Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-03-2013, 11:01 PM   #1

New TV - 3/4 Ton Dodge or Ford?

I'm torn between the excellent quality of every Ford I've ever owned and the reputation of the Cummins in the Dodge. I have a couple of friends with the Rams, and they seem pretty happy so far, though both are fairly new. Chevy and GMC are out for me for my own reasons, which I'll keep to myself. I have never owned a diesel before and I would very much like to know real world experiences including mileage, (towing and not), service costs, repairs, options, and general quality.

I really don't want a bunch "mine's better'n yours" BS so if that's all ya got... please save it...

Thanks in advance...
schrederman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 11:07 PM   #2

I drive the the best diesel. But if I was getting another it would be a dodge

06 LBZ ,CC 4x
lots of mods
Superglide
jevanb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 11:14 PM   #3

Basis for your opinion, or is that all ya got?
Old 11-03-2013, 11:21 PM   #4

100k and not one single issue, fatherinlaw has same truck 190k not one single issue, best friend has one also 370k not one issue except tires and drivers seat cushion. Met a guy with 1 million and not a lot of problems, you can look him up on mlive.com

06 LBZ ,CC 4x
lots of mods
Superglide
Old 11-03-2013, 11:25 PM   #5

I also have 550hp get 22 empty 12.5 towing at max weight

06 LBZ ,CC 4x
lots of mods
Superglide
Old 11-03-2013, 11:32 PM   #6

Uh... I meant your opinion on the Dodge... Glad you have a great truck, but Chebby's ain't for me... again for my own reasons. Thanks...
Old 11-03-2013, 11:40 PM   #7

O..... lots of friends with 5.9 and they are reliable, lots of power, easy to work on, not a lot of issues, I had a 7.3 great truck . Would not buy a Ford diesel after that mess with the 6.0, and they can't seen to build another without changing everything after a few years, 4 displacement changes in how many years???

06 LBZ ,CC 4x
lots of mods
Superglide
Old 11-03-2013, 11:54 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

I recommend that you consider a 1 ton SRW over the 3/4 ton in either brand for the extra 1000+ lbs of payload capacity.

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 02:25 AM   #9

Hi Schrederman,

I understand you are looking for a 3/4 ton TV so this is just a little food for thought.

Seven months ago I bought a 2013 F150 Lariat with the ECO Boost engine. For those unfamiliar with the ECO Boost, it is a V6 Engine with two turbos. The 1/2 ton chassis was near maxed out for tongue weight but I still had a few inches before hitting the stops on the axle. That truck really impressed me, hauling my TT (6,000 lbs dry, 8,000 max load) like a champ for our three and a half month road trip. I towed it from coast to coast and back again (over 13, 000 miles) crossing the Rockies twice. The specs say it has more torque than any 8 cylinder gas engine and sits middle of the pack for horsepower. I initially was looking at a 3/4 ton diesel but with the prices of fuel lately and these specs I went with this engine in a 1/2 ton with a softer ride when not towing. I will use it mainly for a family travel vehicle and will only tow a small percentage of the total miles I put on it.

All I have done to the truck is oil changes and tire rotations. as far as mileage, I was getting 13 MPG towing through the flats and 9 through the mountains with an average speed of 60 Miles per hour. Without the trailer I would get around 26 MPG with the same speed on the highway.

I believe out of the big three, Ford has the best cab on the market. The 8 inch touch screen in the Lariat is gorgeous.

Blackout
2014 Cherokee Grey Wolf 26DBH
2013 F-150 Super Crew with Ecoboost
Blackout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 08:26 AM   #10
Now a "Top Member"

Okay, I have a 2011 6.7L F-250. I've had one issue with it (knock on wood)...the DEF sending unit. Replaced under warranty. I buy my oil changes through my dealer special of 4 for $194 (that's about $48.00 an oil change...really good for 14 quarts of oil). Fuel filters (2 of them) are a bit on the high side (can't remember the price), and they should be done every 10 - 20K depending on your conditions. Otherwise, I've had no issues.

I get close to 19MPG on my daily driving (relatively short and straight trip to the bus stop and back). I have gotten as high as 23MPG on the highway, though I haven't gotten that in a while. I get between 18 - 21 on my typical highway trips. Towing my 11K 5th wheel, I get between 10.5 and 11.5MPG. I haven't taken a long trip with this one yet.

I have almost 39,000 miles on my truck, and absolutely love the 6.7L with the 6-speed Torqueshift tranny. It pulls my 5th wheel great, and I can stay in cruise and 6th gear almost everywhere I tow. I do have to disengage the cruise in the more hilly areas, but generally it does great. I have no problems recommending the Ford.
Retired AF MSgt

I thought I was wrong once, but I was wrong!
EdJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 08:52 AM   #11

While I don't have an F250 I do have a 2012 F450 with the 6.7. It is very comfortable for my family of 5 and it does not do much more than tow my toys to the sandbox so I can't really give you a non-towing estimate.

However I do average between 10-11 MPG towing my rig (28,500lbs GCVW) and that towing is here in Colorado with a minimum of 4 6% grades 4+ miles long each and up hill the rest of the way.

I have been impressed with the job Ford has done building their own diesel VS the problems them and navistar had.

I did own a 2006 F350 SRW with the 6.0 and it was a nice truck but the injector pump did die at 10K but no problems after that.

I am a Ford guy so keep that in mind as well.

Hope this helps.
Lynkage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 09:55 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynkage View Post

I did own a 2006 F350 SRW with the 6.0 and it was a nice truck but the injector pump did die at 10K but no problems after that.

I am a Ford guy so keep that in mind as well.

Hope this helps.
My 2004 F250 SWR with the 6.0 had a bad ficm, oil cooler and egr go out at 90000 miles. I haul my 5th wheel and car hauler8000 lbs with no issues after repaired! I am also a Ford guy myself. This is my first diesel.
Having A Ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 10:19 AM   #13
Always Learning

I don't know enough about trucks to tell you one is better than the other. For us, when we were buying this truck - we knew that we wanted to be able to seat 6 comfortably. We picked based on personal feel in the trucks. Dodge was the roomiest to us followed by Ford. Wife felt the Ford was more "work truck"-like and wanted a more comfy existence, so Dodge it was.
Old 11-04-2013, 10:22 AM   #14

My preference is the dodge but i think you will be happy with either truck. I had a 04 dodge that i put 80k on with no problems at all. I now have a 06 mega cab that i have owned since new with no problems. I get 18mpg empty and 12 towing 14k 5th wheel its been a great truck and i love the mega cab because of the room for my 3 kids and dog, but mine is a 5.9 so it is before they put all the emmisions stuff on them. The only problem with the ford is that every one I talk to likes their truck but no one has high mileage on them so hard to tell about durability if you do buy the ford i would wait till 2015 because they are putting a different turbo on it to give it a better exhaust break which is what most ford owners complain about with current engine. Once again i would buy dodge because my trucks have been good to me and i love the mega cab, but believe the ford is a good choice as well. Good luck
inspectorgf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 10:41 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by schrederman View Post
I'm torn between the excellent quality of every Ford I've ever owned and the reputation of the Cummins in the Dodge. I have a couple of friends with the Rams, and they seem pretty happy so far, though both are fairly new. Chevy and GMC are out for me for my own reasons, which I'll keep to myself. I have never owned a diesel before and I would very much like to know real world experiences including mileage, (towing and not), service costs, repairs, options, and general quality.

I really don't want a bunch "mine's better'n yours" BS so if that's all ya got... please save it...

Thanks in advance...
Here is my real world experience: I have a 2012 F350 SRW CC short bed Lariat with the 6.7 diesel and have 16,000 miles on with 6,000 miles of that towing a 30ft Rockwood TT weighing around 8,000 lbs loaded. Fuel mileage is 15mpg city, around 22mpg freeway, and 11.7mpg towing (that was my average going from Columbus ohio to Myrtle Beach this year, around home on flatter ground I get around 13 mpg) I have the ford dealership change oil, add DEF and rotate tires every 5,000 miles at a cost of $142.75. Fuel filters I have changed every 10,000 miles at a cost of $155.00. No repairs thus far (knockin' wood) and I have nothing but good to say about the F350. I am like you, always have had Ford's and never owned a diesel but I love how the whole truck pulls, drives and performs. It is my daily driver and also with no issues. The truck pulls like a dentist on a bad tooth even through the mountains and never had an issue with the exhaust brake like mentioned above. I would look at getting the F350 instead of the F250 because of the payload in case you want to move up on your TT. The 350 is not that much more. Would I buy it again if I had to replace?... no doubt I would. good luck and let us know what you decide.
Old 11-04-2013, 11:12 AM   #16

Dodge or Ford is a moot point with me, it's the dealership that offers me the best deal that gets my business.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 12:17 AM   #17

Looks like I'm going with the Ford. I get a great deal through my company that's almost as good as Ford employees get. All that's left is to make the deal and take the money out of savings... Thanks all...
Old 11-06-2013, 09:46 AM   #18

Quote:
Looks like I'm going with the Ford. I get a great deal through my company that's almost as good as Ford employees get. All that's left is to make the deal and take the money out of savings... Thanks all...
Congrats ! Post a pic when you get a chance
Having A Ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 10:31 AM   #19

I have always been a Ford guy. I just recently traded in a 2011 F250 with the 6.7. It was a great truck. Got very respectable mileage- much better than what Dodge owners are reporting- and pulled great. By far the best tow vehicle I have ever owned. I did get nervous, however, when I started researching the fuel pump issues. Apparently the Bosch pumps they use(GM uses them, too- Bosch CP4.2, I think) aren't lasting because the fuel in the US is insufficiently lubricating them. There are some conflicting accounts about whether warranty covers it, but most evidence seems to indicate they aren't. My truck had warranty for another 3.5 years and 35,000 miles. Ford acknowledges the issue exists, but sidesteps responsibility in a document provided to the NHTSA. The occurrence appears to be increasing exponentially with age and mileage according to Ford's own numbers. (5% occurrence by 4 model years out). My main concern was that this problem would become apparent in the next few years and, at a repair cost of 10-15K, the majority of the value in my truck would be gone. Used value would take a huge hit if prospective buyers knew it was a ticking time bomb waiting on a $10K plus repair bill. With all of this being said, I think if I HAD to have a diesel, I'd quite possible lean toward the Dodge. Fuel mileage would likely be 2-3mpg less, from what accounts I read. I opted for an F-150 with the Ecoboost. I'm maxing it out with my rig, but 95% of my driving is short commutes of less than 5 miles and the F-150 will be much more at home doing these than the diesel. You most likely won't encounter a problem with the Ford 6.7. Just be aware that there COULD be some issues lurking that will cause the Ford to take a hit in value later on. Until then, I think you'll love it. You might use the Ford approved diesel additive from day one to help with lubricity of the fuel. Just my .02.
dustman_stx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 09:37 PM   #20

Quote:
The 250 and 350 are the same truck.
I don't believe it. It can't be true.
Why would Ford build a chassis that is capable of over 7000 lbs payload, put a 250 badge on it and sell it for less $$ with a payload of 1800 lbs??
A diesel F250 is capable of towing the same amount of weight as any SRW F350.
A diesel F250 is capable of hauling the same amount of weight as any SRW F350.
The yellow sticker will give you numbers that you have to use.
Twisty is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dodge