Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-31-2018, 07:40 PM   #21

Do not even think of buying Off-Road fuel for your on road truck.....

Bad mojo...

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 08:04 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpyoldman View Post
As I said above there is only one diesel fuel available. Off road diesel is just dyed and less taxes. It is still ULSD. ULSD is the only diesel fuel available at a "normal" gas station. The off road diesel is available in farming communities for the farmers and construction equipment. This not something an RV'er would come across in his travels.

Here where I am (NE of Lancaster PA), the local truck stop sells both. You are correct that they are both ULSD. One is clear and legal for road, the other is dyed (typically Red) and illegal for road vehicle as it has not been taxed. Other than the dye, they are the same. Should have made that clearer in my earlier post.
xd40c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 08:52 PM   #23

6.0 Diesel It all depends on the previous owner

Congratulations!

Having owned an 04 F250 with the 6.0, I found it to be extremely dependable, and actually had zero out of warranty repairs, no catestrophic failures.. Over 12 years, I put on just over 97,000 miles. Of course being the original owner, I knew the history, and took care of business, as far as maintenance was concerned. Had all service work done at the selling dealer, as it was very close to work, and they shuttled me. The war stories I heard about failures all were about modified engines, special chips, and so on.
Had no problems towing a 30' fifth wheel with it, and kept up with traffic with no problem. Never saw black smoke from the exhaust, by the way. A little white smoke when it was first started on cold mornings though. Used Rotella-T oil on dealer's recommendation, with OEM filters.
There were a couple of recalls, which were done in a timely fashion, and I understand the biggest problem in general was with the EGR tube, and head bolt stretch on the earlier models. Repairs regarding the engine were cleaning injectors, replacing two of them, cleaning and rebuilding the turbo, and later they put in a new turbo. With the 100k warranty, the maximum out of pocket was $100. Traded it in on another F250 in 2016, and will probably never need another new one, as I'm in my mid 70s.
Photo Lab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 06:05 AM   #24

Fuel Additives

I bought my 6.0 without knowing any of the problems. Got a great deal on a like new '07 with 25,000 on it. I put a Scanguage on it to monitor oil and water temperature. When towing, my oil temperature sometimes goes up to as high as 244 F. I use full synthetic oil exclusively because it handles these temps better. Everything I've read says to use additives with every tank. I buy it by the gallon, and it isn't that big a cost. The oil cools the injectors, so clean oil is critical. I put an aftermarket Amsoil secondary oil filter on. I also put a coolant filter on. The first time I changed the coolant filter, I couldn't believe the junk that came out of it. I've also cleaned my EGR valve. Fairly simple job, and mine was clean. Many of the problems with the 6.0 came from people chipping them to get their full potential. If you want more power, then you'll probably want to spend the $5,000 or so to get it Bulletproofed. If you had a gasser before, you'll be pleased with the power this diesel has. If diesel wasn't so expensive, I could set the cruise control and go 80 all the way. I find that towing over 70 mph really sucks diesel.
Old 08-04-2018, 03:34 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5Kins View Post
Well I got rid of my silverado 1500 and traded it for an 05 excursion 6.0 diesel. Never owned a diesel powered vehicle personally. Is there a difference in fuel like gasoline or is it just all the same.
My Excursion 6.0 blew up on 35w comin out of Kansas city right in front of The Ford dealer...Had little over 100k...$9635.00 to fix...GET RID OF IT AS FAST AS YOU CAN ! The new F250 diesel gets 23 mpg @ 65 empty and 11.5 pullin my 25 pack 12 with both Harleys in the garage !
juice5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 06:35 PM   #26

I try to buy Top Tier brands.
TBDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 07:03 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBDub View Post
I try to buy Top Tier brands.
While Top Tier diesel is technically a thing, there are virtually zero locations to get it yet. 99.99% of stations that are Top Tier are only referring to the gasoline. Top Tier diesel has only been a thing for 11 months.
Old 08-09-2018, 07:31 PM   #28

There is no (zero) difference between farm diesel and clear diesel, except for the dye in farm diesel and that is to catch tax evaders. I have put dyed farm fuel in Cummins, IHC, PSD, Duramax, Cat, Iveco and Kubota, on road and off road. And trust me, those 500 and 600 horse engines are finicky, fixing one of those can cost as much or more as a brand new full size pickup truck. That being said, avoid buying diesel fuel from places with low turn over, it may contain water and other crap that will (not can) clog the filters in no time.
Cypressloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 12:53 AM   #29

We had our '06 F250 6.0 Bulletproofed a couple of months ago. We have just turned 80,000 mi. It is closer to $10,000. We drove about 400 miles to Springfield, MO and are very happy with the outcome. We took our little car to use while they worked on the truck. I bet people thought the little car needed work, when it was the other way around!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0bullet.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	322.1 KB
ID:	182775  
bhunt2405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 01:05 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbr01 View Post
Just purchased a 2006 F250 Super Duty 6.0 diesel. Needed it to pull my new 5th wheel.
I was going to buy a 2017 but my son told me about a place in GA that rebuilds and bullet proofs the 05,06,& 07's.

Called them (powerstrokehelp.com) and purchased the 06.

What a truck! They gave me a list of maint items and times, and the additive to add to the fuel & oil. Have run over 15K miles pulling the camper with NO problems. I expect another 3-400,000 miles before I need any major service.

After the sale they are there and stand behind their work 100%

As you can tell I am very happy with their work.
I love that guy's videos! So informative and entertaining. I don't even own a power stroke but I've been able to offer a little advice to people who do just from watching his videos.
EGTs!!!
Travel Pooch:Sophie the Sato - Cats: Rhody and Hazy
2018:22nights / 2019:31Nights / 2020:18Nights
Mr Towed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 01:14 AM   #31

Ex ford dealer tech and spent some time in the 6.0 worship position .Yes the first 2 years were very problematic .If you are going to keep this truck for awhile you need to find a shop that specializes in diesel pick up and have them check it for modifications + updates like the bulletproof egr cooler .All diesels are very expensive to work on because there is no room to work .Try to buy fuel from truck stops that are pumping a lot .Best filters are Motorcraft or Wix.You can save money on these by buying from Rock Auto parts online .The diesel additive helps keep the injectors clean and the internal parts from wearing caused by the lack of lubrication from the modern fuel .Fyi if the head gaskets go they have to pull the body off of the chassis to access the engine.Many bad stories about the 6.0 but it took the aftermarket to perfect them.Only let a shop that knows these trucks we’ll work on it.
oldxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 07:29 AM   #32

You don't mention where you live, but in winter Northern Tear states get a blend of diesel that is just a bit thinner than norm. That is because is has been chilled and the paraffins filtered out to prevent filter clogging. The fuel may also have kerosene added to counteract this.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winter_diesel_fuel
dlambers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 01:32 AM   #33

Are you talking about the video of Seemore? That is a good one. We were told to expect about 300-500,000 miles. Wow. We pull a 2014 27' Cherokee Wolf Pack Toy Hauler. We have a Polaris RZR and my Smart Car also fits in it. We have only put about 1000 miles on it. We were coming home in June and was stopped for a bad wreck on I 57. A little car smacked into the left rear of the camper. It twisted the frame around the back door, bent the bumper in, almost tore off the stabilizer jack, and tore up the siding all the way down. Fortunately he missed the tires and plumbing. His car was totaled. It is at the shop waiting on parts. We are bummed because this is good camping time. But we are retired, so it really doesn't matter. If weren't there he would have hit one of the semis in front or beside us. That would have probably killed him. He is only a year older than our granddaughter. Everything happens for a reason and my camper is not worth anyone's life. But...
bhunt2405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 07:35 AM   #34

In Colorado have heard a number of stories about the State Patrol checking rigs for red diesel. From what I understand, it's a pretty huge fine if you are caught running it. The big issue from a performance standpoint is that most red diesel is stored for a long time without algicide additive in it. It will grow algae in the tank which can cause many problems with plugged filters and lines. I run it in my tractors without issues, but I'm careful to keep the additives in it, but I would never put it in my Duramax. My vintage Duramax had injector issues so I run fresh fuel, and Cat fuel filters.
The 6.0 Ford has a pretty bad reputation for problems. (This from mechanic friends that work on them). Know of a number of them that went away after short order because they were always in the shop. I understand they can be made bulletproof, but at a big cost. I was a Ford guy until the time came to buy a diesel truck. I chose to go Chevy, and have been very happy. They all have their issues, but the 6.0 seems to own the top spot for problems. Get it "bulletproofed" as others have recommended.

2016 Boston Whaler Montauk 150
Former Montana owner
Colorado Cruiser, Over the Pass and Down the Hill
Comanchecreek is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, tow vehicle