Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-12-2015, 09:27 PM   #21

Anyone have experience with the dual cam sway control. A friend of mine said it is much better than the friction control. Any opinions
vibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 09:50 PM   #22

I had trouble with my Anderson until I welded some brackets in place on the frame. If the stock brackets shift forward (and the manual says this is ok) I found that the two brackets were not the same distance from the ball which would cause the bushings under load to pull the trailer more to one side than the other. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1428893099.920510.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	100.4 KB
ID:	74064Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1428893111.485668.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	105.9 KB
ID:	74065

I agree that the tires may be causing an issue also and recommend to air them up to max sidewall psi and see how that feels before running out and buying new tires.

As for your suspension, I was also suffering from a squishy 1/2 ton suspension. I purchased sumo springs to assist and it helped greatly with my rear end sag and much better ride quality.

Give it a try- took me a little while to get set but very happy now

Just glad to get away
HONDAMAN174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 09:19 AM   #23

Doh! I'm on so many F150 Forums that I just realized that you might not be driving a F150.... Thus, difference in oem trans coolers.....
Old 04-13-2015, 09:26 AM   #24

No I am it's an 05 f150 5.4l with factory tow. They had a change in 09 and you have a 10 right
Lilrascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 09:57 AM   #25

yes correct. thx!
Old 04-13-2015, 10:25 AM   #26

Just an FYI to the OP since he specifically referenced not having MaxTow:

There is very little difference in the rear suspension on a MaxTow and a non MaxTow- at least this was the case on the 2013 models. In fact, my 2013 with the 20" wheel option has the EXACT same rear axle and suspension (sans the 3.73 gears- I have 3.55s) as the MaxTows do. Therefore, the MaxTow package would have had NO impact on what you are experiencing. Just wanted to throw that out there in case you are thinking you should have gone that route.

Here is what I suggest:
Upgrade to LT tires
Stiffer rear shocks
Air bags
Upgrade to a ProPride 3P hitch- it is pricey, but it is unbelievable how well a rig tows with one.
dustman_stx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 04:18 PM   #27

My trailer is at the dealership getting some warranty work done. In the mean time I did a couple things I hope may help out a bit.

First off I mentioned to the dealer service dept that it felt pretty squirrelly and asked them to have a peek at the trailer itself to make sure everything is good on that end.

On the truck I installed firestone airbags and a hellwig rear sway bar. Dont know how much difference it will make towing but dry it sure handles nice.

I've looked at alot of the other hitches and sure they may be nice but the Vibe has an enclosed front end and from the photos I've seen of the hensley and propride and such I'm just not seeing how they would fit on my trailer. Not to mention they're danged expensive! I couldnt even use my original Eaz Lift weight distribution saddles, had to use some straight bracket non moving type to get even those chains to work.

If any of this improves things I may be convinced to go with LT tires if there hasnt been any change at all I'm just going to get used to a trailer that's no fun to take anywhere. I guess....
Markwie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 07:46 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markwie View Post
My trailer is at the dealership getting some warranty work done. In the mean time I did a couple things I hope may help out a bit.

First off I mentioned to the dealer service dept that it felt pretty squirrelly and asked them to have a peek at the trailer itself to make sure everything is good on that end.

On the truck I installed firestone airbags and a hellwig rear sway bar. Dont know how much difference it will make towing but dry it sure handles nice.

I've looked at alot of the other hitches and sure they may be nice but the Vibe has an enclosed front end and from the photos I've seen of the hensley and propride and such I'm just not seeing how they would fit on my trailer. Not to mention they're danged expensive! I couldnt even use my original Eaz Lift weight distribution saddles, had to use some straight bracket non moving type to get even those chains to work.

If any of this improves things I may be convinced to go with LT tires if there hasnt been any change at all I'm just going to get used to a trailer that's no fun to take anywhere. I guess....

That's the reason I didn't get a Vibe. I have a ProPride and refuse to tow with a standard friction type system now. The Equalizer brand hitch is going to probably be your best bet on hitches. LT tires will help.
Old 04-27-2015, 08:46 AM   #29

I agree. Try the equalizer hitch.

2015 HW296
2006 HW256 (previous pup)
2013 Chevy Tahoe
Equalizer WDH 10000#
vinmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 08:55 AM   #30

I have the equalizer hitch in mine and so far so good
Lilrascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 09:15 PM   #31

A short and quick update:

I installed firestone airbags and aired them up to 45psi.

Also installed Hellwig rear sway bar.

I took a short trip on the freeway and although I could still feel a little influence on the TV it was substantially reduced. This was running the Eaz lift with 801-1200lb bars and the P tires aired up to 44psi.

I scaled the truck and trailer and although I had too much fence repair crap in the truck bed I was 400lbs over rear GAWR on my truck. Not sure how big a deal this is on my axle.

I can do some cutting on the trailer propane tank mount and move the chain saddles back to where they should sit and I could then grab another link on the WD bars to try to transfer more weight. Before I do that though I am going to re try the Andersen with the airbags and see if I can get it to transfer weight properly since it wont have to lift the trailer. Of course I will get the extra crap out of my truck before hitting the scales.

I'm not worried about going over GVWR on the truck as long as I can get close to my GAWR numbers on my axles and she tows tamely.

I'm not a cross country tower rather a 600 mile roundtrip max tower.

Yeah I've looked into a newer F350 diesel but another 11K after I trade my 150 is a serious OUCH.
Markwie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 11:36 AM   #32

My Silverado 2500 Duramax pulling my 26 foot 6600 lb trailer through the gorge can be scary at times, I can only imagine what it was like with your setup!
Tonkatoy77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 08:23 PM   #33
Vibe 268RKS

Vibe 268 Towing

We recently traded our Rockwood Mini-Lite 1905 in towards a 2016 Vibe 268RKS, however we kept the PRO Series 8,000 lb weight distribution and anti-sway setup. We then immediately took off and towed it 1,400 miles. While it stayed behind our RAM 1500 (Hemi with tow package), the 268RKS really taxed the 8,000 limit of the bars.

We decided to replace the PRO Series 8,000 lb with the Equalizer 4 point/10,000 lb weight distribution system. We then headed out on a 900 mile round trip--it towed great, no wiggle on the Interstates or regular roads (and no need for anti-sway bar), hardly knew it was there. Would recommend the Equalizer 4 point/10,000 system for this unit.
eastwood320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 08:51 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastwood320 View Post
We recently traded our Rockwood Mini-Lite 1905 in towards a 2016 Vibe 268RKS, however we kept the PRO Series 8,000 lb weight distribution and anti-sway setup. We then immediately took off and towed it 1,400 miles. While it stayed behind our RAM 1500 (Hemi with tow package), the 268RKS really taxed the 8,000 limit of the bars.

We decided to replace the PRO Series 8,000 lb with the Equalizer 4 point/10,000 lb weight distribution system. We then headed out on a 900 mile round trip--it towed great, no wiggle on the Interstates or regular roads (and no need for anti-sway bar), hardly knew it was there. Would recommend the Equalizer 4 point/10,000 system for this unit.

Keep in mind that the equalizer 4 point has the anti away built in. Neither necessary nor feasible to use a friction bar with it.

Tags
towing, vibe