Old 10-18-2015, 05:40 PM   #31
There were major improvements by the big 3 truck manufacturers in 2008. More HP as well as torque plus a 6 sped transmissions. Our original TV was an 03 F150 with the standard tow package 3:73 gears etc. Pulled our 24 foot Wildwood OK but you could definately feel the strain as we pulled up some of the passes in the Rocky Mountains.
If you are OK with buying pre owned you can find some great deals especially on lease returns. We found a 2007 1/2 (basically an 08) Ram diesel and have not regretted upgrading from 1/2 to 3/4 ton, gas to diesel and the 4 to 6 speed auto with the engine brake.
The ride is just as smooth as the 150 and the towing capability plus peace of mind is well worth the change. IMHO If your planning to upgrade then really upgrade not just swap one 1/2 ton for another. You won't regret it!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	_MG_6421.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	391.8 KB
ID:	92062  

FR Wildwood 22 RKS
2007 1/2 Dodge 2500, Cummins 6.7
Retirement training completed
Currently enjoying second childhood
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 06:16 PM   #32
We recently were presented with the same issue. We have a 2000 Expedition that has the 4X4 5.4 L engine and heavy duty towing package. Factory specs. note a max tow capacity of 6900#. We also had a Coachmen TT that had a loaded weight of about 5000# which the Expedition handled OK. This Summer we upgraded campers to a 2009 Rockwood 8313SS which two slides and 'rated' dry weight of 6500#. I knew ahead of time that we would be close to the limits even if we kept to a minimum the stuff we loaded into the TT. The 100 mile trip on the way home was truly a white-knuckle experience with heat, high-winds, storms and heavy rain, etc. on the Friday before Labor Day. We stopped mid-way home at a truck stop and had the rig weighed and the unloaded trailer weight is actually 7100#. I believe that our loaded weight is about 8000# without scrimping.
Since we were in the market anyway for another vehicle and after much thought and research, we decided to upgrade tow vehicles. We located a 2013 4X2 F250, long-bed, crew cab pick-up that was involved in an estate. Since I'm conservative by nature and not wanting to possibly make a mistake by going with a properly-equipped F150, we bought the nicely equipped F250 for about the same price as the F150 as I'm willing to take a bit of a hit on gas mileage. We have now towed the TT about 100 miles with the 'new' truck and am so glad that we went for the bigger truck as it already has all of the heavy duty towing equipment plus the foldable and extendable mirrors and nice big back-up camera system that allows the driver, without any help, to back-up right under the TT hitch. We feel very safe in this combination of truck and TT. Towing gas mileage on this one trip averaged about 9 mpg. Solo the truck seems to get 17-18 mpg.
Don't take a chance. Go for the 3/4 truck. You won't be sorry.
R. Pittenger
Troy, OH

RPittenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 06:40 PM   #33
If you are going to stay with your current TT, then a 1/2 ton is all you need. I pulled a 32' Rockwood Ultra-lite with a 2012 RAM 1500 5.7 Hemi. No problems towing or stopping but to close to carrying capacity. Have upgraded to a 2015 F150 Ecoboost and have lots of room re: towing and carrying capacity. Pulls and stop with no problems. Either of these two would fit the bill for your current TT. If you are contemplating going bigger in the next year or two, then I would suggest you go with a 3/4 ton.
Marcel & Jenne
Kemptville, ON
2014 Rockwood 8282WS
2015 Ford F150 Eco-Boost
BusyRetirees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 07:34 PM   #34
The invoice shows 5,800 lbs... i assume that is a dry weight. Its usually just my wife, 2 year old, and I that go so we don't carry much stuff with us. I have 2 propane tanks and battery on the tongue.
Also, I appreciate all the concerns about using the WD hitch and doing 75 mph. Plz note, I DO use the WD hitch and don't do 75 mph. I was referring to the guy that picked up my TT for me when I bought it. I wasn't suggesting I liked the idea of running without a WD hitch, I was stating what I said to get at the point that I am wanting a truck that is heavy duty enough to pull the TT without issues, as his did it without a WD hitch. I will def. be utilizing my WD hitch and sway bar as they came with the TT so why not.
I am considering a diesel as well and my reasoning is that the truck will ONLY be used when pulling my 5,000lb boat or my TT. Its not a daily driver as we have another vehicle for that. So my thoughts are that diesels seem to get better fuel economy than gassers when pulling trailers and such, is this a fair assumption? Thanks again all. Very helpful with all your input
rhino_160 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 07:47 PM   #35
You are now entering the oil burner zone where maintenance is higher.

Great choice.

I got 10.1 this year towing the lite for 1600 mile trip to FT Stevens on the OR. coast and a few other places.
Much of the trip was up and down hills, truck is still under 40,000 so I need to get it broke in.

Trucks newer than mine have six speed transmissions so they do better than mine with a five speed.
2016 F350 6.7L LB CC Reese 28K 2014 Chaparral Lite 266sab
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." 2014 19 days camping 2015 17 days camping201620 days camping
Ford Idaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 08:04 PM   #36
Or if those will not be any better than the Navigator then:
Chevy 2500
GMC 2500
Any others?
Not looking for huge, no 1 tons, duallys, etc[/QUOTE]

we had a 2015 1500 Chevy 4X4 when we were pulling a 2015 Avenger 27rlss had the WDH and sway bars and it pulled great, then we began talking about looking into a 5th wheel, so we bought a 2015 Chevy 2500hd 4 x 4. Pulled the same Avenger trailer for a season and could tell a huge difference, the 2500 drove like it wasn't pulling a thing (this is not diesel but gas engine with a 6 1/2 foot bed) We love it. we now have a Surveyor 5th wheel and it pulls it as if there's nothing back there. love it still
My husband and I love Chevy or GMC, but I grew up in a Ford family. so really the make doesn't matter to me, it is what it is and you get what you need
ValMelton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 08:24 PM   #37
Site Team
Yes the diesels get much better fuel mileage when towing than gassers. There is more maintenance and they should not sit for long periods of time without running but nothing beats a diesel when towing.
<a href= target=_blank></a>
2014 Crew Cab Chevy Silverado 3500 4wd Duramax/Allison
2014 Sabre 34REQS-6
asquared is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 08:28 PM   #38
Originally Posted by asquared View Post
Yes the diesels get much better fuel mileage when towing than gassers. There is more maintenance and they should not sit for long periods of time without running but nothing beats a diesel when towing.
I'd sure like to know what the "more maintenance" is that everyone speaks of. I've had my diesel 2.5 years and have only opened the hood for oil changes. Not having to buy spark plugs gives me more beer money
David & Lynn
2014 Coachmen Chaparral Signature 327 RLKS
2016 Ford F350 Lariat CC Dually
davel1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 08:35 PM   #39
Been down your road before. I use to have a trailer about your weight and size and we had a Tundra. It has heavier frame and bigger brakes then the big 3 and no need for more power. But with the trailer on it was always shifting and on hills screaming. And when trucks passed or when it was windy(it's always windy in Texas) it was white knuckle time... So then we got a Dodge 2500.....night and day. I quit using the sway bar and it ran down the road smooth. Only shifted on the really steep hills but for the most part it would just drone down the highway. It towed awesome. Now when people start with the major cost of up keep then they never owned a diesel.....what up keep.... yes oil changes cost a little more but you only need to change it every 7000 miles not 3000. My oil changes cost me around $60-$70 so how much more is that??? And you have to change the fuel filter every 15K miles which cost around $70 I think. It is easy to put in yourself. And now fuel is almost as cheap as gas so that's not an issue. Along with the fact that the new trucks are now getting better fuel mileage. Do not buy a 2009-2012 Dodge cause they are fuel hogs.. And for some reason people think a diesel is harder to drive as your daily driver??????? This I don't get cause it's the same size as a 1500/150...Myself I have a dually and it is my daily driver, but then a lot of Texans drive duallies..... Your choice but hate to see you go cheap and buy a 1500/150 and still have the same problem. No an Eco Boost or even Dodges itty bitty diesel will help...yes it will pull it but with all the same problems you have now. Oh and did I mention you can drive the wheels off a diesel, no problem putting 300K miles on one.
From Central Texas
2014 Cedar Creek Silverback 29IK
2010 Dodge Laramie 3500 Dually
My Steelpony....2007 HD Ultra Classic...done up in a memorial to the 343 firefighters who died 9/11
Never Ever Forget....yes I was a Volunteer FF for 20 years........
steelpony5555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 08:40 PM   #40
"I am considering a diesel as well "
Go For It!! You know you want it! It's the best for towing and honestly, there is no big maintenance difference other than more oil when you do an oil change. Just stay off the diesel truck forums. You'll need a "buckzooka" to keep up with all the possible mods those gear heads come up with
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	_MG_0363.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	447.6 KB
ID:	92081  

FR Wildwood 22 RKS
2007 1/2 Dodge 2500, Cummins 6.7
Retirement training completed
Currently enjoying second childhood
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote

tow vehicle