Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-10-2013, 02:34 PM   #1

New Trailer Set up

Just went and picked up my new trailer today I have had one before but I have never had to set up my WD hitch. Just curious what some of you that have been doing this for a while think? It looks good to me but I thought I would put it out there for everyone to have a look at and tell me what they think. Thanks, Jake
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2013-09-10 13.46.38.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	56.0 KB
ID:	39521   Click image for larger version

Name:	2013-09-10 13.47.11.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	54.1 KB
ID:	39522   Click image for larger version

Name:	2013-09-10 13.47.44.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	55.4 KB
ID:	39523   Click image for larger version

Name:	2013-09-10 13.47.58.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	55.3 KB
ID:	39524  
ffwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 02:37 PM   #2
Experienced Newbie

Looks Ok to me. However, is the camper loaded for camping or empty? If empty you may need to readjust the hitch again.

2011 Silverado CC/SB
2014 Cougar 31SQB
mhartzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 02:54 PM   #3

This link might help;
How to Setup a Weight Distributing Hitch | eHow

If your present hook up measures out like this then you should be OK.

Always check when the whole rig (truck and trailer) is loaded and ready to go. When loading the tow vehicle, keep it level. Also don't put a lot of weight in the rear of the travel trailer. Keep the recommended tongue weight as close as possible. Me I tend to error on the heavier side of the recommendation. Just by a little.
Old 09-10-2013, 03:07 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Its hard to tell from the pictures because they're at an angle but the attitude shots look okay for both the trailer and the TV. But, here are some questions:

How did the before and after front and rear wheel well measurements come out? Were they within the specs given in the Equal-i-zer manual and also in line with Chevy's recommendations (especially for the front wheel well)?

Have you weighed the tongue weight and how is that relative to the fully loaded trailer?

How was the test drive? Any tail wagging the dog? Was the steering solid or did the steering feel floaty?

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 03:52 PM   #5

The setup looks good visually. Some small adjustments. The L brackets should be at right angles to the trailer frame. I think the driver side is off a bit. The equalizer brackets will tend to walk (creep) along the frame if not tightened to spec. Also check if you have at least 3" of overhang from end of bar to L bracket.(hard to tell from pics)

Looks like your setup is good ... now to weigh the rig for final confirmation
Prodigy P3, E2 WDH
rschoono289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 10:07 PM   #6

The trailer doesnt have everything in it yet and I Know that I might have to adust it when I do. My front wheel well measurement only changed a half inch with no wd hitch hooked up. I have only taken it around the block with the new hitch hooked up because my brake controler decided to crap out on me. I will take it out tomorrow for a drive and see how it does.
ffwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 12:25 AM   #7

You are at the top of that stinger and if it were mine, I would flip it for ground clearance. Other than that, listen to everyone else about the actual setup, once you get the load on it will be different, especially with fresh water and any waste if there are no dumps.

2014 Rockwood Roo 233s, PI HW30-C, Equalizer 10k 4 way hitch,
Grizzlygibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 04:10 AM   #8

Load up the trailer, and put enough weight in the bed to simulate an average trip. Take your measurements then and visually look to see angles of the brackets and the trailer itself.

2008 F150 FX4 5.4L & 3.73s
2014 PTM Tracer 3200BHT
Yes...I've finally made it to Prime Time!
Mister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 01:13 PM   #9

The look is the easy part. Trailer looks level (but you should check with measurement from road to frame, front and back. Should with within 1", or maybe a bit more for that long trailer. Weight bars look parallel to trailer A-frame...check.

You want to measure the wheel well heights 3 times. No trailer, with trailer (WDH not engage), and with trailer (WDH engaged). The optimal goal is to have the 3rd front measurement the same as the 1st front measurement. Any less (higher front measurement), and you will have less front wheel stability than you should.
Equal-i-zer WDH (10k), Prodigy Brake Controller
thebrakeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 02:10 PM   #10

I also suggest having the trailer rake/tip/lean forward/towards the TV a little. An inch or so is plenty. A trailer with the tongue up higher will have a greater tendency of wandering or swaying... It doesn't need to be much rake but some is preferred, IMO at least...

TV- 2015 Ram 2500 CCLB 6.7 Cummins 3.42 gears
Camper - 2015 Saber 322BHTS
avolnek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 08:44 PM   #11

Check the hitch instructions to make, but to me, the angle of the ball is too close to vertical. The top of ball should slant toward the trailer. This angle makes the trailer track better behind the TV and will help reduce the sway.

2008 Chevy Silverado 2500 Duramax Crewcab
Jeep Commander - sold
Flagstaff V-Lite WRB26
kz08h5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 09:10 PM   #12
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triguy View Post
Its hard to tell from the pictures because they're at an angle but the attitude shots look okay for both the trailer and the TV. But, here are some questions:

How did the before and after front and rear wheel well measurements come out? Were they within the specs given in the Equal-i-zer manual and also in line with Chevy's recommendations (especially for the front wheel well)?

Have you weighed the tongue weight and how is that relative to the fully loaded trailer?

How was the test drive? Any tail wagging the dog? Was the steering solid or did the steering feel floaty?
Ahh yes Triguy your always on the ball with this hitch stuff!X2
Im anal about this kind of stuff, gotta be perfect as i can get it!

Zelda the campin dog
Platokidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 09:17 PM   #13
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebrakeman View Post
The look is the easy part. Trailer looks level (but you should check with measurement from road to frame, front and back. Should with within 1", or maybe a bit more for that long trailer. Weight bars look parallel to trailer A-frame...check.

You want to measure the wheel well heights 3 times. No trailer, with trailer (WDH not engage), and with trailer (WDH engaged). The optimal goal is to have the 3rd front measurement the same as the 1st front measurement. Any less (higher front measurement), and you will have less front wheel stability than you should.
X2 The finer points the frame pitch/measerments great job pointing that out. All good stuff.
*chevys wheel well no lower in front then stock!
More good stuff off the forum. For really dialing it in!
Forest River Forums - Downloads - How I weigh a Travel Trailer

Zelda the campin dog
Old 09-12-2013, 09:22 PM   #14
Arn
Arn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triguy View Post

Yup. I'd also like to add that given the length of the trailer you might want to consider sway control. Pay attention to passing trucks, wind shear & wind gusts & if any of them give you an "Oh Oh" feeling for even a second it's time to spend that little bit extra.
Old 09-12-2013, 09:37 PM   #15
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ffwood View Post
The trailer doesnt have everything in it yet and I Know that I might have to adust it when I do. My front wheel well measurement only changed a half inch with no wd hitch hooked up. I have only taken it around the block with the new hitch hooked up because my brake controler decided to crap out on me. I will take it out tomorrow for a drive and see how it does.
I would be more concerned that the front wheel well is back to stock height with bars on. Seeing how your not loaded I would guess your gonna need 1 more washer at least when all is said and done.

Carl

Zelda the campin dog
Old 09-12-2013, 10:19 PM   #16
Professional Texan

The set up is simple, follow the equalizer hitch set up instruction to the letter and in order as listed. Don't get ahead of the procedure.

TexasBob is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
trailer