Old 11-12-2013, 05:10 PM   #21

I'm bewildered by a fuel pump replacement costing between $10 -$15K...? Is it gold? Why would a fuel pump replacement cost that much? Not doubting what you wrote, just seeking an answer... I haven't done anything yet... Please reply.

schrederman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 08:23 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by schrederman View Post
I'm bewildered by a fuel pump replacement costing between $10 -$15K...? Is it gold? Why would a fuel pump replacement cost that much? Not doubting what you wrote, just seeking an answer... I haven't done anything yet... Please reply.
When the fuel pump goes, it sends aluminum shrapnel through the entire fuel system. Everything has to be replaced: lines, pump, injectors, fuel rails, filters- you name it. You can google "Ford HPFP NTSHA" and see lots of discussion on it. If you can find the response from Ford to an inquiry they received about the issue from the NHTSA, you will find Fords numbers on the occurrence. It is quite disturbing. By 4 year models out the rate was at almost 50 per thousand (5%), and it was climbing exponentially every year. This indicates it will become quite a problem as miles rack up on these things. I did find some mention of Dodge being involved in a class action lawsuit- but I know they use a slightly different pump at slightly lower pressure. You might research for issues there, too. The EPA is really trying to kill the diesel market with increased cost of a lower quality fuel and all of the emissions equipment. They've definitely priced me out of being able to drive one. It's sad when the $8K initial cost on a diesel is the cheap part.

Old 11-13-2013, 05:24 PM   #23

OK... to an old aircraft mechanic... that makes sense. I am probably going to reconsider trading for a year or so... I'll keep an ear to the ground to see how this pans out. My F-150 does OK in the meantime.
Old 11-13-2013, 06:04 PM   #24
RKR

Quote:
Originally Posted by schrederman View Post
I'm torn between the excellent quality of every Ford I've ever owned and the reputation of the Cummins in the Dodge. I have a couple of friends with the Rams, and they seem pretty happy so far, though both are fairly new. Chevy and GMC are out for me for my own reasons, which I'll keep to myself. I have never owned a diesel before and I would very much like to know real world experiences including mileage, (towing and not), service costs, repairs, options, and general quality. I really don't want a bunch "mine's better'n yours" BS so if that's all ya got... please save it... Thanks in advance...
It pretty much depends on you personal preference.
I have spent most of my life working in the oilfield and have driven all the makes of HD trucks gas and diesel.
In the last 5 years I have driven all 3 makes. I prefer diesel pickups. They just pull a lot better.
I currently am driving a gas Dodge 3/4 ton 4x4. I have put 33K on it since March. Not much power for towing compared to the Cummins. We're about to go back to Fords due to pricing. Chevy's are too much $.
When I bought my own HD pickup I chose a Chevy. My favorite company truck was a Chevy 2500 with a Duramax.
It is the best riding and most comfortable HD truck I have driven in the oilfield and that translated to a real comfortable highway tow rig. I also like the engine brake, very seldom do I need to hit my brakes going down any hills or grades. The Allison transmission is also pretty sweet.
I have 50K on it and it hasn't missed a beat or seen a dealer.

Just my humble opinion and I'm not looking for the mine is better than yours argument. It's a personal choice and the Chevy just had a better ride and fit me better.

Buy whatever makes you happy.
Old 11-13-2013, 06:43 PM   #25

Fuel Problem

As you are only looking at new trucks, and GM is out, consider the following.

i will say Boldly that i am a Ford Guy.

I will Give Ram its due, i have friends with Rams, and they are great pieces of equipment, no doubt.

i will say nothing to detract from the Ram as a vehicle, i will say however that Ford did not take federal bailout money.

that to me says it all!

on the fuel pump thing, i wouldn't run any diesel of any vintage without using some additive (choose your favorite) to add lubricity.

low sulpher fuel = low lubricity, they all face premature failure due to this.

we have a 2012 F-350 6.7 used as a company truck.

power to spare, quiet, wondeful.

depending on the driver (some very abusive) the truck gets 15-22 empty, and 7.5 - 12 towing.

we haven't had any costs above standard maintenance.
Old 11-13-2013, 07:18 PM   #26

From what I've read about the fuel pump issues most of these failures were the result of operator error, i.e. gasoline in the tank, DEF in the fuel tank, etc.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 07:25 PM   #27
phat phrog stunt crew

power service at most every fill in the warmer months, but definetly every fill in the winter. had not even thought of the fuel pump letting go, but i worry more about fuel gelling. it takes a looooonnnnng time to get fuel to ungel.
Old 11-13-2013, 07:26 PM   #28
RKR

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKR View Post
It pretty much depends on you personal preference. I have spent most of my life working in the oilfield and have driven all the makes of HD trucks gas and diesel. In the last 5 years I have driven all 3 makes. I prefer diesel pickups. They just pull a lot better. I currently am driving a gas Dodge 3/4 ton 4x4. I have put 33K on it since March. Not much power for towing compared to the Cummins. We're about to go back to Fords due to pricing. Chevy's are too much $. When I bought my own HD pickup I chose a Chevy. My favorite company truck was a Chevy 2500 with a Duramax. It is the best riding and most comfortable HD truck I have driven in the oilfield and that translated to a real comfortable highway tow rig. I also like the engine brake, very seldom do I need to hit my brakes going down any hills or grades. The Allison transmission is also pretty sweet. I have 50K on it and it hasn't missed a beat or seen a dealer. Just my humble opinion and I'm not looking for the mine is better than yours argument. It's a personal choice and the Chevy just had a better ride and fit me better. Buy whatever makes you happy.
For what it's worth I forgot mention that Dodge announced a recall last week for 1.2 million 2500 and 3500 series. It's a tie rod issue that I believe dates back to 2008.
Old 11-13-2013, 07:32 PM   #29

My Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins with just over 50K miles has been issue free with no maintenance other than oil changes and the like. I love the power, engine brake and tow haul when pulling. This truck just pulls our 5er in the hills better and descends safer than the other makes that are in our camping club. I bought mine after researching the Cummins and Allison combination for reliability and durability and there was nothing to equal it. That was a few years ago and Ford has since improved quality but for real life experience the Dodge has been reliable, problem free, great pulling power and good MPG towing over 12,000 pounds and getting 13.2 while doing it.
Old 11-13-2013, 08:55 PM   #30

Ford not taking taxpayer money is a plus for me as well. My main reasons for narrowing this down is that I used to manage a work group that consisted of 24 people and myself, and 25 vehicles. The maintenance of these came out of my budget... and the Fords, even though I had 14 of them, were by far the cheapest to operate for long periods. I spent less on them than the other 2 brands even though there were about twice as many. The Chevys and Dodges were about even, with the exception of the one Dodge diesel we had... It was a good one. So, I am not knocking the GM products, and I am very glad that some are getting great service from them... but my last 2 that I personally owned were lemons, and I swore never to own one again.

Thanks for all the info, folks...

Tags
dodge