Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-22-2015, 12:51 AM   #1

New toy made it home!!

Finally got my new Vibe 268RKS home. Had to bring it home on a regular draw bar and ball as the Equal-i-zer 4 point hitch wasnt ready to go yet. Needless to say it was a wee bit tense with a 4 hour drive and a good side wind! Back end of the trailer and truck did quit a dance on me, white knuckle drive as I have never towed a trailer this big! Installing the Equalizer next week then hopefully will be a lot more fun on the next trip!! Click image for larger version

Name:	2015-05-18 14.44.52.jpg
Views:	357
Size:	310.7 KB
ID:	77683

Click image for larger version

Name:	2015-05-18 19.41.39.jpg
Views:	290
Size:	327.7 KB
ID:	77684

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_1963.jpg
Views:	272
Size:	494.5 KB
ID:	77685
Old 05-22-2015, 02:13 AM   #2

Congratulations!! Will you be taking the trailer out this weekend?
mbCik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 03:27 AM   #3
Just a member

Very nice rig-congrats! Peace of mind: I need to get that WDH system installed before I venture back out onto the highway!

kandl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 12:50 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbCik View Post
Congratulations!! Will you be taking the trailer out this weekend?
Not till the end of the month, as I have a few things I want to do to it. Sitting in my driveway now (all 35 feet 3 inches of it) and time to trick it out! (extend bed, back up camera, outside temp gauge, install WD hitch, etc...) fun!!!!
Old 05-22-2015, 12:59 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by kandl View Post
Very nice rig-congrats! Peace of mind: I need to get that WDH system installed before I venture back out onto the highway!
Ya, really scared the poop out of me towing it without a WDH! Had a mind of its own back there... the tail was really wagging the dog! I am told that once the WDH is installed and fully set up, its a world of difference!
Old 05-22-2015, 09:36 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingdreamer View Post
.... time to trick it out! (extend bed, back up camera, outside temp gauge, install WD hitch, etc...) fun!!!!
We are getting our new TT ready also. Pumped more grease into the spindles (while turning the tires), adjusted the brakes, checked the wheel bearings for slop, checked the lugnuts. All the stuff you take for granted but have to know for yourself. And yes, it is fun.
Old 05-22-2015, 10:10 PM   #7
Just a member

Quote:
I am told that once the WDH is installed and fully set up, its a world of difference!
Indeed, like night to day. In fact, I'm surprised the seller let you take it like that. Well... not really surprised but certainly disappointed.

kandl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 02:58 PM   #8

Nice... got mine too a month ago and had it out last week for the "proving run" where I took my time & operated/tested all the systems (except the heater). Everything worked great except the water heater on electric mode... couldn't find the d*": switch (left the paperwork & manuals sitting on the counter at home). I'm sure it's there! Rain checked OK too down here in Texas! Going again as soon as it dries out!

Get that hitch on... mine pulls like a dream!

Have you decided on what kind of backup camera system/installation yet? That's one of my goals too after the tire/temp monitor system!

2016 Vibe 268RKS
2015 Chev 2500 HD
Mewcasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 06:00 PM   #9

Quote:
Indeed, like night to day. In fact, I'm surprised the seller let you take it like that. Well... not really surprised but certainly disappointed.

I agree They should not of let you leave like that period. Just stupid - lucky you didnt have an accident!!

2006 Honda Goldwing
2012 Toyota Tundra DC s(sold)
2015 Cherokee Grey wolf 19RR Limited
2017 F150 Super Crew 3.5eb 5.5
bluewoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 12:42 PM   #10

WDH and sway bar is a necessity, but don't take it for granted either. Strong crosswinds and/or buffer winds created by semi's passing you, can still whiten the knuckles (as I have learned twice this year already). My dealer set me out on the fifth link of the chains, but I tightened up to the 6th to help keep the front of the TV down more. Just remember you are on holidays each time you go, so take her slow and steady (or wait for the winds to calm down).
wpgman19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 07:06 AM   #11

I tow a 30' Surveyor 303 with a Dodge 1500 Laramie and an Equalizer sway system that came with the trailer I purchased used tree years ago. I have been happy with the lack of swayuntil this year when I had Firestone air springs installed on the Rams rear coil spring suspension. The Equalizer was adjusted when purchased to my Ram and I was told by RV Service center, who installed the air springs, that the Equalizer was fine and did not require re-adjusting. The issue is it seems a little more squirrely now with the air springs, that were supposed to make it more stable andtake the sag out of the Ram. The slight squat is now gone and they put 40 ilbs of air in the air springs. After 500 miles, I dropped the air pressure to 20 lbs. and there is still no squat and marginal improvement. I am not saying there is a lot of sway, but it isn't quite as good as before and improves when I reduce my speed to 60MPH, which is the speed I intend to use. I also applied some lubricant to the underside of the Equalizer sockets, I don't know what else to call them, that is the front receivers for the bars under the hitch and a slight amount to the hitch ball. none to the rear of the Equalizer. Could that be the culprit? I was told lubing those points would not effect performance, but the rear section of the bar would. Is there any set pressure for the air springs? I also modified the trailer this year by removing a couch & bunk from the rear 6ft, slide and installing a wardrobe cabinet for my wifes clothing and two stacked cabinets for supplies. on the opposite side of the trailer I opened up a cabinet area and had a Spledide washer dryer combo installed. I have tried to balance the minor, I believe, increase in weight just behind the double axle by loading heavier stores in the forward bed storage area. I believe I am lighter over all from my first two years of use, both in the Ram bed and the trailer by eliminating items we didn't really need, you have to know my wife, and also moving items from my father-in-laws home in western NY to Florida. In year one with 5 year old Marathons, I found out the hard way about replacing tires at 65 on I80. Even then, I didn't initially know I had blown a tire and there was virtually no sway.
I know that is a lot of information, but also know there could be many contributing factors. Any thoughts would be appreciated, but the ride is generally good, but somewhat disappointing with what I thought would be a better improvement.
2014 Sebastian Charleston,SC to Finger Lakes, Lake Erie, Lake Cowanesque,PA and home
2015 Sebastian to PA,NY,WI,MN,return to NY and home
2016 GA,SC,NC,TN,KY,OH,PA,NY,to Sebastian,FL
WSY DD693 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 10:23 AM   #12

Hi WSY- The air springs are effectively removing down force on your Equalizer which would affect handling. I would call Equalizer and get their opinion about using the air lift. I would think the hitch will have to be readjusted with the amount of air in the springs, which probably will be minimal, you will be towing with. Unfortunately I bought an Air Lift system for my Silverado thinking that was what I needed to tow. It turned out I didn't need it at all, although they are nice to have. The Equalizer I bought was set up with the minimum of 10 lbs of air in the bags, I followed the instructions which are pretty good.
Brewhedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 11:51 AM   #13

Thank you Brewhedd. The air springs were necessary, according to reliable sources, because the rear of my 1500 was squatting somewhat from the bed load and trailer.
I will take your advice and also lower the PSI to 10lbs tomorrow for a test run. My next site is only an hour north on US 15, which is a good four lane interstate from PA to NY.
PS Tompkins Army Corp Cowanesque Lake is right on the NY border north of Williamsport and just south of Corning, NY and is a great site for only $10.00 a night if you have a senior pass.
2014 Sebastian Charleston,SC to Finger Lakes, Lake Erie, Lake Cowanesque,PA and home
2015 Sebastian to PA,NY,WI,MN,return to NY and home
2016 GA,SC,NC,TN,KY,OH,PA,NY,to Sebastian,FL
WSY DD693 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 07:08 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mewcasa View Post
Nice... got mine too a month ago and had it out last week for the "proving run" where I took my time & operated/tested all the systems (except the heater). Everything worked great except the water heater on electric mode... couldn't find the d*": switch (left the paperwork & manuals sitting on the counter at home). I'm sure it's there! Rain checked OK too down here in Texas! Going again as soon as it dries out!

Get that hitch on... mine pulls like a dream!

Have you decided on what kind of backup camera system/installation yet? That's one of my goals too after the tire/temp monitor system!

2016 Vibe 268RKS
2015 Chev 2500 HD
The switch for the hot water heater is waaaay down low on the back, near the bottom of the hot water heater, BEHIND a sticker under the pipe. The best I can tell you. Let me know if you dont find it and I will send you a pic.
Old 06-29-2015, 08:50 AM   #15

Water Heater Switch

Quote:
The switch for the hot water heater is waaaay down low on the back, near the bottom of the hot water heater, BEHIND a sticker under the pipe. The best I can tell you. Let me know if you dont find it and I will send you a pic.
Yep... Found it hidden under the tape! Thanks!
Mewcasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 09:08 AM   #16

Great, but I cant take the credit.... the sales guy at the dealership found it for me 'cause I couldnt find it either...
Old 06-29-2015, 09:11 AM   #17

Quote:

looking back, yes, I agree... Will never pull a big trailer without the WDH on it again! I have the Equalizer 4 point on there now and its awesome!!!