Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-25-2014, 08:30 AM   #21

Sometimes these forums crack me up with the "my ____ is better than yours because ____" posts. Everyone is going to have different experiences. You simply need to know your limits is my point. For me, I have a trailer that weighs less than 6,000 lbs when fully loaded and towing it with a vehicle that is rated for 9,300 lbs. I dont tow long distance very often (usually within 2 hours) and I dont tow 30K miles a year. In 2 years my truck only has 15K miles on it (I dont use it every day for work, have a commuter vehicle). (General statement directed at no one specifically because I dont know anyone elses set up). If you are trying to tow a 10K lb trailer with a vehicle rated for 9K lbs, do you really expect it to last as long as the guy who has the same truck but only tows 6K lbs??? A truck that never tows will last longer than the truck that tows 5K lbs and that truck will last longer than the truck towing 8K lbs and that truck will last longer than the truck towing 10K lbs etc etc etc. Just my 2 cents based on how I operate. My speedometer says my truck can go 120 miles per hour, but it doesnt mean I am going to, and if I do, I dont expect that the parts and pieces will last very long

Old 09-25-2014, 08:42 AM   #22
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustman_stx View Post
You have noted that you allow the truck to just slow as you go up inclines. If you want to maintain speed you WILL have to rev a naturally aspirated V8 engine to get to it's peak torque, which is in the low 4K range on most of them. Anyone towing with a V8 that is willing to be honest knows that.
My thoughts are 'why should I rev the engine just to maintain speed for the convenience of someone I don't know and doesn't pay for my truck? Semi's sure don't, so why should I, just so I can brag I went up Mt. ? @ 60mph? I can also change camshafts, timing and mod the engine, change rear ends, but I choose not to. Did all that stuff years ago. Not trying to impress anyone, just going camping and enjoying what time we have left at a leisurely pace.
Old 09-25-2014, 09:26 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semperfi24 View Post
Sometimes these forums crack me up with the "my ____ is better than yours because ____" posts. Everyone is going to have different experiences. You simply need to know your limits is my point. For me, I have a trailer that weighs less than 6,000 lbs when fully loaded and towing it with a vehicle that is rated for 9,300 lbs. I dont tow long distance very often (usually within 2 hours) and I dont tow 30K miles a year. In 2 years my truck only has 15K miles on it (I dont use it every day for work, have a commuter vehicle). (General statement directed at no one specifically because I dont know anyone elses set up). If you are trying to tow a 10K lb trailer with a vehicle rated for 9K lbs, do you really expect it to last as long as the guy who has the same truck but only tows 6K lbs??? A truck that never tows will last longer than the truck that tows 5K lbs and that truck will last longer than the truck towing 8K lbs and that truck will last longer than the truck towing 10K lbs etc etc etc. Just my 2 cents based on how I operate. My speedometer says my truck can go 120 miles per hour, but it doesnt mean I am going to, and if I do, I dont expect that the parts and pieces will last very long

My sentiments exactly!!! I am with you 100% I tow a 28.5 ft. 5th wheel that weighs in at 9875 lbs. and tow with a 1 ton dually and that is what I like. and not by any ones else's opinion period!! I am perfectly happy with what I have it will last me until I pass. I also don't drive it as a daily driver I have a Ford ranger for that until it dies. Then will buy a small beater car for work won't say what kind don't care it is what it is. If god forbids I happen to have a accident and total the dually I will buy another one of any brand that I think will work for me. Whatever works is fine by me.

2001 Ford F-350 DRW 7.3
2011 25 RL Wildcat
former fiver 1976 Fourwinds had for 35 years
onetonford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 09:34 AM   #24
fx2

Quote:

I completely agree. What another poster fails to realize is that everyone's experience is different. While I was 3000 lbs under Ford's published tow capacity, I firmly believe that either a) My trailer was too much for the EB or b) there was something abnormally wrong with my EB (Ford adamantly disagreed with this assessment but my experience is far outside of what some owners, like Dustman, report)

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
2002 Ford F250 7.3l 4x4
fx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 09:41 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by holtbv62 View Post
So far my 2014 Ram Laramie Longhorn Cummins 6.7 pulls my XLR 415amp like a dream. I've got the speed limit alert set on the Navigation system for 10mph over the speed limit. I'm always being reminded that the "speed limit is 65mph". I've been avg'ing 13-14 mpg on mileage.

Attachment 63504

Hello. What gears do you have in your Ram?

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 09:43 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by fx2 View Post
I completely agree. What another poster fails to realize is that everyone's experience is different. While I was 3000 lbs under Ford's published tow capacity, I firmly believe that either a) My trailer was too much for the EB or b) there was something abnormally wrong with my EB (Ford adamantly disagreed with this assessment but my experience is far outside of what some owners, like Dustman, report)

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
I'm not trying to step on toes. I'm simply pointing out that your experience with your Ecoboost is WAY outside the norm of what's being reported. And, if you continue to get the mileage you currently report with your 3/4 ton hemi, you are getting WAY better mileage than the vast majority of other owners report with that combo. Your posts indicate to me that your run in with Ford is causing you to want to overly praise the new Dodge just to kind of stick it to Ford. I don't know the story on your EB or the problems you had. But when you give reports for the EB and the Hemi that are WAY outside of the norm, it seems as though you have a little beef and/or agenda. Sorry if I don't take what someone says on an internet forum as the "truth, whole truth, and nothing but the truth."
dustman_stx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 09:49 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
My thoughts are 'why should I rev the engine just to maintain speed for the convenience of someone I don't know and doesn't pay for my truck? Semi's sure don't, so why should I, just so I can brag I went up Mt. ? @ 60mph? I can also change camshafts, timing and mod the engine, change rear ends, but I choose not to. Did all that stuff years ago. Not trying to impress anyone, just going camping and enjoying what time we have left at a leisurely pace.
You shouldn't and I wasn't trying to imply that you should drive a certain way. My personal opinion is that most drivers want to be able to maintain speed or close to speed when climbing grades. To do that in a V8 truck with a substantial sized RV you WILL have to rev to get that V8 into it's torque curve.
Old 09-25-2014, 10:00 AM   #28

Quote:
Sometimes these forums crack me up with the "my ____ is better than yours because ____" posts.
I went back and reread my posts and nowhere have I stated that what I have is better. I have made a few simple points in response to some other comments which are:

1. A point was made about the longevity of the EB under boost conditions. I pointed out that a V8 has to rev to substantially higher RPMs than the EB to maintain speed on grades which is also hard on a drivetrain as well. If you are familiar with torque curves and forced induction you will understand why this is.

2. The fuel mileage being reported by fx2 is WAY off from the average reports from other owners. MOST people report a non towing average of 16ish from the EB, while V8 3/4 tons are typically producing averages in the 12 range. They should get similar numbers while towing. Maybe his EB number includes lots of towing mileage and his Hemi number is highway driving????
Old 09-25-2014, 10:11 AM   #29

I made no specific reference to anyone's post when making my point. I was pointing out that generally, these conversations turn into a pi$$ing contest and it cracks me up. Go read the dozens of threads on here about which manufacturer is better. Is diesel or gas better? Is it better to have a blue ox or equalizer hitch? Etc. if there can possibly be 2 opposing views on a topic, this conversation will come about.

I have an EB and love it. I have seen as high as 24 mpg on a tank of fuel (700+ miles). I generally get about 12 when I am towing. If I were to take sides, I would side with the EB every time. But my comment wasn't about that. Which is why I didn't specify what I drive in my post. I believe my profile and signature says I have the EB, but it wasn't important for my point

Old 09-25-2014, 10:23 AM   #30

Quote:
I made no specific reference to anyone's post when making my point. I was pointing out that generally, these conversations turn into a pi$$ing contest and it cracks me up. Go read the dozens of threads on here about which manufacturer is better. Is diesel or gas better? Is it better to have a blue ox or equalizer hitch? Etc. if there can possibly be 2 opposing views on a topic, this conversation will come about.

I have an EB and love it. I have seen as high as 24 mpg on a tank of fuel (700+ miles). I generally get about 12 when I am towing. If I were to take sides, I would side with the EB every time. But my comment wasn't about that. Which is why I didn't specify what I drive in my post. I believe my profile and signature says I have the EB, but it wasn't important for my point
I agree 100% with what you said here. I actually have very little brand loyalty. I get a HUGE kick out of people that are fiercely brand loyal but can't tell you why. My comments made here were not because I feel the need to bash anyone that doesn't think MY truck is the greatest thing ever. At the same time, I do like to defend the facts. And the fact is that it would be extremely unlikely that anyone would get better mileage with a 5.7 3/4 ton than they did from a 1/2 ton EB IF they are doing the same kind of driving. You are actually getting considerably better mileage with your EB than I do. I get around 18ish on the highway, but I am running XL load range 20's. My mothers would get 21-22 with P rated 18's, everything else pretty much identical.
Old 09-25-2014, 10:31 AM   #31
fx2

Quote:
I'm not trying to step on toes. I'm simply pointing out that your experience with your Ecoboost is WAY outside the norm of what's being reported. And, if you continue to get the mileage you currently report with your 3/4 ton hemi, you are getting WAY better mileage than the vast majority of other owners report with that combo. Your posts indicate to me that your run in with Ford is causing you to want to overly praise the new Dodge just to kind of stick it to Ford. I don't know the story on your EB or the problems you had. But when you give reports for the EB and the Hemi that are WAY outside of the norm, it seems as though you have a little beef and/or agenda. Sorry if I don't take what someone says on an internet forum as the "truth, whole truth, and nothing but the truth."
Yes, I absolutely had a run in with Ford, worst auto company I have ever dealt with. The Eco Boost was great to tow with for a while, though I would not say that I could climb hills AND maintain speed in the 2k-2.5k RPM range. I could climb it at 2,200 RPM but I would not maintain speed, it would absolutely slow down. If I wanted to maintain speed I was at or above 3k RPM's.

I don't expect that I will continue to get 16 MPG in my Ram (which by the way is now at 15.8 MPG according to the lie-o-meter). The 13.8 on my EB did not include towing MPG (which were right around 9.8/9.9 average over 7k miles - I never could break the 10 MPG average towing).

Here is where you and I disagree - In my experience the EcoBoost cannot do everything Ford claims it can do and last. 28k miles and having cracks in the aluminum heads is simply not reliable. Ford reasoning for it? Not trailer weight, not tongue weight, it was "wind resistance". So yes, I am probably overly critical of Ford and the EB but is based solely on my experience with it.
Old 09-25-2014, 10:38 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by fx2 View Post
Yes, I absolutely had a run in with Ford, worst auto company I have ever dealt with. The Eco Boost was great to tow with for a while, though I would not say that I could climb hills AND maintain speed in the 2k-2.5k RPM range. I could climb it at 2,200 RPM but I would not maintain speed, it would absolutely slow down. If I wanted to maintain speed I was at or above 3k RPM's.

I don't expect that I will continue to get 16 MPG in my Ram (which by the way is now at 15.8 MPG according to the lie-o-meter). The 13.8 on my EB did not include towing MPG (which were right around 9.8/9.9 average over 7k miles - I never could break the 10 MPG average towing).

Here is where you and I disagree - In my experience the EcoBoost cannot do everything Ford claims it can do and last. 28k miles and having cracks in the aluminum heads is simply not reliable. Ford reasoning for it? Not trailer weight, not tongue weight, it was "wind resistance". So yes, I am probably overly critical of Ford and the EB but is based solely on my experience with it.
I have a good friend that had MAJOR issues with getting Ford to cover warranty work on a 6.0PSD he had, so I know that it can happen. Haven't heard of any other issues with heads on the EB, but I'll dig around and see if any others have had that issue. What gears did you have in the EB and what speed were you trying to maintain? I have 3.55's and I run around 21 or 2200 in 5th at 65 and 2800 or so when it drops to 4th. Never had to catch 3rd to pull a hill, which would be the only way I'd go over 3K.
Old 09-25-2014, 10:41 AM   #33
fx2

Talking

Quote:
I have a good friend that had MAJOR issues with getting Ford to cover warranty work on a 6.0PSD he had, so I know that it can happen. Haven't heard of any other issues with heads on the EB, but I'll dig around and see if any others have had that issue. What gears did you have in the EB and what speed were you trying to maintain? I have 3.55's and I run around 21 or 2200 in 5th at 65 and 2800 or so when it drops to 4th. Never had to catch 3rd to pull a hill, which would be the only way I'd go over 3K.
It was the Max Tow so 3.73's. Hills I would try to maintain 50-55, never went over 60 towing with it. Maybe if I would have kept it at 50-55 on flat lands I would have broke 10 MPG towing
Old 09-25-2014, 10:49 AM   #34

I have the 3.55 and do most of my driving at highway speed, and that gets me 22mpg in the summer and 19.5mpg in the winter (typically)

Around town it is more like 16 in the summer and 12 in the winter

When towing I just put it in tow/haul and never go over 62-63 if possible. Ford says you can shut off the tow/haul on flat terrain to increase mileage but I just feel more comfortable in tow/haul rather than trying to remember to switch it if I get to a hill. If I am towing on mostly flat terrain that is where I see the 12 mpg but that is best case scenario. Last month I towed from MD to NH and back and it was 10.5mpg towing (about 1000 miles round trip). Not sure how that stacks up with other EB owners

Old 09-25-2014, 12:03 PM   #35

I bought a Ford stx with the 5.0 and 3.55 rear. The STX was not available with ecoboost. I would have had to move up to the xlt or FX2 to get it and I did not feel it was worth the extra $8,000.00 I haven't been out of Florida with it, so the tallest grade I have pulled over was a dead possum.

2015 Rockwood 2703ws
Rockwoodjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 12:11 PM   #36
fx2

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe wessling View Post
the tallest grade I have pulled over was a dead possum.
Old 09-25-2014, 12:37 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwannacamp View Post
Hello. What gears do you have in your Ram?

4.11:1 rear end. 6 speed automatic. Cummins 6.7l V6 Diesel.

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...el-test-review
Old 09-25-2014, 01:42 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by holtbv62 View Post
4.11:1 rear end. 6 speed automatic. Cummins 6.7l V6 Diesel.

2014 Ram 2500 HD Crew Cab 4x4 Diesel Test – Review – Car and Driver
V6?
goduc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 01:45 PM   #39

Throwing out mpg numbers when towing is not a very good barometer. Unless someone tows the same roads with the same truck/trailer combination then it really meaningless. A guy towing a 7500lb TT in Co isn't going to get the same mpg as the guy towing 5500lbs in Fl.
goduc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 01:55 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by goduc View Post
Throwing out mpg numbers when towing is not a very good barometer. Unless someone tows the same roads with the same truck/trailer combination then it really meaningless. A guy towing a 7500lb TT in Co isn't going to get the same mpg as the guy towing 5500lbs in Fl.
Yep. And the guy that likes to get his truck and trailer to 65 ASAP will get much worse than the guy easing into it and running 55. I think most people have a REALLY hard time driving how they normally do when checking mileage, too.

Tags
truck