Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-18-2013, 10:05 PM   #1
DDC

New TV

I am thinking of changing my tow vehicle and have been shopping around, thought about getting a new avalanche but this is the last year for them so I'm not stuck on driving an obsolete vehicle, anyway today we test drove a VW Touareg TDI it has the same tow capacity as the avalanche but being diesel it has a lot more torque and an eight speed tranny. Anyone out there using the VW?
Donald&Casey cairn terrier
Rest in Peace Mary my darling wife.
Scottish by birth Canadian by time.
DDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 11:09 PM   #2

you may want to check out this site VW Touareg TDIs - TDIClub Forums They have some good info on the VW
Old 06-19-2013, 12:39 PM   #3
daydreaming about camping

I have known several people that use the TDI Touareg to tow their boats. They all report the Touareg is a great towing machine. Plenty of power, solid chassis and more than competent brakes.

I still get hung up on the short WB.

2013 Coachmen Freedom Express 320BHDS pulled by a 2005 F250 King Ranch CC

A rainy day camping is better than a sunny day at work.
jeeplj8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 10:34 PM   #4
Oklahoma Proud

Vw has made good vehicles over the years, dont think I would EVER consider one a tow vehicle though.
I have worked on quite a few over the years, and dread it every time. Even with a $5k scan tool with euro programs, vws are a nightmare with literally dozens of control modules. And many repairs will have to be done at a vw dealer. Oh and keep your old vehicle for a spare, cause parts are hard to get sometimes or most times.

I really couldnt care less what you drive, but thought I would share my experience- which has always been a long drawn out affair with vw
MillerTime is offline   Reply With Quote