Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-12-2015, 12:25 PM   #21
Phat Phrog Stunt Crew

When I bought my GMC last March the pricing was all about incentives from GM. We searched dealers within 500 miles to find the one that fit my wants for a truck. The truck I bought was traded from another dealer 150 miles away. My dealer's price was $500 higher till he found out the base price was lower because an older manufactured model and had a price increase after a certain date. In the end all the prices come in to the penny from my dealer to other dealers. My dealer also sold me all the GM accessories I wanted at cost. Other dealers in the big cities want to sell everything at retail and high ticket protection programs that I didn't need. That's how they make up profits. So buying local made sense for me.
elind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 06:43 PM   #22

People,
There is always room to negotiate, more so on a new vehicle than a used one. The franchise always focuses more on sales numbers rather than dollar volume because they will reward the dealer with more vehicles to sell if they meet a certain quota. There is also a "hidden" payback on each vehicle after a certain goal is met. You have at least $2-3,000. below dealer invoice to target! Use web sites like Consumers reports to find out what the dealer invoice is which will include any and all options you desire.
glfillion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 07:47 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderer69 View Post
You can agree on the price but any incentive/rebate is based on what is available at the time of delivery not that day. Keep in mind that incentives/rebates change month to month. So there could be incentives/rebates that go away before the vehicle arrives or new ones become available.
Don't buy from a dealer that does this. There are plenty of dealers that will "lock" the rebates at the time of order, and will still give you a better rebate if it comes available. But it won't get lower. This is what my dealer did. For me, the rebates didn't change over the period.

For your trade, make them lock in a value the day you order. Period. Then you can continue to drive the truck til the new one shows up and get the value they quoted pending you don't destroy it. Then go home and list it for sale private. You need to figure out your state sales tax rates to determine where your break even point and better for you point is. I sold my 2007 Dodge dually within a week of listing it. Then I hated myself for the next 5 weeks without a truck. But it was worth it.
2016 Nights camped 5
ferguson65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 12:16 PM   #24

When I bought my Ford f-150 it had to be ordered with the brake controller and the 3.55 gear I wanted. When it arrived we haggled over price and were $2,600 apart after negotiating for nearly half an hour. I got up and walked. They called me two hours later and agreed to my price. Just makes you wonder how many people just fold up and pay too much.
Rockwoodjoe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
truck