Old 08-30-2015, 04:03 PM   #11

WDH youtube video link

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe in pa View Post
hello all, we just picked up a new chevy 2500hd and traded in a gmc 1500 truck, before trading in I measured the ball height on the gmc now if I adj the ball height the same on the new truck will that get me in the ball park ? thanks joe

Joe,

Here is an excellent video review from etrailer.com of how to set up your WDH properly. With all the reading and reviews I myself checked out, prior to getting a WDH, this video was the most helpful for myself being a beginner. After I got my WDH it was a breeze setting it up.

2004 GMC Sierra 2500HD LT 4x4 6.0 / 4:10

The best plans can be of those that happen in the spur of the moment!
Briorick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 04:07 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by magpi26 View Post
The beginning point to set up a WD hitch is to set the ball height the same as the TT coupler when the TT is level.
That was how I started the setup, too. I figured the 2 to 2-1/2 drop (without WDH) would be negated with WDH correct... and it was. What I have to redo is to add more tilt to the ball... the WDH arms are too close to the trailer frame now... always something.

Old 08-30-2015, 08:27 PM   #13

hey thanks for all the replies, our trailer sits in our grass yard that's somewhat level so I will try to get it close there and fine tune it after hooking it up and finding some level pavement somewhere, the salesman showed me the hitch reducer insert, I was thinking about putting a couple tack welds on it and if I ever had to go to the larger size just grind the welds off, were looking forward to trying out the new truck looks like the weekend after labor day, our 1st setup was done bye the dealership where we bought our trailer and it towed pretty straight. thanks again for all the replies. joe
Old 08-30-2015, 08:30 PM   #14

Make sure the area around the truck and trailer is level. I'd start at 23 inches. Drop the full weight on the hitch and put the weight bars on. Make sure the trailer is level afterward. You may need to adjust the ball up or down depending on the weight carried in the box plus how you load your trailer.
Old 08-30-2015, 08:44 PM   #15
Mod free 5er

[QUOTE=joe in pa;969632]...I was thinking about putting a couple tack welds on it and if I ever had to go to the larger size just grind the welds off.../QUOTE]

Sounds like a good plan to tack weld the insert.
Old 08-30-2015, 08:49 PM   #16

Joe, Congrats on your new TV! I guess I'm stuck with my Chevy 1500 CC for now.

HAPPY RVING!
Old 08-31-2015, 11:25 AM   #17

Speedozeke you should check with your dealer My truck came with the drop down to a 2 inch receiver it was in the glove box.
Old 08-31-2015, 05:32 PM   #18

2" Shank

J Free I have the adapter, but the issue I have is after 6,000 Miiles in 3 months on this summer trip I am on I see the pin getting wear from the step down sleeve not a perfect tight fit and the weight distribution lifting up and then the road bounce. My point is with a straight 2 & 1/2 shank you do not have that extra space that lets the head bounce in the sleeve of the hitch receiver. A straight shank with no adapter is much better. I have lots of tongue weight with a front kitchen unit. 998 lbs. on scales loaded and ready to travel.
Old 09-06-2015, 10:29 AM   #19

finally got around to readjusting the hitch, moved it down one set of holes on the shank which has me about 23 inches from the ground, I called my dealer where they installed my original setup and they suggested level the trailer and measure from the ground to the frame between the trailer tires and that will be right on, guess what I must have got lucky because the measurement is 23 inches l.o.l. I will be hooking up and trying it out next weekend, thanks again for all the tips. joe

Tags
truck