Old 07-11-2013, 01:01 AM   #11

if the public scales are closed, I have yet to come accross one that is actually turned off and not working.

our first trip out we avoided the coq just to make sure everything was set up properly (mine was not) and the scale told me how bad it was

Nights camped in 2015 - 20
Ditchooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 06:51 PM   #12

Also, watch what you put in the new camper. People new to owning campers tend to put everything but the kitchen sink in it. We did this with our first camper. We now have a 5th wheel and we haven't loaded 1/4 of what we had in our last one.

Just my 2 cents. Enjoy your new camper! Camping is awesome! :-)

2017 Ford F350 PSD
GlenZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 06:57 PM   #13
Fulltime family RVer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sullione View Post
Like a good friend of mine told me yesterday don't rush yourself and give yourself plenty of time to get where you need to go. If it takes 3.5hr by car dont expect to do it in 4.5 with the trailer.
Even with plenty of truck - this is still sound advice.

Good luck and have fun!
Old 07-18-2013, 12:09 AM   #14

So I ended up taking it Ina nice long tow. It took some getting used to and there is no doubt that it is there but things went well. The truck definitely has to work her butt off and it shows on my fuel economy gauge. I knew before getting into the process that this setup would not be something I would be taking too far from home anytime soon.

Wife wouldn't let me get a popup and considering we just bought our truck in June we have to work with what we have. Thanks for all the advice. The contributors on here are fantastic !!!
Old 07-18-2013, 12:20 AM   #15
Fulltime family RVer

Congrats! I remember my first pulls with my pop-up (19' tip to bumper) and remembering the thrill of hitting the road for the first time! I analyzed every bump and jerk and feeling. I'm sure I even imagined my share of them. But in time, towing became second nature and then we upgraded...

Now that you have the truck and camper, go get weighed!

It'll be a very eye opening experience and getting over the mental challenge of weighing will help you dial-in your WDH as you load up the trailer.

If you get weighed, post the numbers here and we can help you dissect 'em.
Old 07-18-2013, 09:14 AM   #16

First Tow

This is a short story about towing my wife's Sunnybrook for the first time back in 2006. This was her unit and 2500HD tow truck and the coach had not been out on the road for a couple of years. Not being familiar with TT, I did exactly what she told me to do. Yes we made it to our destination and back home. The instructions given her by her dealership were all wrong and the combination had been hooked up that way for many trips previously. Soon found out my an expert hitch installer on how to correctly hook up the coach and truck, along with a new hitch and sway bars. Up until we purchased the new Crusader 270RET, we have been on close to 30 trips all over the place with never another problem. Always get advice from an expert if all else fails. The front A Arm Bushings on the 2500HD truck were completely FLAT before the new hitch and set-up. Those with experience know what I am talking about. Always check those yellow bushings on your truck, good indication on what the hook-up is doing!
kickster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
Congrats! I remember my first pulls with my pop-up (19' tip to bumper) and remembering the thrill of hitting the road for the first time! I analyzed every bump and jerk and feeling. I'm sure I even imagined my share of them. But in time, towing became second nature and then we upgraded...

Now that you have the truck and camper, go get weighed!

It'll be a very eye opening experience and getting over the mental challenge of weighing will help you dial-in your WDH as you load up the trailer.

If you get weighed, post the numbers here and we can help you dissect 'em.

2012 Jeep Compass Limited
1985 S-10 One Owner:
LKicklight is offline   Reply With Quote