Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-11-2015, 09:45 PM   #1

New truck sales question

Does anybody know if you order a new truck instead buying off the lot do you have to pay the full sticker price or is the price negotiable?

Aviator Wright-Flyer#1908
1996 Holiday Rambler
2012 Ram 2500HD CTD
KenHwy61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 09:52 PM   #2

Negotiable !!!!!! Sometimes a better deal even.....

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 10:05 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oaklevel View Post
Negotiable !!!!!! Sometimes a better deal even.....

Yes, I ordered mine was way cheaper that what was on the lot at the time.
The big three have a build it the way you want it option on their web sites.
Old 01-11-2015, 10:08 PM   #4

With the right dealer, its all negotiable. I ordered my F350 because I knew what I wanted and nobody had it. I got mine for invoice minus current rebates. They offered to maintain current rebates from when I ordered, but would give me any better rebates that were available at the time of delivery. I was about $6600 under MSRP. Not as good as something that was sitting on the lot, but for 56K I was going to get EXACTLY what I wanted.
2016 Nights camped 5
ferguson65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 10:12 PM   #5
Always Learning

I thought it was negotiable and it helped because I was able to pit 3 or 4 dealers against each other for exactly matching trucks. The pricing seems fairly standard, 3 of the 4 dealers came within dollars of each other. The 4th was $1,500 higher.

The difference came in fees and what they would give me for my trade.

Ironically, I walked out on the 4th (in an angry huff) but got lured back by a smooth talking sales manager. He got their pricing where I wanted and bested it by something stupid like $200. We agreed on a trade price (assuming I didn't wreck it or something crazy). We even had an agreement regarding the rebates in case they changed between placing the order and when the truck came in (rebates apply when you close).
Old 01-11-2015, 10:12 PM   #6

Thanks for the input. The fact that it is cheaper is really surprising. I thought for sure it would cost more! I've seen those build your truck factory websites but I figured everything would be added at full retail cost.

1996 Holiday Rambler
2012 Ram 2500HD CTD
Old 01-11-2015, 10:13 PM   #7
Always Learning

Plus, there was only 1 Ram dually within 125 miles of me and it was (EWWWW) white! I had to order to get the truck that wife and I wanted.
Old 01-11-2015, 10:18 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenHwy61 View Post
Thanks for the input. The fact that it is cheaper is really surprising. I thought for sure it would cost more! I've seen those build your truck factory websites but I figured everything would be added at full retail cost.
When you build the rig print out the summery and bring it to the dealers till you find one that will meet or beat it.
Old 01-11-2015, 10:23 PM   #9
campr-pete

Just purchased a 2015 Chevrolet 3500HD Dually I had the option to either order one or take one of the 2 that they had coming in, they were the exact same price so I took one of the 2 they had coming in. Make sure that you visit several dealers and let them know that your looking for the best price with the options that you want. I looked at all 3 ford was the most expensive, with dodge being the cheapest, My experience with dodge was front end issues at 35000 miles, I might have just got a bad one?
campr-pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 10:47 PM   #10

From what I've read, Ram redesigned the front suspension 2 years ago to eliminate the previous issues. Only time will tell for sure how it will hold up.

1996 Holiday Rambler
2012 Ram 2500HD CTD
Old 01-11-2015, 10:53 PM   #11
Ret E-9 Anchor-clanker

When I bought mine they offered bumper to bumper warranty for the life of the loan. It started out as $75.00 per month added to the loan. After five people tried to get me to by the truck because I said "I won't buy it from a rip off dealer out loud". They gave me the warranty for free.
donanddona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 10:56 PM   #12

Completely negotiable and be sure to pit a few dealers against one another till they show you the build sheet and offer you a price to buy it at or no more than $100 over invoice! Always check the manufacturer's websites too in order to see what incentive programs they honor (different trade associations and memberships and so on often have $500 to $1000 incentives) because they do not advertise all available. I bought a new truck last year at this time and the dealer I ultimately worked with never heard of $2500 in incentives I was eligible for! Further, if you work for a company that manufactures parts or materials or consults make sure they aren't a supplier to the manufacturer! If you do, guess what? You are entitled to purchase at supplier pricing and that is a HUGE deal for pickups!

Personally, for the first time ever I did not purchase a new GM truck even though I'm a member of the credit union and can purchase at employee/supplier pricing still. I actually did much, much better with a RAM and also got 0% financing. Good luck shopping!
geotex1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 11:38 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenHwy61 View Post
When you think about it, an ordered truck really has a lower cost to them. They aren't carrying it in inventory as it waits for a buyer. Straight from the Ford assembly line to you; and they get their cut.

I ordered my 2012 F150 and got it for $100 under invoice. Of course, they get to keep the 2% holdback.
1969 John Deere 1020, 1940 Ford 9N, 1948 Ford 8N
Jonsered 535, Can of WD-40, Duct Tape
Red Green coffee mugs
acadianbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 01:27 AM   #14

Ordered a Chevrolet 3500 dually two years ago. Salesman is someone I have bought several vehicles from over the past 15 years, that's because he has always been straight up with me. . He was up front on how the pricing works when you order a vehicle. You can agree on the price but any incentive/rebate is based on what is available at the time of delivery not that day. Keep in mind that incentives/rebates change month to month. So there could be incentives/rebates that go away before the vehicle arrives or new ones become available. Not all incentives are advertised. Some are for the customer, some are for the dealer. Do your homework before you go to the dealer and know what the price should. GM's website will tell you what customer incentive/rebates are available and when they end. If their in the ballpark deal with them. Also when ordering a vehicle when you have a trade in can complicate things a bit. You have two choices one is to trade the vehicle in that day. Which is what I did, but then I had a second vehicle to drive. This way the trade value is set and can't be change. The other is they will give you an appraisal price for that day. When the new vehicle arrives the trade will be appraised. That can create problems if the there has been anything to change the value of the trade. Careful on that one. Just know what you are doing before you go in there and you will be OK.
wanderer69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 10:31 AM   #15

It is negotiable. But the argument about it being cheaper for them doesn't hold. They WANT to sell you one from inventory BECAUSE it is costing them to have those there. Think about it- what would happen if EVERYONE ordered? They'd have a bunch of older model vehicles they'd have to sell at reduced prices. Be aware that the incentives are NOT locked in when you order. I know Ford incentives change by thousands sometimes. No dealer is going to take the risk of locking those in UNLESS they are making enough money on your deal to absorb that.
dustman_stx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 10:38 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by acadianbob View Post
When you think about it, an ordered truck really has a lower cost to them. They aren't carrying it in inventory as it waits for a buyer. Straight from the Ford assembly line to you; and they get their cut.

I ordered my 2012 F150 and got it for $100 under invoice. Of course, they get to keep the 2% holdback.
I hope you got it for $100 under invoice AND got your incentives. I worked the deal on my Mothers 2011 F150 EB when they were selling like crazy. Bought one off the lot for invoice price and got the incentives. This was after being told by the dealer that no one would sell an Ecoboost at cost. I told him that someone would and I'd be going to dealers until I found them. Got a call a few hours later. I got my Ecoboost in 2013 for just over $12K off. It was significantly under invoice and I got the incentives. I don't see how they made money even with dealer hold back. This seems to indicate that there are in fact "dealer incentives" that we don't necessarily know about.
Old 01-12-2015, 11:00 AM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustman_stx View Post
I hope you got it for $100 under invoice AND got your incentives.
Yes, I got the incentives. And they also agreed to give me the incentive in place at order time or at delivery time; whichever was the best for me.

Can't agree with your cost logic on ordering vs in-stock but to each their own.
1969 John Deere 1020, 1940 Ford 9N, 1948 Ford 8N
Jonsered 535, Can of WD-40, Duct Tape
Red Green coffee mugs
acadianbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 11:10 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by acadianbob View Post
Yes, I got the incentives. And they also agreed to give me the incentive in place at order time or at delivery time; whichever was the best for me.

Can't agree with your cost logic on ordering vs in-stock but to each their own.
I agree with you that the SPECIFIC vehicle you ordered (edit) SHOULD have a lower cost for them. Doesn't change the fact that they WANT to move the ones on the lot. Have you ever been to a dealer lot where they wanted to walk you in and order you a vehicle? Neither have I. They ALWAYS want to sell you one on the lot. If they can't talk you into buying one they have, they try to dealer trade. If they can't find what you want and you absolutely won't budge on getting exactly what you want, then they'll talk to you about ordering. This has been my experience, without fail. The point is that they HAVE to HAVE cars on the lot. And every day they sit there it is COSTING them money. They want those to move.
Old 01-12-2015, 11:28 AM   #19

Shoot for the units that have been on the lot the Longest! You will find that these sometimes fall under (Day Old Bread) prices! Big savings! Youroo!! Some call it (LOT ROT)!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 11:41 AM   #20
Infractee

My brother is a comptroller for a large Ford dealer in S.Florida, he has explained the cost thing to me before and it is VERY convoluted. Basically, Ford offers them specials on options and such, say for example they order 24 XLT F150's Ford will give them one of the packages at no charge, like the sync, upgraded wheels, navigation, convienence packge etc etc, just depends on the special of the week and the like. This freebie nets down their cost on each unit but it is still on the invoice so say package "X" normally cost them $600, now it is free and they make an extra $600 on each one of those vehicles sold, the freebies go up as the base cost go up, Leather in a Lariat for example, 20" wheels etc. so the more they order and the more well equipped they order, the price goes down. Just an example, If they order 100 vehicles in a month across all lines then they get even more holdback, advertising spiffs, shipping subsidies, better finance rates from Ford Etc Etc, even more if they order 200 units in a month, 300 in a month and so on and so on.
The faster a vehicle moves from the lot the more they make on it, due to holdback, floor finance and other factors too convoluted for a mere mortal like myself to fully understand. The one thing they do not make as much money on is special order vehicles, unless it is able to be grouped in with a net down order then they pay "Full price" so to speak. which would lead me to believe that you can always get a better deal on a lot queen than a special order unless some sort of special circumstances were to exist when you placed your order, not saying it could not happen just saying that the chances are less.
RhoZeta is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
truck