Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-23-2018, 02:17 PM   #1

New truck, new hitch, making adjustments

So I have a new truck, 2019 F350 dually, 8ft bed. Got new hitch, B&W Companion Puck 20K. Fifth wheel in the signature. Got the hitch in the truck. Arms one hole from bottom of hitch for those that are familiar. Hooked up and looking a little nose high. Have right a 6 inches clearance from bed rails. Of course with me, the DW and possibly adult son and wife in the truck plus and stuff in the bed it would squat a little more (already fairly full of fuel now). If I lowered the arms to the bottom I'd drop and inch but would be an inch close to the bed as well. I know 6 inches or more is the magic target for clearance but how many out there are getting along just fine with 5 inches? Also, I mounted the arms so they are in the 1 inch forward of the axle for Ford as opposed to the 3 inch forward of axle position. I'm thinking if I moved it to the 3 inch position the truck would actually squat less make me even more nose high (If my logic is correct). Will try to post some pics hooked up later but my driveway has a pretty good slope to it so likely very difficult to judge from pics. Might have to back it out and find some flat area to double check.
B&W Companion 20K for OEM pucks.
SecretSquirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 02:41 PM   #2

Pics will help. I wouldn't recommend less than 6". Ideally you want 6+" with camper level or slightly nose up if you are tight for getting 6+" of clearance. I have a Ram 3500 and have about 8" on a Puma 373QSI with it level to slight nose high.
sburrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 03:06 PM   #3

Just spit balling here. The 5W guys would certainly know better, but shifting the load forward 3 inches, should shift more weight onto the front axle. I would think the results would be, the truck would squat less. Both axles would be sharing more of the load. The truck should have a more level appearance.
katkt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 03:15 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by katkt View Post
Just spit balling here. The 5W guys would certainly know better, but shifting the load forward 3 inches, should shift more weight onto the front axle. I would think the results would be, the truck would squat less. Both axles would be sharing more of the load. The truck should have a more level appearance.

With the hitch he has it might shift weight around but it's possible the rear could actualy get even higher depending on where the hitch is setup over the axle. The comp hitch has both height and forward/back adjustments for the head rails. A few pics and that will tell the story. If it's a lil nose high and still equalish weight on trailer axles (needs scale visit) it should be ok at 6" or more. I wouldn't lower the hitch anymore if it gets under 6" of bed clearance but head arms might be not ideally over axle. Sometimes on 1 tons I've even went slightly behind the axle to get the right ride height.
Old 10-23-2018, 03:26 PM   #5
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Everyone throws out that magic 6" number and every rig is different.
Tonneau cover rails and other accessories can be a limiting factor too.

I ran a SOB 5th wheel for the better part of 10 years at 4-1/2" with no issues.
I've got about 5" on my current set-up and again, no issues.

I also like to strive for that 1" ahead of the axle for the pin.
I've found tracking to be better and tailgate clearance much more favorable.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 03:40 PM   #6

The OP will want to check the hitch and see if they the head legs tilting toward cab (3" ahead of axle) or back (1" ahead of axle). If you are at 3 position try flipping them and you'll likely be spot on with good clearance. Clearance is dependent on where you might be. I travel mountains and gravel driveways / roads. Tilt and inclines eat away bed clearance quick if you have to travel less than ideal roads.
Old 10-23-2018, 04:14 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by sburrell View Post
The OP will want to check the hitch and see if they the head legs tilting toward cab (3" ahead of axle) or back (1" ahead of axle). If you are at 3 position try flipping them and you'll likely be spot on with good clearance. Clearance is dependent on where you might be. I travel mountains and gravel driveways / roads. Tilt and inclines eat away bed clearance quick if you have to travel less than ideal roads.
Already in the 1inch forward position. I've got to put some miles on the truck before towing so I'll probably leave it as is for now and then I'll take it somewhere flat to take a better look. Hopefully this new setup doesn't affect my turning track to much. Was already tight getting in the driveway. Went from 6.5ft bed with pullright autoslide to 8ft bed with current hitch.
Old 10-24-2018, 01:38 PM   #8

I have the same truck (sorry, mine is a 2018) and hitch, pulling a 37MBH. I use the lowest holes for height and forward most relative to axle. Have a hard pitch and roll getting into and out of our storage facility, and have not had any issues.
xd40c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 06:33 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by xd40c View Post
I have the same truck (sorry, mine is a 2018) and hitch, pulling a 37MBH. I use the lowest holes for height and forward most relative to axle. Have a hard pitch and roll getting into and out of our storage facility, and have not had any issues.
Thanks xd40c, but what's your actual bed rail to camper clearance?
Old 10-25-2018, 07:56 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecretSquirrel View Post
Thanks xd40c, but what's your actual bed rail to camper clearance?
I'm not hooked up at the present, but I will be this weekend and will take a measurement. Just guessing though, I say around 5".
xd40c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 02:21 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by xd40c View Post
I'm not hooked up at the present, but I will be this weekend and will take a measurement. Just guessing though, I say around 5".
Thanks again xd40c. Let me know what you find. Based upon that input I might just go ahead and drop the arms down to the bottom holes. Thanks again.

Tags
hitch, truck