Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-24-2013, 12:49 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
prof_fate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Beaver, PA
Posts: 911
New TV - all done from the easy chair

At times I don't like technology - it's often a pain, a timesuck, alienates society and makes us fat.

Then there are other times...like today.

Took a test drive in a Silverado last month and the wife drove one last week. Been spending the rest of the time figuring if we want to make the payments -or live with the old TV another season (and her car too) - repairs, hassles of repairs, etc.

Called the credit union yesterday and got a loan approval. Took 10 minutes, if that.
Found 'truecar.com' when searching for current incentives on new Chevy trucks and sure, why not, have a dealer call me. What we want (after looking at 3 dealerships) isn't too common and 'negotiating' has changed a lot (due to technology) over the past 5-10 years. As I learned last october when I bought a used car.

So the dealer found and is fetching a 13 crew cab silverado w/ all star package, conven package, hd cooling/3.42 ratio/integrated trailer braking/backup camera.
The looking we've done shows this truck at $39-42k range (sticker) based on who knows what (specific options or dates when ordered...I don't know).
Dealer tells me $32,500 plut TTL and that's before any trades/cash down. OK...a good 2500-3500 less than I was planning on. Done deal. Do it.

So I never left my easy chair and bought a new truck with money I don't yet have. Ain't technology wonderful!

On the plus side our car insurance will go DOWN $60 a year. Our repair bills for a few years will vanish. And we can finally take that long camping vacation we've been wanting to do!

And while it will be the wife's daily driver I get to drive it first!

Here's hoping the price of gas drops really soon!
__________________

__________________
Chris, Wills (16) Evie (13) & Toby our collie (6)
2011 Grey Wolf 28BH
2013 Chevy K1500 Crew w/ Reese StraitLine Dual Cam

Nights camped 2011: 11 2012: 18 2013: 12 2014: 12 2015: 13 2016: 56 2017: 8+
prof_fate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 02:23 PM   #2
Camper Less Camping
 
Cajun Po-Boy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: NW
Posts: 3,642
How easy....enjoy and congrats on new truck!
__________________

__________________
2013 Sabre 32RCTS-6 (sold)
Family of 4 whose always on the GEAUX!
Cajun Po-Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 11:09 AM   #3
Junior Member
 
vc17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 12
Congrats on the purchase, but I would have been concerned with the 3:42 gear ratio..
__________________

2009 Toyota Tundra SR5 DC, 5.7L Pyrite Mica
2012 Wildwood T26RKS
vc17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 11:26 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
jevanb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Michigan
Posts: 1,441
Quote:
Originally Posted by vc17 View Post
Congrats on the purchase, but I would have been concerned with the 3:42 gear ratio..
Me too , did u get the 6.2? Buddy at work got rid of his 5.3 and got the 6.2 and he says it pulls his car trailer (5500 lbs) way better
__________________
2012 Wildcat 344QB

06 LBZ ,CC 4x
lots of mods
Superglide
jevanb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 11:28 AM   #5
Phat Phrog Stunt Team
 
TURBS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Iowa
Posts: 34,337
I'd have looked into a higher gear ratio as well but with the 6 speed trany maybe the 3.42 is the way to go ........
Was there even another higher ratio available?
What engine did you get?

I buy anything I can from the recliner!
Bought my last vehicle and camper that way!


Good luck and for gosh sakes take that vacation!


Turbs
__________________
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 11:40 AM   #6
Junior Member
 
vc17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 12
I think GM also offers a 3:55 and 3:73 gear ratio. If used for towing, 3:73's would have been the better way to go. Even with a 6 speed trans, 3:42's wouldn't have been a good choice IMO.
__________________

2009 Toyota Tundra SR5 DC, 5.7L Pyrite Mica
2012 Wildwood T26RKS
vc17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 11:43 AM   #7
Phat Phrog Stunt Team
 
TURBS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Iowa
Posts: 34,337
Quote:
Originally Posted by vc17 View Post
I think GM also offers a 3:55 and 3:73 gear ratio. If used for towing, 3:73's would have been the better way to go. Even with a 6 speed trans, 3:42's wouldn't have been a good choice IMO.
Your probably right .

3.73 would have been a good option.
__________________
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 03:17 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
prof_fate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Beaver, PA
Posts: 911
You can only buy what they sell....or what you can afford. as it was they had to hunt down a crew cab with HD cooling for towing (otherwise you get ~6000lb tow capacity)

uprated GVWR to 7000lbs, truck payload 1564lbs, GCWR of 15,000 lbs, tow rating of 9500lbs, limited slip rear, HD cooling, integrated trailer brake/anti sway, backup camera (handy for hitching up).

The 5.3 isn't available with 3.73 gears, only the 6.2L is. You get 900 lbs more towing ability and take a hit on gas mileage.

Opting for a 2500 4x4 crew cab gets you the 6.0L engine and 9400 lbs towing with 3.73. The option 4.10 ups that to 13,000lbs - now you've got a much bigger number to work with. But this is a different truck. Visiting 5 dealers I never saw one.

I saw a lot of 4 door 1500s with no towing options, 3500 and 2500 work trucks and extended cab trucks equipped how we wanted - but we want/ need a crew cab.

If this was going to be more tow than daily driver (commuting to work) I might have given more emphasis on the towing rather than economy.

__________________
Chris, Wills (16) Evie (13) & Toby our collie (6)
2011 Grey Wolf 28BH
2013 Chevy K1500 Crew w/ Reese StraitLine Dual Cam

Nights camped 2011: 11 2012: 18 2013: 12 2014: 12 2015: 13 2016: 56 2017: 8+
prof_fate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 03:25 PM   #9
Phat Phrog Stunt Team
 
TURBS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Iowa
Posts: 34,337
Quote:
Originally Posted by prof_fate View Post
You can only buy what they sell....or what you can afford. as it was they had to hunt down a crew cab with HD cooling for towing (otherwise you get ~6000lb tow capacity)

uprated GVWR to 7000lbs, truck payload 1564lbs, GCWR of 15,000 lbs, tow rating of 9500lbs, limited slip rear, HD cooling, integrated trailer brake/anti sway, backup camera (handy for hitching up).

The 5.3 isn't available with 3.73 gears, only the 6.2L is. You get 900 lbs more towing ability and take a hit on gas mileage.

Opting for a 2500 4x4 crew cab gets you the 6.0L engine and 9400 lbs towing with 3.73. The option 4.10 ups that to 13,000lbs - now you've got a much bigger number to work with. But this is a different truck. Visiting 5 dealers I never saw one.

I saw a lot of 4 door 1500s with no towing options, 3500 and 2500 work trucks and extended cab trucks equipped how we wanted - but we want/ need a crew cab.

If this was going to be more tow than daily driver (commuting to work) I might have given more emphasis on the towing rather than economy.
Nice looking chevy!

What's the cargo carrying capacity?
Otherwise known as ccc
__________________

__________________
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:10 PM.