Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-25-2016, 09:11 PM   #1

New tower, nervous about towing, tips?

My husband has been towing various vehicles basically his entire life. All I've towed is our 8ft popup once, and a 14ft v-hull boat less than a dozen times.

This 24ft Surveyor is making me a bit nervous. Not only am I very inexperienced at driving a rear-wheel vehicle (we've only had our truck since May), but towing something this long is a totally new experience for me.

So, do you have any tips for a new tower?

Most of the time, my husband will be doing the driving but we want to take longer trips that he won't be able to drive the entire way. I need to be comfortable doing it.

Are there any tips or tricks in trying to relax or be more comfortable with towing?
juhesihcaaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 09:15 PM   #2
Site Team

My wife had never towed anything in her life.
When we got our first popup, I'd let her drive it on the highway so she could get used to it.
Did the same thing when we got our HTT.
Now she has no fears towing it and pulling in and out of gas stations.

She still prefers me to do the backing up.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 09:27 PM   #3

Go to a local school parking lot on the weekend and drive around.
Goodyear Endurance Tires
Dr-G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 09:28 PM   #4

Find a big open parking lot that's unused and practice turning and stuff tree to get a feel of it before getting on the road. When contorble get on the highway before going down two lane roads
railroaderone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 10:02 PM   #5

Those are all very awesome tips. I think next week my husband and I will find a deserted parking lot to practice in. We luckily live in a very rural area so finding an empty lot should be easy.
juhesihcaaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 10:14 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Take it slow, leave extra distance between you and the vehicles in front of you. Remember the trailer will track narrower than your tow vehicle on turns so cut wider. I always stay to the outside lane if 2 turning lanes are available. On highways I try to stay in the middle lane to avoid people entering/exiting the highway but if you are below speed then stay in the right lane.

As stated above, practice driving forward and around turns in a empty school or shopping center parking lot. Practice backing straight lines and into spots on your right and left too. Then go out on the roads. Practice in back roads and main roads during off traffic times. Also once your mirrors are set have your dh walk around the trailer to help you learn your blind spots. I taught my dh how to drive a 30' tt and then our 40' fiver. I'm the primary driver. He is the backup driver. You can do it.
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 10:14 PM   #7

When backing, go slowly. Very slowly. Until you "get it".
Also, by placing your hand on the bottom of the steering wheel and pushing it in the direction you want the trailer to go, you will soon be comfortable with guiding the unit backwards. Best wishes
Travel safe

I Catch Fish......What is your SuperPower?
FordHauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 10:44 PM   #8

Just remember your braking distance is much greater with a load behind you so watch the traffic several vehicles in front and anticipate any slowdowns or stopping in traffic.
Camped 2016-71, 2017-33, 2018-29 booked
KT4W
BooBoo23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 12:05 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by juhesihcaaa View Post
Those are all very awesome tips. I think next week my husband and I will find a deserted parking lot to practice in. We luckily live in a very rural area so finding an empty lot should be easy.
Hmmm. Deserted parking lot. Camper. Spouse!
Equal-i-zer WDH (10k), Prodigy Brake Controller
thebrakeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 12:40 PM   #10
RiderBloke

I have yet to face this as the husband. My wife has only travelled shorter distances with me. One of my friends gets his wife used to it by getting her to drive on the freeway from one Rest Area to another. Gets you used to handling the rig on straight forward driving.
Habitat Care-a-Vanner
RiderBloke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 12:42 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiderBloke View Post
I have yet to face this as the husband. My wife has only travelled shorter distances with me. One of my friends gets his wife used to it by getting her to drive on the freeway from one Rest Area to another. Gets you used to handling the rig on straight forward driving.
Yep, that's where I'm at too, and first I look to make sure there's no construction going on, lol! Now that we're in a fifth wheel, I feel like I'm starting over again But it's all good!
2014 Wildwood 231RBXL - Traded Her In
2016 Days Camped = 5; Reserved = 14 so far
2015 Days Camped = 24 / 2014 Days Camped = 23
Mrs Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 12:43 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebrakeman View Post
Hahaha! Too funny!
Old 08-26-2016, 12:47 PM   #13

If you get into narrow roads, such as construction barriers, just keep your eyes down the center of road and your truck and trailer will be centered in the lane. Don't look to right or you will start drifting to right.
txredfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 12:48 PM   #14
RiderBloke

New tower, nervous about towing, tips?

No Mrs Evans, you are not starting all over again. Remember a fifth wheeler tows better than a TT and eg a 35ft fifth wheel is probably no longer than my 26RR TT which is 31 feet to ball plus the hitch sticks out a good foot from the TV.

Sent from my iPhone somewhere on the face of the earth using Tapatalk
Habitat Care-a-Vanner
Old 08-26-2016, 12:55 PM   #15

Quote:
No Mrs Evans, you are not starting all over again. Remember a fifth wheeler tows better than a TT and eg a 35ft fifth wheel is probably no longer than my 26RR TT which is 31 feet to ball plus the hitch sticks out a good foot from the TV.

Thanks! I'll keep that in mind, will have my opportunity soon as we have a trip planned at the end of October
Old 08-26-2016, 12:56 PM   #16

Dirty mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebrakeman View Post
But I like it. No way to stop trailer sway then.
pdqparalegal1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 01:06 PM   #17

Quote:

5th wheels and TT trail a little different in corners and behave a little different when backing up.
Jump some things to keep in mind. Not bad, just different.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
325BH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 01:14 PM   #18
Learning a lot as I go...

When I have the 30' TT on back I like to think I bring my A game. Part of that is looking and thinking ahead to what I need to do or where I need to be. Things do not happen as fast when towing (if you do it right otherwise they happen even faster ;-) ) so sometimes you need to start sooner.

Of course starting and stopping take more time and distance so I add buffer space to compensate.

The trailer will take a different line through corners than the truck. On straighter corners the difference is so small that you can forget about it. But as the turn gets sharper the difference gets bigger and you have to compensate by turning in later and taking a wider line through the corner in the truck. On city street type corners remember that your vehicle is not past the curb/pole/whatever until your trailer wheels pass that point. So you will feel W-A-Y past it in the truck. You cannot really start turning in these situations until you get to that point though.

This displaced turn point also comes into play for backing up and I am still learning to pull a lot further forward than I think/thought I needed to before beginning to back up.

For backing up I find it much easier to back to the left as I can see everything back there looking back out the window or mirror. This is why better/newer RV parks always have their back in spaces angled to this side.

Avoid driving at night until you have it all mastered. It sucks to not be able to see the trailer wheels on corners at night when you are still figuring out how much to compensate for length and tracking.

Take your time and do not be in a rush, drive slower than you would without the tow. Watch the trucks and take cues from them as to speeds and spaces.
stevejahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 02:03 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by txredfish View Post
If you get into narrow roads, such as construction barriers, just keep your eyes down the center of road and your truck and trailer will be centered in the lane. Don't look to right or you will start drifting to right.
This construction tip is valuable as is FordHaulers " hand on bottom of wheel when backing". Use your mirrors keeping track of passing vehicles- some trucks and semis will push or nudge more than others based on there design. Keeping track allows you to anticipate. Good truckers will widen out when passing. Road signs - pay attention to road signs- narrowing bridge, Lane ending. Get in right lane let others go around travel at speed where you "feel in control of vehicle"
Good luck
twoclaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 02:59 PM   #20
RiderBloke

Quote:
Originally Posted by txredfish View Post
Hmm. I disagree by about 3 feet. I think I was taught years ago the you look at the part of the road you want to go right under your backside (that's Aussie for 'between your eyes'); or alternately the part of the lane you focus on will go under your backside. In motorcycle terms you go where you look - you in a truck means you not so much the centre of the truck.
I use my bonnet (sorry 'hood') and its architectural features as things to line up with parts of the lane, especially in tight spots.
But do whatever works for you.
If necessary ask a kindly friend to follow you and tell you where in the lane you are travelling.
It's worth remembering that the left hand side of the truck & rig is the side you can best judge as to how close to cement barriers etc you are. Many people make sure they avoid the LH side barriers but fail to realize how close they are consequently to the RH side barriers!
The adjustment of mirrors helps greatly in all this. Don't point all the mirrors at what's behind you, just one will do for that or a reverse camera.
My 2 ¢ worth 3 times over.
Habitat Care-a-Vanner

Tags
towing