Old 04-07-2015, 12:25 AM   #11

I have an Airlift rear bags setup on a 2015 Silverado towing a 5500 lb Rockwood. I doubt if airbags will help a whole lot with sway, they do stiffen the suspension quite a bit though. Cost about $400 with onboard compressor and in cab control. Just bought the trailer and towed it 400 miles with a single dealer supplied cheapo anti sway bar, has way too much sway. Looking at this -

Equalizerhitch.com $475 shipped on Amazon

Wingdreamer let us know how it works out. If anyone has experience with this brand please input. If I had it to do over (this is my first RV) probably would have looked at a combo weight distributing/ anti sway hitch. Have towed a 23' boat and a tractor that weighed as much as the RV but those were no comparison to towing a "box".

I see some comments on truck tires. What about the trailer tires? The ones that came on my trailer are some brand I never heard of. In my case it seems the trailer is the problem more so than the truck. Just wondering if stiffer trailer tires would be a big improvement?

Old 04-07-2015, 05:32 PM   #12

Where exactly is that load range rating? I have P265/R17 but it also has an E4 in a box and circle before that.
I was looking at this exact trailer and it supposedly has D rated tires. I want to be sure I can pull it since it will be my first trailer.

Old 04-09-2015, 11:07 PM   #13

This is all great info thank you guys. I pick up my 272bhs on Monday. I will be pulling it with an 05 f150 5.4l 4x4 factory tow package and 3.55 gears. With some computer mods tow tune installed running on 265/70r17 tires with 115t load rating. Will have a equlizer 10k wd with sway control. Also installed. Second trans cooler. Will let you all know how the trip goes. Also will be running the tires at the max 44 psi for these tires.
Old 04-10-2015, 10:30 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilrascal View Post
This is all great info thank you guys. I pick up my 272bhs on Monday. I will be pulling it with an 05 f150 5.4l 4x4 factory tow package and 3.55 gears. With some computer mods tow tune installed running on 265/70r17 tires with 115t load rating. Will have a equlizer 10k wd with sway control. Also installed. Second trans cooler. Will let you all know how the trip goes. Also will be running the tires at the max 44 psi for these tires.
Hi, what did you use for the trans cooler? Did you add it, or replace the stock oem unit in front of the rad? Any pics?
Old 04-10-2015, 10:32 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowhnter View Post
Where exactly is that load range rating? I have P265/R17 but it also has an E4 in a box and circle before that.
I was looking at this exact trailer and it supposedly has D rated tires. I want to be sure I can pull it since it will be my first trailer.
The main thing is to look at a tire size that starts with "LT" as opposed to "P". This puts you in light truck tire sizing and load range... Much stiffer sidewalls and greater weight capacity.
Old 04-10-2015, 10:55 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingdreamer View Post
Hi, what did you use for the trans cooler? Did you add it, or replace the stock oem unit in front of the rad? Any pics?
I bought the Hayden 516 cooler I am leaving the stock cooler in the truck going to run from the out if the stock one into the in on the Hayden. I also bought the fittings to not have to cut the stock lines. No pictures yet because I haven't done the install yet. Should be doing it either today or tomorrow. Will add pictures when I do it. This cooler will be a tight fit but will be great for it. Heat is the number 1 reason transmissions fail.
Old 04-10-2015, 12:10 PM   #17

OP, have you actually loaded the TT for camping? And how are you setting up your WD hitches. What process are you going thru to get the truck setup. If your having truck sway issues then maybe you don't have your truck setup right as far as weight transfer goes. Read the truck manual on setting up your WD. You're always going to have some sway issues with your truck and TT. That long and heavy of TT will always push your truck around. A 3/4 ton would solve your problems. It's not in the cards I'm sure but that's the reality of it. Anytime you get near the 7000lb TT range and are towing with a 1/2 ton you start to get into sway areas. Just the nature of the game. Make sure your TT and truck tires are aired up to max sidewall psi before towing.

Make sure you have the proper TW on the TT and that the WD is setup properly so that your truck is dialed in. Air up the tires to max psi and then see if you still have issues before spending $800-1000.00 on tires.

FWIW the Andersen has trouble with higher TW. If you get in the 850-900lb range then you won't be able to setup the truck up correctly. The EQ with 4pt sway control is the better of the two for weight transfer.

I-84 thru the Gorge is a bad place to tow. I don't think it ever stops blowing there. I guess that's why its one of the top windsurfing destinations. Not sure if any setup is I-84 proof.
Old 04-12-2015, 09:40 PM   #18

Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1428888955931.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	288.8 KB
ID:	74054cooler mountedClick image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1428889006782.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	218.4 KB
ID:	74055cooler line connectionsClick image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1428889063559.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	225.2 KB
ID:	74056adaptors used to connect the new cooler. I had to cut the line because the fitting at the oem cooler wasn't what I thought it wasClick image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1428889153132.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	334.6 KB
ID:	74058Total install took about an hour and I'm seeing about a 10 degree temp drop with just driving around town. Tomorrow will be the test when I go pick up the new toy.
Old 04-12-2015, 10:14 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilrascal View Post
Attachment 74054cooler mountedAttachment 74055cooler line connectionsAttachment 74056adaptors used to connect the new cooler. I had to cut the line because the fitting at the oem cooler wasn't what I thought it wasAttachment 74058Total install took about an hour and I'm seeing about a 10 degree temp drop with just driving around town. Tomorrow will be the test when I go pick up the new toy.
Looks good! Not seeing the stock trans cooler like mine (runs horizontal, about half way up from the bottom, snaps into 2 black plastic brackets). Is that silver one at the bottom your factory cooler?
Old 04-12-2015, 10:16 PM   #20

Yes that is my stock cooler. Thank you I'm a auto technician for a living and I try to make all my work look as good as possible

Tags
towing, vibe