mammoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 09:33 PM   #50
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mammoth View Post
Yeah I don't have any intention of going bigger than a half ton truck. I personally don't want bigger. And because of storage space we can't go bigger on our trailer. So the setup will be the same for quite some time. When I start to look at the trucks ill do my homework and get one that will have the payload I need. And I will continue to use the WDH and friction bar.
We were in the same situation.
We had always talked about a 5th wheel but we built a new house on a hillside.
We have limited space for a trailer and a difficult turn to the garage for a truck.
So a 5th wheel was out and only a 1/2 shortbed truck can make the turn.

I went with a F150 because they have better payloads than the other brands.
Plus the Ecoboost has had excellent reviews over the years it has been out.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow vehicle