Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-27-2011, 09:46 AM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

I think 10 to 12 mpg pulling a significant travel trailer is AWESOME mileage. Maybe not in diesel territory under load but great nevertheless. One of the reasons that the Ecoboost gets knocked on towing mileage, IMO, is that people wind up using that power, sometimes unknowingly, and that takes gas. Hills where the 5.4 would drag down, the Ecoboost blasts right up. That takes fuel. My bet is that, driven exactly at the same speeds and accelerations, the Ecoboost mileage is just fine. Can't wait to get one.
1969 John Deere 1020, 1940 Ford 9N, 1948 Ford 8N
Jonsered 535, Can of WD-40, Duct Tape
Red Green coffee mugs
acadianbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 09:57 AM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by LFugate View Post
I heard the 2013 will be the redesign so I'll probably wait until late next year to start looking at them seriously.
It's hard to know what re-design means; and opinions vary. I would expect some styling changes soon. But the next major re-design may be 2015/16 I have read. (Who knows!) Apparently it was going to be sooner but the new mileage regulations are causing some re-thinking; and therefore some delays from the original plan. Reportedly, there will be a significant weight reduction, an 8 speed auto, and a GenII Ecoboost. The truck desparately needs to lose some weight. GenII is supposed to get another 5% better on fuel and further torque increases. I have been waiting a bit too to see what plans were at Ford. But I think I'm going to take the plunge this winter. I would really like the more relaxed towing for our 3,000 mile trips.
Red Green coffee mugs
Old 09-27-2011, 12:50 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by acadianbob View Post
It's hard to know what re-design means; and opinions vary. I would expect some styling changes soon. But the next major re-design may be 2015/16 I have read. (Who knows!) Apparently it was going to be sooner but the new mileage regulations are causing some re-thinking; and therefore some delays from the original plan. Reportedly, there will be a significant weight reduction, an 8 speed auto, and a GenII Ecoboost. The truck desparately needs to lose some weight. GenII is supposed to get another 5% better on fuel and further torque increases. I have been waiting a bit too to see what plans were at Ford. But I think I'm going to take the plunge this winter. I would really like the more relaxed towing for our 3,000 mile trips.
I have seen the 2015 prediction also, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed The F150's are really heavy for a 1/2 ton, they could certainly go on a diet. An 8 speed auto would be in an Ecoboost, can't wait. So you going to get a 2011 at discount or a 2012?
Len & Cheri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 01:05 PM   #24

What is the Max towing capability of you eco boost ?? supposedly its 11,300lb in the right con figuration. And did you get the max payload pkg ??
dretired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 02:25 PM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Going to order a 2012. Nothing on the lots is even close to what I want.
Red Green coffee mugs
Old 09-27-2011, 06:43 PM   #26

Quote:
What is the Max towing capability of you eco boost ?? supposedly its 11,300lb in the right con figuration. And did you get the max payload pkg ??
I have got the max tow so yes 11,300lb with the 3.73 rear end upgraded GVWR (max payload) and 4x4. So the fuel consumption numbers are impacted by both the 3.73 and the 4x4. When you do the math with 4 adults, 2 kids, a bed full of bikes firewood and other stuff plus a tongue weight of 650lb you will be surprized how quickly it all adds up. It certainly pulls the 21RS sooooo much better than the pathfinder that we used to use.

We got the max tow and the max payload, just in case (or when) we want to upgrade the TT. We also got the rear view camera, which I must say is just great for hitching up, it has gone from a two person job to a quick and easy 1 person job.
buzzmonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 07:42 PM   #27

Location: No longer own a Forest River product, but enjoy the info on this site
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzmonster View Post
We also got the rear view camera, which I must say is just great for hitching up, it has gone from a two person job to a quick and easy 1 person job.
That is good to hear - we have the backup camera also. It was one of those 'bells and whistles' that sold the DW on the new truck.

teamgl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 05:36 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzmonster View Post
I have got the max tow so yes 11,300lb with the 3.73 rear end upgraded GVWR (max payload) and 4x4. So the fuel consumption numbers are impacted by both the 3.73 and the 4x4. When you do the math with 4 adults, 2 kids, a bed full of bikes firewood and other stuff plus a tongue weight of 650lb you will be surprized how quickly it all adds up. It certainly pulls the 21RS sooooo much better than the pathfinder that we used to use.

We got the max tow and the max payload, just in case (or when) we want to upgrade the TT. We also got the rear view camera, which I must say is just great for hitching up, it has gone from a two person job to a quick and easy 1 person job.
I am having a tough time deciding on a F150 eco boost, max towing pkg, max payload pkg, electronic locking rear axel, 4x4, a super cab with a 6 1/2 ft box would be my preference ( its the 2 of us with a small dog ) Or a F250 XLT super cab ,4x4, 6.2 liter gas engine, 3.73 electronic locking axel, the F 250 should have 12,500 max towing with about 3,000 lb payload... max payload for my 7,700 lb dry weight 5th wheel...Amazing... they are both close in price for me..It may come down to fuel economey when i am NOT towing that wins !!
Old 09-28-2011, 07:15 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by dretired View Post
I am having a tough time deciding on a F150 eco boost, max towing pkg, max payload pkg, electronic locking rear axel, 4x4, a super cab with a 6 1/2 ft box would be my preference ( its the 2 of us with a small dog ) Or a F250 XLT super cab ,4x4, 6.2 liter gas engine, 3.73 electronic locking axel, the F 250 should have 12,500 max towing with about 3,000 lb payload... max payload for my 7,700 lb dry weight 5th wheel...Amazing... they are both close in price for me..It may come down to fuel economey when i am NOT towing that wins !!
If you get the F150 I would get the limited slip. I've read the electric locker can only be used when in 4X4. Personally, I don't want to have to put it in 4X4 for the rear axle not to slip.

Tough choice between those 2 vehicles. I'd list my thoughts on the 2, I just don't want to turn this into a diesel VS gas thread.
Old 09-28-2011, 07:40 AM   #30

Quote:
If you get the F150 I would get the limited slip. I've read the electric locker can only be used when in 4X4. Personally, I don't want to have to put it in 4X4 for the rear axle not to slip.

Tough choice between those 2 vehicles. I'd list my thoughts on the 2, I just don't want to turn this into a diesel VS gas thread.
Good point !! If a 3.73 limited slip rear axel would work ...?? It would then be possible to get away with a 4x2 saving like $3,000..but.. hard to sell in this area when its time to get a replacement. And No i wouldnt want the diesel . With the 6.2 gas engine it can burn E 85 when Not towing, and save a little on fuel costs.. And .. could they( Ford) ever come out with a 6.2 Eco Boost ??
Old 09-28-2011, 08:25 PM   #31

Quote:
Good point !! If a 3.73 limited slip rear axel would work ...?? It would then be possible to get away with a 4x2 saving like $3,000..but.. hard to sell in this area when its time to get a replacement. And No i wouldnt want the diesel . With the 6.2 gas engine it can burn E 85 when Not towing, and save a little on fuel costs.. And .. could they( Ford) ever come out with a 6.2 Eco Boost ??
If you run the E85 then you fuel mileage is going to wipe the savings out.
transamz9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 05:16 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by transamz9 View Post
If you run the E85 then you fuel mileage is going to wipe the savings out.
My 2010 f150 supercab with a 5.4 ,tow pkg, 3.55 limited slip gets 17 mpg when using E-85 and going up and down the 2 lane highways at 50- 60 mph ..
Old 09-29-2011, 07:12 AM   #33
Moderator Emeritus

You definitely want 4x4 if you live in snow country. LS differentials are nasty on ice and snow. If you push them at all, the rear end comes around real fast; annoying and potentially an accident waiting to happen. Even accelerating in a straight line, they can crawl sideways. 4x4 takes most of that away. And you are right about resale value. A 4x2 in snow country has no resale value at all. And here is another thought: ever try to back up a trailer on wet grass? If there is any kind of hill, even a LS will spin. I've had to engage 4x4 to be able to move.
Red Green coffee mugs
Old 09-29-2011, 07:20 AM   #34
Moderator Emeritus

This is from a post in F150Forum.com. GREAT post about Ford F150 LS, electronic lockers, traction control, etc. Here goes . .

I read a lot about the rear ends and how they work in the owners manual and have been testing all the features on 5 different F150's and now have my FX4 fitted with the Raptor 2wdr E-locker modification.
A little background on me, work in northern Canada as a forestry logging supervisor for the largest Canadian forest company. I put on 70,000 kms a year on a combination of frozen, icy, snowy, slushy winter roads and the other half of the year is mucky, horrid, thawing winter roads, new road construction etc. New company truck every 2 years, 3 if it holds up well. So I have some reference as to how well some thing hooks up and goes.

I had ordered an FX4 then later found out it had an open diff when the locker was not engaged which can happen in 4x4 only. I was worried I'd have a one wheeled wonder spinning away while in 2wdr mode. My dealer was very accomodating (PG Motors) and let me try various trucks to see the difference between rear ends and possibly change my truck order. I tested 2 FX4's and 2 Lariats(LS rears), my 2008 GMC 3500HD (LS rear), and now my FX4 Ecoscrew.

My results are this as much as some people will scream bullshoot:
The FX4 in 2wdr has an open diff that is constantly controlled by electronics tied to the traction control system. This is called "one wheel spin control" and is on all the time and is not able to be disabled by the driver, it is standard on all 2011 F150's according to my manual. It is not the "traction control 2 wheel spin control" which shuts you down from spinning both wheels. 2 wheel spin control is what is shut off with one push of the traction control button on the dash.
So I turn off TC and try out the one wheel spin control. It works. On ice, snow gravel pavement, one wheel on sand and other on pavement, slush, light mud, turning corners. The 1WSC acts very much like as LS rear, you get no more than a fraction of a second of one wheel spin and then the system forces both wheels to turn, spinning both wheels on every surface I tried.
Trying the Lariats with the LS rear end could not tell a difference no matter what I tried, leaving me with the impression that it's 1WSC was activating quicker than the LS rear. I am confused as to why there are two systems so similar on the truck, my guess would be in the fine print in the manual, which I will get to later.
So both rear ends get around my icy, snowy coarse in identical fashion, lap after lap for an hour. No salesman or mechanic observed any difference in close up spin outs either. Job well done Ford, it kicks my Gm's arse even with the advantage of new Bizzacks, sandbags, and LS rear,

So I can only assume that anyone in a FX4 (2011 tested only) who complains in 2 wheel drive they have poor rear end traction has one of the following problems: Their tires suck for the conditions, the conditions are worse than they realize, they haven't tried turning off the TC to help, they don't know what they are doing, or there is something wrong with the truck.

Now that I have 2wdr diff lock on my FX4 I have been comparing full lock and open modes(always TC off) and have discovered something that is amazing. Diff lock does not get you going any faster in the crap than open diff mode. WHY? Because the electronic 1WSC forces both wheels to spin just like a LS and when BOTH WHEELS ARE SPINNING ALL DIFFS ARE THE SAME. YOUR TIRES ARE THE ONLY THING THAT WILL MAKE A DIFFERENCE IF BOTH TIRES ARE SPINNING!

NOW THE BIG BUT: the 1WSC will shut down automatically if your spin your wheels too much as it heats up the brakes and this would be unsafe. Thus the need for the LS for severe use,in snow, mud, sand etc. The LS will not wear your brakes and may have a power advantage by not losing HP to the braking of the 1WSC system. The electronic system works great for everyday use, a very good LS substitute. The LS is for when this system reaches it's limits.
Now the E- locker has the added benefit of totally locked without the need to have a wheel spin first, and doesn't disengage after spinning stops, maintaining max traction. Uses for this where it will show obvious benefits: Rock crawling, easing thru mud holes without spinning, off camber manuevers, pulling your boat up that slimey slick narrow boat launch, backing up your rig uphill without digging a divot, and just making it down your street better after 24" of snow in 24hrs.

Now I'm not saying any one style is better than the other, people get what they need or want. What I am saying is someone who is worried about the traction their everyday truck will have on our roads over the year, if you have a new truck with the 1WSC as part of their TC as described in my F150 2011 manual, then you should just put good tires on for your needs and enjoy it. For hardcore 4x4 fans just pick your favorite and enjoy, cause I'm impressed by the operation of all versions.
Red Green coffee mugs
Old 09-29-2011, 07:30 AM   #35

Good post. I haven't read that, and it does make me reconsider the electronic locker. I'll have to try that test when I start test driving these new trucks.
Old 09-29-2011, 07:35 AM   #36

Quote:
My 2010 f150 supercab with a 5.4 ,tow pkg, 3.55 limited slip gets 17 mpg when using E-85 and going up and down the 2 lane highways at 50- 60 mph ..
What do you get with non-E-85? I can't run E-85, but I've heard your mileage suffers with it.
Old 09-29-2011, 07:39 AM   #37

Quote:
What do you get with non-E-85? I can't run E-85, but I've heard your mileage suffers with it.
Its about 3-4 mpg less per gallon using E-85.. I have bought E-85 for as much as 80 cents a gallon less than un-leaded regular...
Old 09-29-2011, 08:26 AM   #38
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:

I'll throw in my opinion...

I'd chose the F150 ecoboost with max towing (11,300#) and max payload (GVWR 8500#). That will get a true payload capacity that would be about the same as the F250 gas. You usually run out of payload capacity before you hit the towing weight limit.

The F250 gas wouldn't allow much or any more flexibility if you were to want to upgrade your camper.

The F150 ecoboost has got to deliver better gas mileage than the F250 went not towing as long a you keep the turbos from spooling up all the time (that might be difficult!)

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 09:44 AM   #39
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Monica View Post
I'll throw in my opinion...

I'd chose the F150 ecoboost with max towing (11,300#) and max payload (GVWR 8500#). That will get a true payload capacity that would be about the same as the F250 gas. You usually run out of payload capacity before you hit the towing weight limit.

The F250 gas wouldn't allow much or any more flexibility if you were to want to upgrade your camper.

The F150 ecoboost has got to deliver better gas mileage than the F250 went not towing as long a you keep the turbos from spooling up all the time (that might be difficult!)

Dave
Yep! Not to mention the much better ride and handling when empty.
Red Green coffee mugs
Old 09-29-2011, 10:39 AM   #40

Wouldnt that require a 8 ft box ?? ITs not my preference.. but .. if i am not mistaken the max payload pkg would require that 8 footer...