Old 11-15-2013, 08:43 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stub-KB-2 View Post
I am not a fan of turbocharged gasoline engines put under the stress of pulling loads over long periods. The Ecoboost is a great engine, but I am dubious as to how one will perform at 150K miles, especially if it has many pulling miles on it. Only time will tell. Materials used in engine construction have progressed, I'm sure, but I'll still have to play the wait-and-see on that one. I currently have a 5.0 equipped F-150 and it does OK.

i agree with you whole heartedly, but keep in mind that these engines are designed with a 20% duty cycle. they are not designed to pull all of the time.
i have considered buying the new Ford 6.2 Gasser in a 1 ton.
everyone seems to forget what we did with the gas big blocks back in the day. the new big gas engines put out better #'s than my 7.3 powerstrokes. they have a 6 speed trans, and are cheaper to buy and maintain than the diesel.
I'm not sure how I'd feel about the EB either for towing CONSTANTLY. We camp on average 60 nights a year, and still only put about 2,000 towing miles on our trucks in a year. The average person won't come close to towing heavy for 150K miles. I'd say that someone that camps MUCH more than the average family would probably have less than 30K towing miles when the odometer reads 150K. Do you have some document showing Ford recommends the EB for a 20% duty cycle? If so,what would be the duty cycle on the 6.2?

Old 11-15-2013, 09:15 AM   #42
Camper Less Camping

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlbreaux View Post

How do you get 22 empty and 12.5 towing? I get about 14 empty and 9 towing.
Jevanb's truck is highly modified...mine is slightly modified and I have above normal MPG's also towing, non-towing and giddy up speed

Old 11-15-2013, 12:13 PM   #43

I never said that someone would be towing 150K miles with the Ecoboost. Even towing 30K of the 150K miles would be a real strain on that engine/drivetrain... in my opinion... Only time will tell how they will hold up. I am not knocking the EB... and hope for the best for those that have them. I opted for the MUCH less complex 5.0 because I still work on my own vehicles, most of the time... and I don't like expensive surprises. That's why I am trying to really research this possible conversion to an oil burner so I can have a true picture of the financial risks involved versus the implied rewards of better mileage and better towing performance. The EB issue is actually just muddying the waters a bit for my purpose... but it was worth discussing...
schrederman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 01:21 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by schrederman View Post
I never said that someone would be towing 150K miles with the Ecoboost. Even towing 30K of the 150K miles would be a real strain on that engine/drivetrain... in my opinion... Only time will tell how they will hold up. I am not knocking the EB... and hope for the best for those that have them. I opted for the MUCH less complex 5.0 because I still work on my own vehicles, most of the time... and I don't like expensive surprises. That's why I am trying to really research this possible conversion to an oil burner so I can have a true picture of the financial risks involved versus the implied rewards of better mileage and better towing performance. The EB issue is actually just muddying the waters a bit for my purpose... but it was worth discussing...
What about the 6.2 in an F150? You might have to get an upper trim level to get it, though.
Old 11-15-2013, 02:27 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustman_stx View Post
I'm not sure how I'd feel about the EB either for towing CONSTANTLY. We camp on average 60 nights a year, and still only put about 2,000 towing miles on our trucks in a year. The average person won't come close to towing heavy for 150K miles. I'd say that someone that camps MUCH more than the average family would probably have less than 30K towing miles when the odometer reads 150K. Do you have some document showing Ford recommends the EB for a 20% duty cycle? If so,what would be the duty cycle on the 6.2?

i don't have documentation to point to. i have read about these engines ad nauseum. the 6.2 as well as the diesels in the pick ups are all rated at 35-40% duty cycle. if you buy a comercial cab and chassis, they are rated at 85%. that is why the commercial, and the 450-550 have derated horsepower / torque ratings, so you can work them all day.

Ford's goal with the Ecoboost was to sell more in the "weekend warrior" market.
Building a truck that gets respectable fuel economy comuting, and pulls like hell when you hook the toys on it every couple of weekends.

i have been surprised, and impressed by these little motors.

my question (as many others state) since before they started production (reading in tech magazines etc.) has been longevity.
i believe that properly maintained, and used as they are designed, they will prove effective.
Old 11-15-2013, 02:34 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by schrederman View Post
again, in my opinion you would be best served (overall) with the powerstroke.
but on operating cost per mile, the diesels will always exceed the Gas engines.
and as far as working on them yourself, that is becoming more challenging daily.

all of these new trucks with diesels, you are hard pressed to access the rear 75% of the engine without pulling the cab.

i won't question anyone's wrenching abilities, being the type that works on my own stuff, with a mechanical history, but all of the EPA crap they manufacturers are dealing with these engine bays are beyond cramped.
Old 11-15-2013, 02:36 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustman_stx View Post
What about the 6.2 in an F150? You might have to get an upper trim level to get it, though.

i have read that they are supposed to offer the 6.2 in the 150.

i know that they have the raptor (not much of a tow vehicle), but have not seen a regular pickup.

has anyone seen one?
Old 11-15-2013, 04:21 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stub-KB-2 View Post
i have read that they are supposed to offer the 6.2 in the 150.

i know that they have the raptor (not much of a tow vehicle), but have not seen a regular pickup.

has anyone seen one?
I am pretty sure you can get it in the F150- but I am thinking only in an upper trim like the Platinum. I'll see if the Ford site will let me build one.
Old 11-15-2013, 04:27 PM   #49

I just tried to build one, and it forced me to an XLT when I selected the 6.2. I am almost positive I've Limiteds or Platinums in either 2011 or 2012 models with 6.2. Maybe no more??? Also, it had the max trailer tow already selected in the options-seems to be a forced option when getting the 6.2. Nope-wasn't forced, but only changed price by $35 by going to regular tow. No HD payload with 6.2- must be EB.

Tags
dodge