Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-15-2018, 05:47 PM   #1

New TV + camper or used RV?

Hello,

We've always tent camped, but with 2 young kids (5 and 2) it has been getting harder and harder. I know the normal progression is tent > PUP > TT > RV, but I'd like to skip the PUP step and go straight to a TT or RV because part of our issue is trying to get our kids to go to sleep at a reasonable hour when both neighbors have bright lanterns turned up to max and are being loud drinking around the camp fire... so we kind of want something with solid walls that can block out light, and maybe a little more sound protection than a nylon tent wall.

We have a 2014 GMC Acadia with tow package. That's rated for 5200 tow, 600 hitch, GVWR 6459, CCC 1398, GCWR 10450. We were interested in getting an Apex Nano 193BHS with a GVWR of 4700.

On paper this should work, and I know a few people have made similar setups work, but it seems like more people with setups like this end up deciding that it's not working well and invariably get a bigger TV. I called my service department to see what they thought and they pretty much said I shouldn't tow anything bigger than a PUP and that he would avoid towing anything more than 2500lb.

So at this point I'm thinking if I buy any kind TT that can sleep 4 (without using the dinette as a bed) there is a greater than 50% chance that I'll end up upgrading my TV.

So now I'm thinking, for the price of getting a new TT plus an upgraded TV, why don't I just get a used class C RV instead?

So am I being too cautious and my existing TV will be fine with a small (20 ft) TT? Am I right and I should go straight from tent to RV?

This post is a disaster and too long for anyone to read but at least it helped me get my thoughts out. Thanks for listening.
PNWCamper7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 06:09 PM   #2

Consider how you're going to get around when you get someplace. Motorhomes, class A or C, aren't the most maneuverable vehicles. We went with a trailer because we can drop the trailer and use the TV for getting around. You can use a toad, of course, but, if you don't have an appropriate vehicle for that, it will drive additional costs.

No trees were harmed while sending this message;
however, a rather large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

TT: 2018 Surveyor 243RBS TV:2019 F-250 XLT 6.2L 4x4 Crew Cab
mawilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 06:24 PM   #3
Multi-Slacker

Consider buying a used truck and a used trailer. You save money and wind up with a vehicle that is useful on a daily basis.
Old 06-15-2018, 07:40 PM   #4

I buy new as I can get warranty on the truck and a years warranty on the camper.
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 08:03 PM   #5
Scoundrel

X2 what mawilson said above about having a vehicle to get around in once you arrive at your destination. BTW, I buy everything used, cars, trucks, campers, houses, etc...

Wooden Spoon Survivor
HangDiver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 08:19 PM   #6

In the last 45 years I have owned at least 8 used trucks and only two new trucks, both new trucks were junk wish I had kept some of the used ones.

Campers we have owned four used ones and two news ones. All were pretty good except the first one.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 08:42 PM   #7

Another vote for a towable (I'll never go bigger than a 5er, myself, for the reasons listed above) - but a recommendation for a new TV for you - eventually. Especially since you're on the mountainous side of the country.

I have the predecessor to your Acadia - an Envoy XL with the 5.3L, rated for 7000# tow. I also rebuilt my trans with towing in mind. A great TV - until I hit the mountains out west two weeks ago with 5000# behind me. Now I'm making plans to either put a 6.0L in, or get a new TV outright. And I really love my 'Voy.

So...the 'easy' route would be a used Class C, and keep the Acadia (it looks like you can flat tow it, too ('4 down'). If the Acadia's paid off, this might be the short-term route, until you find out whether everyone wants to still go camping in a few years.

Otherwise, you're towing *with* the Acadia, unless you ditch it for a new TV.

Remember that the Acadia is a unibody, rather than a BOF. Given that, I'd tend to agree w/ the person who told you "2500 max". Because you're *always* towing more than just the dry weight of the trailer. IIRC, the Acadia is also a FF (front engine, front-wheel drive). It has an AWD option, but with a transaxle-equipped vehicle, I wouldn't put serious weight behind it. JMHO.

If you get to the point where you want to go bigger than the 'C' - you'll probably want to look at 3/4 ton pickups, to pull the trailer you plan on towing. Note that a PU sets you up for a fifth wheel, too, if you (ever) want to make that jump.
Reprise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 09:12 PM   #8

The first issue with the smaller suvs and crossovers is you run out of max frontal area before you even hook up
Remember you are pulling a giant sail down the road borrow an enclosed trailer that is as close to the same height and width as the camper first then tow it down the road with nothing in it. You will see how under powered the Arcadia is even with minimal weight behind it.
I believe the max frontal area is around 50 sq feet. Better then a minivan but still not enough for a full sized camper maybe a good old high low
Old 06-16-2018, 12:13 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNWCamper7 View Post
We have a 2014 GMC Acadia with tow package. That's rated for 5200 tow, 600 hitch, GVWR 6459, CCC 1398, GCWR 10450. We were interested in getting an Apex Nano 193BHS with a GVWR of 4700.

So now I'm thinking, for the price of getting a new TT plus an upgraded TV, why don't I just get a used class C RV instead?

So am I being too cautious and my existing TV will be fine with a small (20 ft) TT? Am I right and I should go straight from tent to RV?
Let's crunch some numbers. Your Acadia weighs around 4850 lbs. Add in at least another 500 lbs for the family and "stuff". Now you're up 5350 lbs. 10450 minus 5350 is 5100. So you're good, theoretically. I think tongue weight is going to be where you cut it really close. But it really depends on how much gear you carry in the Acadia and the trailer. Personally, I'd feel a lot more comfortable towing with a half ton pickup.

As for the Class C, their tow capacity is 5000 lbs for anything you'd be looking at. Your Acadia is just about at the limit. Check your door jamb sticker to see if there is an actual weight for your vehicle. If not, weigh it at a Cat scale with a full tank of gas. The more options you have, the more it will weigh. If yours is loaded, you may even be over 5000 lbs.

If it were me, I'd be looking at a new tow vehicle. That would also allow you to get something a little bigger, because those kids are going to grow way faster than you realize. That way you won't be upgrading to a new tow vehicle AND a new trailer in a few years. As the old saying goes...It's better to buy your second trailer the first time around.
AlaskaErik is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 02:17 AM   #10

I would look at stepping up to a half ton truck and getting a larger TT for the weeds you are raising. They grow quick!
Old 06-16-2018, 06:43 AM   #11
NH Maple Maker

You are thinking on the right path to skip the PUP and go to something with hard sides. My recommendation would be to up grade to a 1/2 ton pick up with a crew cab and a TT with tandem axles. The CC pick up will make a great daily driver to replace the SUV.

If you don't mind canvas, hybrid TT's have a lot of room inside for those rainy days. I don't like canvas so I went with a 27' TT with a slide out. There are many floor plans available to suit your needs. Buying used is a good idea because a TT that is a couple of years old already has the bugs worked out of it. The same goes for the TV, there are a lot of good used trucks out there.

I'm an auto service technician and because of the added maintenance of having another motorized vehicle to maintain I would shy away from the class C. It's not good to let a motorized vehicle sit around so unless you go camping a lot that class C is going to be sitting around with tires, brake lines, exhaust system, batteries and other things deteriorating.

2014 V Cross VIBE 822VRBS

2017 Silverado 1500 crew cab 4x4
russhd1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 07:09 AM   #12

We had a single axle hard side that was supposed to work well with the numbers for our Tacoma pickup. The truck turned out to be a marginal tow vehicle on the highway..so then we bought the class C. It is currently for sale, as we have too many engines to keep up with and towing a car is a bother. Wish we had got a new pickup in the first place, even though the new truck would cost almost what the class C did. IF you could camp without needing the car the class C is a great way to travel.
retireearly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 03:11 PM   #13

Huh, that's a good point about motor vehicles (class c) not dealing well with sitting around unused for long periods of time. I hadn't really considered that before. We weren't really excited about getting a truck as a daily driver as it's already a pain to park the Acadia in the parking spots you find in the city. I understand why this trailer vs rv debate always comes up, it's not an easy decision but I guess if you only do a couple (3-4) trips a year a TT + truck combo might hold up better over time.
PNWCamper7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 04:08 PM   #14

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNWCamper7 View Post
Hello,

We've always tent camped, but with 2 young kids (5 and 2) it has been getting harder and harder. I know the normal progression is tent > PUP > TT > RV, but I'd like to skip the PUP step and go straight to a TT or RV because part of our issue is trying to get our kids to go to sleep at a reasonable hour when both neighbors have bright lanterns turned up to max and are being loud drinking around the camp fire... so we kind of want something with solid walls that can block out light, and maybe a little more sound protection than a nylon tent wall.

On paper this should work, and I know a few people have made similar setups work, but it seems like more people with setups like this end up deciding that it's not working well and invariably get a bigger TV. I called my service department to see what they thought and they pretty much said I shouldn't tow anything bigger than a PUP and that he would avoid towing anything more than 2500lb.

So at this point I'm thinking if I buy any kind TT that can sleep 4 (without using the dinette as a bed) there is a greater than 50% chance that I'll end up upgrading my TV.

This post is a disaster and too long for anyone to read but at least it helped me get my thoughts out. Thanks for listening.
You might consider a company called Parkway rv . com out of Ringgold, Ga. they have a great selection of class c motorhomes with great prices.
Flagstaff v-lite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 06:04 PM   #15

Have you checked into thr R Pod. They are supposed to be able to be towed with an SUV. Just a thought.
2014 RZR XP 1000
Days Camped in '18- 106
Days Camped in ‘19- 23
Tucson Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 06:05 PM   #16

We camped when DW was expecting the first until the kids were near graduation. We went with a class C merely because nearly all of our trips included towing a boat. We even lived in it while building our second home. It did us well for 13 years.

What you are asking depends on what is affordable. Don't get yourself over extended or you won't enjoy any of it. Had we not been towing a boat, It would have been more prudent to have a daily driver/TV and a TT. A TT has more usable room per foot as-well-as less expense with the drive train of an A or C.
DW, at times, was using the Class C as a grocery hauler and that wasn't cool.
PenJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 08:22 PM   #17

Lots of good suggestions from members here. Consider renting a trailer for a weekend that is as similar to the size and weight you are looking at. You will then have firsthand knowledge to help you make a decision on what (not) to do.
Tiguan Tow r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 09:01 PM   #18
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flagstaff v-lite View Post
You might consider a company called Parkway rv . com out of Ringgold, Ga. they have a great selection of class c motorhomes with great prices.
The OP lives in Washington State.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 07:13 AM   #19

Acadia for tow

PNW, I have a 16 Acadia, tow pkg, same numbers. Our TT is an 18 21FBRS. Curb wgt 4200 per yellow tag. Along with 10,000 lb Equalizer wdh, a Furrion FOS48TA observation cam. I try to keep my speed to 60 - 65, hardly know it’s back there. With the back up cam on the A, hooking up is a snap, backing into a spot is easy. Logged almost 5000 mi so far, love it. Couple weeks, will put 3 grands in it and head out for a long wknd, wouldn’t do that if I didn’t feel safe. The rough part was seeing my warranty go by like a long flash of lightening. Hope this helps.
Old 06-17-2018, 01:42 PM   #20
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakesdr View Post
PNW, I have a 16 Acadia, tow pkg, same numbers. Our TT is an 18 21FBRS. Curb wgt 4200 per yellow tag. Along with 10,000 lb Equalizer wdh, a Furrion FOS48TA observation cam. I try to keep my speed to 60 - 65, hardly know it’s back there. With the back up cam on the A, hooking up is a snap, backing into a spot is easy. Logged almost 5000 mi so far, love it. Couple weeks, will put 3 grands in it and head out for a long wknd, wouldn’t do that if I didn’t feel safe. The rough part was seeing my warranty go by like a long flash of lightening. Hope this helps.
You live in the Midwest. The OP has to deal with real mountains out West, so his towing needs will differ.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
camper