Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-29-2019, 07:45 PM   #1

New TV setting up weight distribution hitch

Hi - Traded 4Runner in on a f-150 (3.5L twin turbo max tow 11500 lbs., gas filled shocks) We're towing a Freedom xpress 192RBS (dry weight 3850 LBS). The hitch and weight distb. was set up by the TT dealer in conjunction with the 4Runner.

Put the hitch on the F150 today and hooked up. When I got to a good flat surface I measured the front end and back end of the TT with a difference of 1 1/2 inches. On the F150, front wheel well and back wheel well were exactly the same from the pavement. Everything looked good. Tried to connect the weight distb bars and the chains were just short of reaching the hook on the saddle (usually hooked onto the 3rd link with the 4Runner).

Do I need to raise or lower the ball receiver in order to get the chains to reach the saddle hooks or do I even need the weight distb bars with this rig and TV?

Just trying to stay safe.
KingJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 09:34 PM   #2

Just guessing that in moving to the F-150, your trailer is now nose-high by 1 1/2"; logically the 4-Runner profile is lower, compared to the F-150, by at least that much. So I would first re-set your hitch to even-out the trailer. This means (again, guessing) lowering the hitch ball by one or two holes. A picture of your Freedom Express 192RBS hitched to the F-150 will help stir up some responses. Yes, you will need to continue using your weight distribution hitch as the 192RBS has a GVWR of 6,000 lbs.

Go West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 09:44 PM   #3

Get your trailer perfectly parallel to the ground and then measure the height of the coupler where the ball is going to sit inside. You then set the height of the ball at the setting that is higher than that.

After you do that you need to set the hitch head angle according to the instructions of your WDH. Without knowing what hitch you have, setting up that may vary.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hitch, weight, weight distribution hitch