Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-09-2011, 08:22 AM   #81

Quote:
Originally Posted by acadianbob View Post
Race Red FX4 Supercab
Ecoboost
Max Tow Package
FX Luxury Package
Box Side Steps
LT AT Tires

Dealer said their last one only took 4 weeks. This one will come out of the Kansas City plant. It's going to be a long wait!!!
Nice! Did you have to get the longer bed to get the Max Tow Package? What made you pick the FX4 over a Lariat 4X4? I've been trying to make that decision myself and was just curious.
Len & Cheri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 01:53 PM   #82
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by LFugate View Post
Nice! Did you have to get the longer bed to get the Max Tow Package? What made you pick the FX4 over a Lariat 4X4? I've been trying to make that decision myself and was just curious.
I'm kind of a "no chrome" guy. I like the monochrome of the FX4; bumpers, door latches, and all. So my color theme is Red/Black entirely. Also, this could be my imagination, I've driven both an XLT and an FX4, and to my "sensors", the FX4 seemed a bit firmer and handled a bit better? The FX Luxury Package got most of the Lariat stuff and allowed me to avoid the chrome. I did NOT have to get the 6.5 bed to get the Max Tow.

Overall, the FX4 is a good match for me. We trailer out to the Rockies and Big Horns. I do a fair amount of "slow crawl" on some pretty ugly Forest Service roads to get to trail heads. I've used the skid plates more than once.

My phone just rang and it was the dealership. I'm scheduled for a build the week of Dec 19; ETA Dec 26. That would be a 4 week turnaround assuming the schedule holds.

The nice thing about F150's is that there are so many ways to order it that you can get virtually whatever you want. And that is different for all of us.
1969 John Deere 1020, 1940 Ford 9N, 1948 Ford 8N
Jonsered 535, Can of WD-40, Duct Tape
Red Green coffee mugs
acadianbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 02:27 PM   #83

Quote:
I'm kind of a "no chrome" guy. I like the monochrome of the FX4; bumpers, door latches, and all. So my color theme is Red/Black entirely. Also, this could be my imagination, I've driven both an XLT and an FX4, and to my "sensors", the FX4 seemed a bit firmer and handled a bit better? The FX Luxury Package got most of the Lariat stuff and allowed me to avoid the chrome. I did NOT have to get the 6.5 bed to get the Max Tow.

Overall, the FX4 is a good match for me. We trailer out to the Rockies and Big Horns. I do a fair amount of "slow crawl" on some pretty ugly Forest Service roads to get to trail heads. I've used the skid plates more than once.

My phone just rang and it was the dealership. I'm scheduled for a build the week of Dec 19; ETA Dec 26. That would be a 4 week turnaround assuming the schedule holds.

The nice thing about F150's is that there are so many ways to order it that you can get virtually whatever you want. And that is different for all of us.
Makes sense. Glad you're getting it when promised also
Old 12-09-2011, 02:28 PM   #84

Quote:
LFugate.. Look up(google ) the 2012 Ford F150 towing guide.. At the top of the screen you can look at towing specs ,payload specs ..etc for the different models that you have to choose from.. I wanted to go with a supercab , ecoboost, 6 1/2 box XLT.. but found out.. if i wanted to have the Max Payload pkg.. I would have to go with the supercrew instead ..I would also include the Max tow pkg..
dretired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 02:41 PM   #85
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by dretired View Post
LFugate.. Look up(google ) the 2012 Ford F150 towing guide.. At the top of the screen you can look at towing specs ,payload specs ..etc for the different models that you have to choose from.. I wanted to go with a supercab , ecoboost, 6 1/2 box XLT.. but found out.. if i wanted to have the Max Payload pkg.. I would have to go with the supercrew instead ..I would also include the Max tow pkg..
Exactly right. Max Tow and Max Payload are entirely different things. The Max Payload is much more restrictive in terms of what configurations it is "packaged" with. Max Tow gets you some upgraded suspension but Max Payload gets you a heavier rear axle as well that is not in Max Tow.
Red Green coffee mugs
Old 12-12-2011, 09:01 AM   #86

Quote:
The whole Max payload and Max Tow is a little confusing. I've looked at the guide online, but then I thought I read where someone they had to get the longer bed to get Max Tow. I can't find in that guide where it spells out what each package includes. You have to build one and read each option?

Kinda silly you can't get the Max Payload with a Supercab isn't it?
Old 12-12-2011, 09:14 AM   #87

Just don't pull out to pass that older person driving 20 mph in a 30 zone holding back 20 or more cars and step on it.

The back end will squat and you'll bark the tires.
I'm running 265/70/17 Kelley Safari TSR's and accidently lit them up yesterday doing just that.
Old 12-12-2011, 09:20 AM   #88
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Yes, I don't get that. I think it may be because this is mostly a commercial market offering and that commercial vehicles will have the long bed. But that doesn't explain the SuperCrew offering . . . Yeah, I've been scratching my head about that one too. But SuperCrew's may be used by some commercial too; like railroads, etc.

I actually did a chat session with Ford about the increase in payload capacity in the Max Tow. If you compare regular towing package to max tow, the only extra things it mentions are different mirrors and upgraded bumper (which really means an upgraded hitch). So I asked why payload went up 500 pounds for no apparent reason. Turns out that there are suspension upgrades with the Max Tow that aren't spelled out anywhere. As near as I can determine, things like upgraded front suspension bushings, heavier rear springs, higher capacity rear axle. But those changes are not as significant as the changes with HD Payload; bigger ring gear, 7 lugs wheels, etc.
Red Green coffee mugs
Old 12-12-2011, 09:36 AM   #89

Supercab or Supercrew ??

Quote:
The whole Max payload and Max Tow is a little confusing. I've looked at the guide online, but then I thought I read where someone they had to get the longer bed to get Max Tow. I can't find in that guide where it spells out what each package includes. You have to build one and read each option?

LFugate.. From what i can figure... IF. you want a Supercrew model..say an XLT... you can get MAX PAYLOAD with a 6.5 foot box.. But a supercab would require a 8 ft box.. But dont confuse MAX PAYLOAD with MAX TOW PKG. they are 2 diffrent things.. IF I would order a 2012 F150. It would probably be a 2012 Super crew XLT, 3.5 Ecoboost, 3.73 limited slip, MAX PAYLOAD and MAX TOW PKG, 6.5 ft box . Hope this helps
Old 12-12-2011, 09:49 AM   #90

LFugate.. When you get a chance stop in at a Ford dealer and get a 2012 F 150 brochure.. And.. ask around... i would try an find the sales person in your area, that has ALL the info about these trucks..
Old 12-12-2011, 10:03 AM   #91

Quote:
LFugate.. From what i can figure... IF. you want a Supercrew model..say an XLT... you can get MAX PAYLOAD with a 6.5 foot box.. But a supercab would require a 8 ft box.. But dont confuse MAX PAYLOAD with MAX TOW PKG. they are 2 diffrent things.. IF I would order a 2012 F150. It would probably be a 2012 Super crew XLT, 3.5 Ecoboost, 3.73 limited slip, MAX PAYLOAD and MAX TOW PKG, 6.5 ft box . Hope this helps
Thanks for the explanantion. I'll stop by Ford one day and pickup (pun intended) a brochure.

I would order the same truck, but I really would prefer a shorter bed. I'll probably still going to hold off and see what 2013 brings. I have no big/long towing trips planned, so no rush right now.
Old 12-12-2011, 10:06 AM   #92

Quote:
Yes, I don't get that. I think it may be because this is mostly a commercial market offering and that commercial vehicles will have the long bed. But that doesn't explain the SuperCrew offering . . . Yeah, I've been scratching my head about that one too. But SuperCrew's may be used by some commercial too; like railroads, etc.

I actually did a chat session with Ford about the increase in payload capacity in the Max Tow. If you compare regular towing package to max tow, the only extra things it mentions are different mirrors and upgraded bumper (which really means an upgraded hitch). So I asked why payload went up 500 pounds for no apparent reason. Turns out that there are suspension upgrades with the Max Tow that aren't spelled out anywhere. As near as I can determine, things like upgraded front suspension bushings, heavier rear springs, higher capacity rear axle. But those changes are not as significant as the changes with HD Payload; bigger ring gear, 7 lugs wheels, etc.
So those enhancements aren't listed in the brochure? Another case of what the heck is Ford thinking
Old 12-12-2011, 10:48 AM   #93

Quote:
Thanks for the explanantion. I'll stop by Ford one day and pickup (pun intended) a brochure.

I would order the same truck, but I really would prefer a shorter bed. I'll probably still going to hold off and see what 2013 brings. I have no big/long towing trips planned, so no rush right now.
LFugate.. I Only hope.. that Ford can continue with the 2013 models and beyond to keep.. #1... the towing ..and #2 The payload ratings up .. while.. getting even better gas mileage.. Our government wants these trucks to improve in the mpgs a lot in the future.. and hope the companys.. dont have to sacrifice what we NEED in a tow vehicle...
Old 12-12-2011, 11:24 AM   #94

Make sure you find the right sales person. The last two vehicles I bought, the sales person knew less about them then I did. Wayne
wayne anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 12:14 PM   #95
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
So those enhancements aren't listed in the brochure? Another case of what the heck is Ford thinking
Well, yeah! These are important details to those of us trying to understand what we would be getting and whether it is something we want. Why wouldn't you list suspension upgrades? Or at least refer to upgrades if the details are deemed too technical. In my mind, these details should be there. It makes sense that an increased tow load is going to put more pressure on the front end with the WDH. So, those upgraded front end bushings are important. I would think it would help sell those packages. And an upgraded rear bumper? NO, it is an upgraded hitch; big difference. It is kind of "dumbed down" information IMO. I've seen pictures posted on F150 Forum which show the difference in the hitch between regular and max tow. Substantial differences.

Link http://www.f150forum.com/f38/regular...85747/index11/
Red Green coffee mugs
Old 12-12-2011, 03:15 PM   #96

The max tow is due in part to the extra leaf spring, the heavier rear gearing and the HD shock set up on the vehicle, as well as heavier suspension parts on the front.
But with that set up you loose some of your fuel economy through the different gearing.
Old 12-12-2011, 04:08 PM   #97
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilCop4523 View Post
The max tow is due in part to the extra leaf spring, the heavier rear gearing and the HD shock set up on the vehicle, as well as heavier suspension parts on the front.
But with that set up you loose some of your fuel economy through the different gearing.
Yes, and probably a little bit of your "ride" too . . . but my truck still rides better than my car! . . .
Red Green coffee mugs
Old 12-12-2011, 09:50 PM   #98
Villa Estate 392FLFB

well i smashed up my 07.. guy turned left infront of me oncoming... so tomorrow i find out my payout if its a write off.. might get that eco boost sooner then i though..
Old 12-12-2011, 11:24 PM   #99
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Stuff View Post
well i smashed up my 07.. guy turned left infront of me oncoming... so tomorrow i find out my payout if its a write off.. might get that eco boost sooner then i though..
Yikes! Well, that is ONE way of forcing the issue! Hope you are OK. That is the main thing. Machinery can be replaced.
Red Green coffee mugs
Old 12-14-2011, 12:18 PM   #100
Villa Estate 392FLFB

pic aint that great but over $6000 damage... still other then getting burned by the airbag, im glad that the F150 is a SAFE Truck!!

so far no luck finding a new reg cab xl long box with the eco boost... found a '11 4x4 for 25k with a normal v-6 but it seems the eco boosts are going into super cabs and crew cabs...

Also the 4 door regular cab is discontinued after 2008.. "access doors" they were called

anyone here have just a regular cab with the eco boost?